Author Topic: The "B" Team in Spring 1970  (Read 3078 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: The "B" Team in Spring 1970
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 06:50:34 AM »
I don't mean to be critical, Magnus, but your ignorance is blazing through.  First, it's spelled Jekyll.  Second, Rebecca starred Laurence Olivier, not Cary Grant, and it so happens to be my favorite Hitchcock film, and the DS writers certainly did a good job in borrowing from the film for the 1970PT Angelique storyline.  In case you forgot (and you probably did!), in the film Rebecca stayed dead, whereas on DS Angelique came back to wreak all sorts of havoc, and she had a twin sister, something Rebecca DeWinter didn't have!    There were plenty of original twists to both of the "ripped-off" storylines you deplore.  Now that the episodes are on DVD, may I suggest you actually WATCH them, as well as Rebecca and any major film/TV version of Jekyll and Hyde you desire, including the fab Dan Curtis version starring Jack Palance!  The next time you post something so venal regarding the DS storyline, be sure to check your facts first!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Sorry about that ignorance of mine blazing through, and everything.    So, what, I left an "l" off "Jekyll"? 

I thought I'd stopped getting Notorious and Rebecca mixed up years ago.    I don't know why I do that.      "I don't mean to be critical."??  "Venal"??   I'm fully aware that the whole supernatural aspect with the twins, witchcraft, the wife coming back, was new.  (To me.  that may have come from someplace else too.)    I guess that part didn't interest me so much, except the end of Alexis was unusually jarring.    The storyline with Maggie's intimidation by Hoffman and her misunderstanding of the relationship of Angelique to Q, leading up to the window scene, was the same, and the payoff being the same was very frustrating to me.     The Jekyll (I'm trusting your spelling on that since you're the expert)-Hyde part was tiresome to me.    I don't care about any little details that might be different, nothing was fresh about it to me.

PT 1970 isn't an orphan child I've tied to the railroad tracks.    Nothing to get angry about.     You have some good points.    I've had the videotapes since 2002 and have watched them repeatedly.     I hope I get more out of PT someday.    
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 07:14:43 AM »
Apparently Quentin's different life choice was to be born in the 20th century, instead of the 19th.    If I'm wrong, and different choices could actually have led to what we saw in PT, please tell me.   

This isn't necessarily true.  Maybe the Quentin of 1897 PT was vastly different from 1897 RT Quentin, in that he married and had a son that survived, sans a werewolf curse, and this son had a son, who had a son etc...and at some point one of the descendants of the "original" 1897 PT Quentin named his son Quention after him.  Thus we have a 1970 PT man named Quentin after his ancestor and not under a werewolf curse.

Sound reasonable?   ;)

Well, Buzz, I have no choice but to say yes, since this is just what they did with 1840 and 1897 Quentin.    I do feel a bit stupid about this, but... I do remember thinking there was a lot of chaos that was unexplainable in PT, that they just made up on the spot.   But the only other thing I could think of was the twins being Stokeses.    It must have been that original Angelique showed up at Collinsport not witchy, not bitter, just happy to serve, and falls in love with Ben.    Alright, my memory does have certain problems for medical reasons, but was there anything else, or does PT 1970 actually make sense?!

As for Roger, has anyone noticed that for awhile in PT, he stopped being alternative sleazy no-good sarcastic layabout Roger, and started acting exactly like regular stuffy dignified responsible Roger?     Then eventually someone remembered and fixed this...?      
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 03:36:49 AM »
I abhor! the Yaeger/Hyde scenes, but, I personally enjoy PT Quentin. Perhaps because he's 'normal', ie not a supernatural creature.

Grayson was a hoot and 3/8ths!!

Angelexis was very enjoyable (and IIRC, she was not in HoDS).

The Roger part...I dunno, in PT, perhaps/maybe he could've killed someone in cold blood.

Also....we cannot forget the wonderful! terrific! William Loomis and his 'blushing'  ^-^ bride!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2005, 09:29:11 PM »
Well, Buzz, I have no choice but to say yes, since this is just what they did with 1840 and 1897 Quentin.    I do feel a bit stupid about this, but... I do remember thinking there was a lot of chaos that was unexplainable in PT, that they just made up on the spot.   But the only other thing I could think of was the twins being Stokeses.    It must have been that original Angelique showed up at Collinsport not witchy, not bitter, just happy to serve, and falls in love with Ben.    Alright, my memory does have certain problems for medical reasons, but was there anything else, or does PT 1970 actually make sense?!

