Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0160  (Read 721 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0160
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:05 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0160
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
Dr. Guthrie is a very inferior proto-Stokes.  That appears to have been my only observation.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
Carolyn gets a cold attitude towards her Uncle. He says she is getting to be more like him. I wonder where this is going. Elizabeth now just stares eerily ahead. Nice pay if you can get it. She is in a trance from which she may never recover. Carolyn agrees that her mother must go.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
Dr. Guthrie is a very inferior proto-Stokes.
Yes, they seem to be presenting Guthrie as a stereotypical dry academic.  Maybe the idea is to emphasize his trustworthiness, and therefore to make it believable that Carolyn gives in right away and agrees to let her mother be taken to a hospital.

I keep wondering: what sort of legal standing does Carolyn have?  Everybody seems to concede that the choice is hers, but unless she had a birthday recently, isn't she only 17?  Back then, I believe one became an adult at age 21, and she's a long way from that.

I also wonder about the physical details of Elizabeth's condition.  Diapers?  Dehydration?  Laura said the past and the future would cease to exist for Elizabeth, so maybe physically Elizabeth is in exactly in the condition she was in when the trance started - which could be very uncomfortable, depending on what that condition was.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
Carolyn is next of kin, even more so than Roger. And we're in the Collinwood Universe, so legal age doesn't always necesssarily apply.

In his usual charming manner, Roger immediately asks Dr. Guthrie, What are you a doctor of? And what are you doing here anyway?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Yes, they seem to be presenting Guthrie as a stereotypical dry academic.  Maybe the idea is to emphasize his trustworthiness, and therefore to make it believable that Carolyn gives in right away and agrees to let her mother be taken to a hospital.

I hadn't thought of that.   I could only get irritated at a 1967 show presenting a sort of "respectable" 1950s-ish (to me) guy as their new hired Expert and prospective Hero.   A lot of people were already losing respect for that kind of straight-laced, hollow sort of surface "respectability", but those people were generally too young to be in charge of TV programs...  You're right though, it's just that he's an academic, and to be accepted at Collinwood, he has to ooze cliche respectability.   Academics can exude more individuality and life though, as with good old Elliot.

I also wonder about the physical details of Elizabeth's condition.  Diapers?  Dehydration?  Laura said the past and the future would cease to exist for Elizabeth, so maybe physically Elizabeth is in exactly in the condition she was in when the trance started - which could be very uncomfortable, depending on what that condition was.

I wondered about the fact that time is supposed to have stopped for Liz, according to Laura, yet her processes seem to have slowed down, not stopped.   She has a slow heartbeat, not no heartbeat.   If she'd had no heartbeat though, they'd have rushed her to the ER immediately.   They needed the debate over getting her there, or not, and so gave her a bit of a heartbeat.  That means, though, that time is just very slowed down, so even if her first moments of Laura's ministrations were intensely unpleasant, she's not experiencing day after day of that hell, because of how little time is passing for her.   If time really was frozen, her experience of anything and everything would have stopped completely at that moment.   Without time, there is no experience.

On the other hand, if Laura was just being loose with her language, maybe time isn't literally affected in any way whatsoever.   Maybe it just looks that way.  Maybe Liz is just physically paralyzed.   In that case, I guess she would have been experiencing something very bad, for all this time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor