Author Topic: I don't understand my Karma?  (Read 5366 times)

Connie

Re:I don't understand my Karma?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2003, 08:27:53 AM »
i didn't realize we could only do it once per day. . .

Looks like you can do OTHER people, but can't do the same person more than once a day.  (Am I right, MB?)

uh. ..i don't know, you connie?? I mean we are such witty, wild women

We ARE????  ROFL

. . . who would smite us?

Well, you'd be surprised.  It's a cold, cruel world out there!  LOL

:'(

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2003, 08:28:44 AM »
i give this whole karma thing a way thumbs down.  one, i totally hate popularity contests.  and two, what are we doin', playing dugeons and dragons or something?  i'm sure now my character will be able to buy things cheaper at the marketplace.  oh boy!  if only that were so in real life. :)

p.s.  would someone go in and please change jounior to junior.  i'm not very picky about spelling normally since i'm such a rocket scientist at it but i just don't want someone to think i did it!  lol.....  victoria is amused....   ;D

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2003, 09:55:55 AM »
Okay, I am totally confused.  Where are these applaud and smite buttons?

Regards,

John

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2003, 06:43:32 PM »
Okay, I am totally confused.  Where are these applaud and smite buttons?
Hi John,

I gave instructions on page 1 to read Joseph Fung's explanation of the karma feature.  He wrote the mod, so I'm sure I couldn't explain it better.

i give this whole karma thing a way thumbs down.  one, i totally hate popularity contests.  and two, what are we doin', playing dugeons and dragons or something?  i'm sure now my character will be able to buy things cheaper at the marketplace.  oh boy!  if only that were so in real life. :)

The karma feature has been very popular on many sites.  It's all in good fun and was never intended to be taken too seriously.  You're not the first person to express hesitation about it (though your comments are certainly the most colorful ;)), but at this time we're not offering any opt out to members and we only ask that you give it a chance.

would someone go in and please change jounior to junior.  i'm not very picky about spelling normally since i'm such a rocket scientist at it but i just don't want someone to think i did it!  lol.....  victoria is amused....   ;D

MB took care of it.  Because YaBB SE is provided in many languages, this was just one of many words that showed up with a foreign spelling.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2003, 07:24:18 PM »
we're not offering any opt out to members and we only ask that you give it a chance

It's simple enough to opt oneself out, while others continue to participate.....just ignore your own numbers and don't smite or applaud anyone else!  I know that's not the response Midnite and MB were hoping for, but if you really object to 'karma', what could be easier?

rainey[/size]

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2003, 07:43:29 PM »
That's good advice, Rainey.  I personally don't care one way or the other about the smite or applaud thing.   I see it as just a little silliness or mischief. It's very easy to not pay attention to it for anyone who flat out doesn't like it.

Nancy

we're not offering any opt out to members and we only ask that you give it a chance

It's simple enough to opt oneself out, while others continue to participate.....just ignore your own numbers and don't smite or applaud anyone else!  I know that's not the response Midnite and MB were hoping for, but if you really object to 'karma', what could be easier?

rainey[/size]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2003, 07:56:15 PM »
read Joseph Fung's explanation of the karma feature.  He wrote the mod, so I'm sure I couldn't explain it better.

Actually, the mod turned out to be such a popular feature that it's been built into all the latest releases of YaBB SE. ;)

MB took care of it.  Because YaBB SE is provided in many languages, this was just one of many words that showed up with a foreign spelling.

Yes, - and others are bound to show up somewhere along the way as well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2003, 08:01:10 PM »

Actually, I think that's excellent advice. ;) It shouldn't be any harder to ignore the Karma feature than it might be to ignore any of the forum's other features.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2003, 08:03:23 PM »
That's good advice, Rainey.  I personally don't care one way or the other about the smite or applaud thing.   I see it as just a little silliness or mischief. It's very easy to not pay attention to it for anyone who flat out doesn't like it.

Very well put, Nancy. :)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2003, 08:16:14 PM »
. .we do have some very sensitive types here. . .

You know how sensitive I am about having certain 'behind the scenes' aspects exposed!  [I have remembered to close the shower door recently, tho, Connie! :o]

Ringo, Your Back-Door Man
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Connie

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2003, 09:05:57 PM »
You know how sensitive I am about having certain 'behind the scenes' aspects exposed!

Don't believe a word of it, folks.  He HANDED me the camera.

Ringo, Your Back-Door Man

:-*   ;)   :-*

-CLC
Quite possibly the Smite Record Holder (and with such little effort!)
(Soon to enter a 12-Step Program for Personality Improvement)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2003, 10:28:26 PM »
Well, I for one, have a complaint.  I was going to applaud my mom and try to give her self-esteem a boost, but I see that I don't have that option!  Is it because of my post count?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2003, 10:48:15 PM »
Well, I for one, have a complaint.  I was going to applaud my mom and try to give her self-esteem a boost, but I see that I don't have that option!  Is it because of my post count?

You have to become a full poster before you can use the Karma feature.

Nancy

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2003, 10:56:14 PM »
CLC
Quite possibly the Smite Record Holder (and with such little effort!)
(Soon to enter a 12-Step Program for Personality Improvement)

Connie, don't be surprised if some of your buddies are just busting your chops with the smite thing.   ;D

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2003, 11:19:34 PM »
Connie, don't be surprised if some of your buddies are just busting your chops with the smite thing.   ;D

With friends like that, who needs enemies? <giggle> (I've always wanted to say that.)

dom, who relinquishes his title to Connie. (We'll see for how long...)

PS - Hey, Con, looks like we'll be elected to be King and Queen of the smite prom. (Or would that be Queen & Queen? LOL!) ;)