Author Topic: most annoying d s character  (Read 7387 times)

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: most annoying d s character
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 06:41:14 AM »
Geez, I'd forgotten how truly annoying some characters were.  Yep, I remember the Leviathan kid with the Brooklyn accent.
Aristede and Bruno Hess - scuzzballs in different centuries
Harry Johnson
John Yeager - I'd groan whenever he came on the screen.  Although I couldn't take my eyes off his
                    fake nose
Any Chris Pennock character but mostly Cyrus Longworth - what a BORE!
Abigail Collins
The entire Collinsport police department - these guys couldn't find their arses with their own hands!
Amanda Harris/Olivia Corey - amazing that she could even see beyond those spidery fake eyelashes.
Angelique in every incarnation - just plain rotten to the core.  I was happy whenever she was killed off
                    in a storyline and furious whenever she reappeared.  I don't get this sympathy for her. 
                    It smacks of "don't hate me coz I'm beautiful...even if I murdered half your family!"
                    Apparently, looks weren't enough to attract a hubby coz she had to threaten and blackmail
                    men to marry her.  What a prize.
Jeff Clark/Peter Bradford - too vanilla!
Vicki - just so out of it
And a nod to Dan Curtis for ending DS in 1840PT >:(

Countess

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2005, 08:54:46 AM »
Bill Malloy.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »
     I was really torn about this one.  All the characters have annoyed me at some point during the run of the series.  The actress who played Sarah Collins ruined the part.  Even when she played opposite some of the better actors, they could not improve her performance.  The character was supposed to be endearing not annoying.  I recall in the Dark Shadows remake series, the child cast as Sarah was more lovable and a better actress.  It is too bad that Denise Nickerson wasn't cast earlier at least she was a better actress.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2005, 10:45:48 PM »
This is a hard one for me to answer. There were a lot of characters I actively disliked and I am easily annoyed (the hair for the entire 1840PT crowd alone drove me bonkers), but to pick just one . . .

It's tempting to pick on the oeuvre of  Roger Davis again, but I think I'm going to have to pick Dr. Lang.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 01:28:53 AM »
* Jeff Clark - Need I say more? ;)
* Ned Stuart - Ugh. The way he treated his sister...
* Adam/Eve/Nicholas - Because of the storyline in general
* Dr. Lang - Mostly because of that recording. There are only so many times I can hear it and not go crazy. Once was enough for me, but it went on forever...
* Tom Jennings - I like Chris, but vampire Tom was hilariously hokey to me. It wasn't until Chris came on the scene that I realized that Donald Briscoe was in fact a very good actor.
* Abigail Collins - She actually reminds me of a relative of mine that I don't associate with anymore.
* Victoria after 1795 - What a shoddy way to do a good character...
* Petofi - Great villain, but his story just started to drag by the end of 1897 and it got a bit rediculous.
* Aristede - For no reason other than just being Aristede.
* Amanda Harris - Only because of what they did with her and Quentin.
* 1897 Trask - He was so dispicable.

I know there's more, those are just off the top of my head.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 05:10:29 AM »
Quote from: Countess
coz she had to threaten and blackmail men to marry her

LOL. Yep. Totally respect that everyone has a different opinion etc. etc. but, no matter how many times Barnabas said NO to Angelique!! No matter how many times Barnabas told Angelique he loved Josette and could NOT love her. No matter how miserable and glum he looked after he married her which happened because Angelique blackmailed the poor guy after nearly killing his little pre-teen sister by witchcraft and pretending to "cure" her (liar liar pants on fire).. people still feel somehow Barnabas loved her best. OK...whatever...
Angelique is a brilliant character but without genuine feeling for anyone except herself. It's Scarlett O'Hara going after Ashley, pure ego. She's annoying when on too much.

Sorry folks, bit I found Julia Hoffman irritating beyond belief when she started enabling Barnabas and took on the fluttering eyelashes, sad puttering looks, breathy voice and puppy-dog "love me if you love my master" persona. What happened to the cool-headed and cynical doctor who would have made a fantastic Vickie replacement as the casual (but, in this case, more intelligent) observer to the Collins family madness. Victoria Winters wasn't the only character they ruined.

Yes, I'll also go with Jeff Clark but I am still fond of Peter Bradford. Find nothing wrong with him at all.

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 07:08:39 AM »
What happened to the cool-headed and cynical doctor who would have made a fantastic Vickie replacement as the casual (but, in this case, more intelligent) observer to the Collins family madness. Victoria Winters wasn't the only character they ruined.

The cool-headed, cynical doctor was supposed to be killed off, remember?  I think the logic behind the character was that the audience dislike her so it wouldn't be TOO terrible when Barnabas killed her.  However, when Julia proved to be a hit with fans, they softened the character a bit to make her more 'likable' (?).  But she still had more guts than most of the men on the show IMO.  Granted, much as I love Julia, there were times when her doormat behavior had me fuming.  But then Barnabas would go and say something nice and...well, you know. 8)

I'm really enjoying reading all these wonderful replies to this topic.  Keep 'em coming cousins!

Countess

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 07:44:39 PM »
Have so enjoyed reading everyone's responses.  Am sorta in agreement with Midnite on this one, because to some degree, most of the characters get on my nerves at one time or another.

For much of the series Barnabas exhibits the emotional development of an obsessed thirteen year old; Julia becomes too much of a pushover; Roger is often a smug snob; David's a little devil; and Angelique is...well, pretty much psychotic.  Even gorgeous Quentin annoys with his self-involved, womanizing ways.

But as for some of the major offenders -

Abigail Collins - I also mentioned her upthread...she's just such a judgmental self-righteous bitch!

Hallie/Carrie Stokes - number one most annoying female, IMHO.  Hearing that grating whiny voice for any length of time is liable to give me an apoplexy.

Post 1795 Vicki - "I don't understand" why the writers chose to ruin this character.

Leviathan Kiddies - a good argument for Leviathan birth control.

Ned Stuart - is it wrong to have fantasies of putting this character into his sister's wheelchair and pushing him down a really steep hill?!?

Jeff Clark - what is up with that overcaffeinated hair pulling?  Seems like he's continually just about ready to pop a gasket.

Bruno - ahem, what is up with that hair in general?

Charity Trask - kind of a ninny until she got Pansy Fayeified.

PT1970 Maggie - get a backbone!

PT1970 Quentin - nice guy.  Except not.

John Yaeger - totally makes me want to take a shower every time I watch this character.  Ugh.

That was fun!!

CB
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2005, 08:41:40 PM »
Ned Stuart - is it wrong to have fantasies of putting this character into his sister's wheelchair and pushing him down a really steep hill?!?

Elsewhere, perhaps - but not on this forum. That fantasy seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction to him.  [b003]

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 11:04:33 PM »
* Jeff Clark
* Ned Stuart
* Dirk Wilkins
* Charles Delaware Tate
Peter Bradford was the only bearable Roger Davis character, IMO.

* Eric Lang - I was glad when he died.

* Sabrina Stuart (RT & PT) - I never cared for the character or her PT counterpart. She annoyed me to no end, and that wig didn't help matters much. I didn't care for Lisa Richards.

* Jeb Hawkes - Cheap, insufferable pig, indeed.

* Cyrus Longworth - Boring.

* John Yaeger - Ew.

* Adam

* Harry Johnson

* Maggie Evans (post-1969) - I think the writers really ruined the character of Maggie after the show returned to the present in late 1969. She was either the victim or she was annoying. I hated the way she acted when she "reunited" Paul and Carolyn - she was smirking while Carolyn became visibly upset.

* Maggie Evans Collins (PT) - She always annoyed me - what a push-over! I was rooting for Hoffman.

* Rachel Drummond - Nitwit.

* Burke Devlin - I only liked him after Anthony George took over the role. I thought Mitch Ryan was a good actor; Burke just annoyed me in the early episodes.

* Barnabas Collins - He annoyed me quite a bit from time to time. I honestly never felt that sorry for him, because it seemed like he'd always go to the docks and snack on some callgirl after telling someone how much he loathed being a vampire. x.X! He didn't mind killing innocent people, either - he never showed much remorse about killing Carl, for instance.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2005, 11:18:35 PM »
* Barnabas Collins - He annoyed me quite a bit from time to time. I honestly never felt that sorry for him, because it seemed like he'd always go to the docks and snack on some callgirl after telling someone how much he loathed being a vampire. x.X! He didn't mind killing innocent people, either - he never showed much remorse about killing Carl, for instance.

Whoa!.....a kindred spirit!!

I never felt sorry for him at ALL!!

But I can't call him the most annoying.

That just has to be Eric Lang..... :P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2005, 01:45:39 AM »
I never really cared for Sabrina, either--she was SO dull most of the time, and she wasn't even that attractive.  Unfortunately, when all the "main" actors went to make the movie, the boring Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde storyline took centre stage which meant Sabrina PT was on quite a bit.  I really never liked any of the Quentin incarnations after the original 1897 one.  Although I enjoyed his role in the Leviathan plot, Quentin was just an insufferable, hot-headed loony with little personality in Parallel Time--a perfect match for the equally vapid Maggie Collins PT.  Also, he was EXTREMELY stupid in the summer/autumn of 1970 plot following 1995--in fact, ALL the characters were brain dead; I don't understand why Julia and Barnabas even let that snotty Hallie Stokes into the house after waht they had seen or why Proessor Stokes really did go to Europe after what they had told him would happen.  (Don't get me wrong, though:  that storyline is one of my favourites.)  1840 Quentin got on my nerves, too--he was supposed to be a "mad scientist" character, but David Selby (or the writers) never really showed that side of him.  Oh, I just remembered one of THE most annoyineg characters (I'm surprised nobody mentioned her):  Joanna (1840).  My God, that woman could not act!  They used up a perfectly wonderful theme song for that awful, cloyingly-stupid character.  Oh, and I didn't care much for Roxanne PT--why did Barnabas fall instantly in love with her?  To clarify my earlier post, I should like to explain my dislike of Tim Shaw:  he was always a side, secondary character that advanced the plot.  That was basically it--those episodes featuring him with Charles Delaware Tate and Amanda Harris are positively excrutiating--the worst in the series, hands down.  I fast-forward or completely skip them every time.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2005, 02:06:06 AM »
The actress who played Sarah Collins ruined the part.  Even when she played opposite some of the better actors, they could not improve her performance.

Sadly, I agree. And it was a great role too with so much potential. She looked the part and you want to give kids a little slack but did she ever focus at anything except the monitor? Actually, it's interesting in the sense that with this actress I always knew where the line monitor was and found myself guessing where the cameras were too. A pleasant distraction. Her voice was also very high pitched and squeeky.

The child actress who played Amy was terrific.

I hear the actor who played Dr. Lang was a nice man but I thought he was an annoying actor and had no problems FF him....I did lots of FF with the Adam story.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2005, 03:08:24 AM »
I have to say that Daphne Harridge annoyed me.  Ugh!  I think she may have actually hastened the show's demise.  I just couldn't see what the fuss was all about with her and Quentin.  I thought that scenes between her and Gerard were much better than the ones with Quentin.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2005, 03:25:18 AM »
how about both of craig slocums characters:noah gifford and harry johnson.not just annoying but neither character served much of a purpose at all.bringing the actor from the 1795 story to the present was pointless.
both of his storylines could just have easily been told without him.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.