Author Topic: Saturday's Fest Highlight  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday's Fest Highlight
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 04:18:25 PM »
To identify each other, we can write "DS Forums Member" (in easy-to-read print) on our walkers

[ghost_cheesy]  But one would hope that walkers are at least a few decades off.  [ghost_happy]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Cast Reunion: Kathryn just got back from New York. Said she's reached that stage in her career where she's doing commercials for osteoporosis.

It's a sad day when you see Gidget doing a commercial for osteoprosis. Who would have thunk?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »
Well the way I look at it is these actors and actresses have had such an impact on the television viewing and movie audience over the years and people trust them so what a better face to attach to a product.  I think American audiences tend to think it is lowering yourself to do a commercial but major movie stars do them in Europe and Japan all the time selling cars and perfumes etc.  I know I tend to watch a commerical more closely if I recognize the people in it.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 06:37:28 PM »
I don't see it that way. I find it interesting how companies are starting to catch on that celebrities can sell the product. Before I got my cable cut, I was seeing plenty of commercials endorsed by stars, be they Sally Field's medication, Jamie Lee Curtis's yogurt, or Liv Tyler's Nintendo DS. Though I don't think, "Oh, Carrie Underwood's playing Nintendogs, I need to get a copy," it does draw my attention to the commercial. Males tend to appear in voice only, though. I've seen a couple of Kelsey Grammer car commercials, and then there are those HP ads; I've heard Tim Allen, Jack Black, and Jerry Seinfeld on there. Celebrity endorsements are becoming more and more common, although they sometimes draw up discomfort. (Buffy Spoiler)[spoiler]I saw an Advil ad with Kristine Sutherland talking about her horrible headaches. O_O[/spoiler]

Anyway, my warm wishes to those at the Fest, and thanks to Joe for putting up the video. I got a kick out of that.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 07:27:53 PM »
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 12:51:27 AM »
You forget that Roger's been in the real estate business for years now and has made a killing at it.  If he made such a profit recently after surving open heart surgery, he has a right to shout out the news!

I guess. [ghost_undecided] Maybe it's the southern (like Louis) coming out in me.  I just think talking about how much money you make is tacky.  PEROID!  JMO  And not I hadn't forgotten he had been in it for years I am well aware he has been in real estate.  JMO though.  Please don't think I am being rude.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:27 AM »
I imagine there are legal problems with selling video from cons, or else I'd have a few by now.   Still I want them badly. 

Technically, anytime footage of an actor is sold, the actor should get a piece of the action if they are union.  However, there are people like Jenny Brown Fagan and Joe Integlia (sometimes Guy Haines) who sell festival footage. What they cannot sell is performance video from the cons by any one of the actors. The panel discussions and so on has been sold in the past but usually the videographer selling the footage charges just for his or her time and the material used.

Nancy

Offline *starshine*

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • norwegiangal
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 04:55:14 AM »
I didn't attend the whole fest or even a major part of it, even though it was in my own backyard.  I heard that there were about 1500 folks attending the festival.  I also heard that the participants of the talent show last night were quite amazing and there were some great singers and clever lyrics presented.

I heard the auction went well and there was a lot of items that went for $$.

I did get to peek around in the autograph line today....I didn't even recognize Roger Davis.  He does not look well at all.  While I agree mentioning what you sold a house for is not really proper, the fact that he was able to sell anything in this market is remarkable....especially here in Southern California.

Marie Wallce was so nice and accomodating and KLS looked gorgeous- loved the pink shoes that matched her top.

Peeked into the conference room and Mr. Frid was entertaining all with his stories....the room was packed and of course, very attentive.

Was nice to see old friends and make some new ones, even if it was a very short visit for us.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 06:19:44 AM »
Thank you Joe for sharing that video of Jonathan Frid and John Karlen. That was so nice of you. [ghost_smiley]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:39 PM »
Does anyone have anything about NODS?   And did anyone see the lost script they performed from 1968!!??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
OMG! That's a riot! I wish I could have been there to see that. And thanks for the video!

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »
Does anyone have anything about NODS?   And did anyone see the lost script they performed from 1968!!??

I didn't stay for the NODS presentation, but Jim Pierson told the audience that they would show the lost footage with restored audio that the actors recently dubbed. He said both films are coming to dvd soon!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »
Not just any scene - but a scene that's never been shown at any of Darren's previous presentations. That's VERY exciting for those of us who love NoDS.  [ghost_wink]  And as I mentioned elsewhere, if anyone would like to share details from the presentation, please post in the "Is NODS still being restored??" topic on Current Talk '08 II. Also, please share any interesting info from the Depp/DS film presentation in "It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp", also on that board. That way all of that sort of info will mostly be in one place and not scattered over several current boards and topics.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2008, 06:17:12 PM »
He talked about the similar goals between Abe Lincoln and Obama. He likes the fact that Obama offers hope and change. Said he will probably vote for Obama. Had the audience repeat the Gettysburg address after him in a sort of rap-style. he reminded me of a preacher in a Southern Baptist church. He tried to rally up the audience.

Ugh.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.