LOL, well, I actually have never SEEN 1970 PT, I've only read the Concordance by Kathleen Resch...BUT, I *do* have it now on DVD, just have to get to it, I can't wait!  I've never seen Leviathan either (can't wait to see Barnabas driving!  Who taught him anyway?  ^-^)

I like your idea of a 1795 PT Angie showing up and will to be a servent who marries Ben, sounds like a great idea of a fan fic.  ;)  However, having just read the Concordance recently, the twins were actually his step-daughters, not biological ones.   :)

Regarding your thoughts that the writers just made it up as they went along, I think KLS once said at a Festival that that's EXACTLY what they did, LOL!  Good eye.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2005, 11:02:02 PM »
   I really enjoy the Rebecca -esque storyline with the looming presence of Quentin's dead wife affecting Maggie.  I also really like how things are sort of the inverse of what they are in RT.  For example, in PT Liz & Roger are the poor relations, Willie traps Barnabas in his coffin as opposed to releasing him from the coffin, Julia wants to destroy Barnabas instead of saving him, etc.  Really neat stuff, IMO.

I have to say, in all honesty, I haven't met a DS storyline I didn't like.  My least favorite is probably 1841 PT but there are lots of cool parts to that storyline too.  I enjoyed the lottery and the whole Wuthering Heights quality.  It was interesting and fun watching Frid and Parker in different roles.  My main gripe with 1841PT is the fact that they totally severed any link to the regular time-band.  As viewers, we always had a link to the regular time (Barnabas, Vicki, Julia, etc).  With 1841PT, the touchstone to the main time band was totally removed, which I personally didn't care for.  Despite that, I still enjoyed the storyline for what it was - a creative exercise in "let's see what it would have been like if Barnabas hadn't been turned into a vampire" mixed with Shirley Jackson's The Lottery.  Fun stuff, but I just wish it had some bearing on the regular time-band.

~Penny Dreadful~
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 12:49:21 AM »
I've never seen Leviathan either (can't wait to see Barnabas driving!  Who taught him anyway?  ^-^)

Buzz, if I'm not mistaken, the driving occurs prior to PT; Vicki is in automobile w/Barnabas. [spoiler]It's actually before the Adam storyline. It's why Barnabas has to go to hospital, etc.[/spoiler]
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 01:50:10 AM »
Vicky was driving the car in the episode.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 04:24:34 AM »
Buzz, if I'm not mistaken, the driving occurs prior to PT; Vicki is in automobile w/Barnabas.

I believe BuzzH is referring to [spoiler]the Leviathan episode where Barnabas runs down Grant Douglas (aka Quentin).  Barnabas is the driver in that episode.[/spoiler]
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 04:13:45 PM »
Vicky was driving the car in the episode.

Very true, it was Vickie driving and she swerved to miss mowing down Jeff Clark and that's when the accident occured.  (Don't we all wish she'd mowed him down in light of who played him, LOL!)   >:D

Getting back to Barnabas driving, he was actually able to drive before Leviathan.  During the 1968 storyline, I'm not sure exactly when and can't remember if it was when Quentin and Beth were haunting Collinwood, but he has to drive somewhere for some reason, and Stokes let's him borrow his car.  Stokes goes to the Old House and says he left his car by the gate w/the keys in it for Barnabas to borrow.  But we don't actually *see* him driving in that instance.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 12:44:58 AM »
it was Vickie driving and she swerved to miss mowing down Jeff Clark and that's when the accident occured.

Are you sure it wasn't Bozo Bradford that she was trying to avoid hitting? As I recall, the oversized clown shoes may have been a dead giveaway.

And no, I haven't completely lost it.  ;D  Check out:

I can think of one other actor's shoes (heh) that Bozo the clown could've stepped into successfully-- Roger Davis'.  Particularly as lawyer Peter Bradford.  ;D

Sort of like this:

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 03:49:12 AM »
In watching these great episodes from Spring 1970 on DVD again, I do notice at first that as the filming of HODS began, there was an effort made to have at least one of the HODS actors in a PT episode.  After a week or so, from about the tape date of about March 23rd (the 1st day of HODS filming) to April 27th it's strictly the "B" team, with the blessed additions of Misses Laurence and Eis and the return of Jerry Lacy to DS.  David Henesy does make a few episodes, but to repeat my earlier question, why didn't Curtis and Miner bring back other DS regulars to fill in the gaps left by Frid, Hall, Scott et al?  Why weren't Chris Bernau of Geoffrey Scott asked back?  And what about Humbert Allen Astredo- he played Dr. Forbes in HODS, and he was brought back for 1840, so why not PT- he was (and is) a popular figure for his roles on the show.  OK, Donna McKechnie was doing "Company" on Broadway, but she could've been asked to play Jennifer Evans (a part that may have been Marie Wallace's if she hadn't left for "Somerset"- either that character or Buffie Harrington). Fortunately for us, there are great moments in those four "B Team" weeks- John Yeager makes his first onscreen appearance as Angelique returns bigtime (I defy you to say that the Angelique/Alexis confrontation-body switch isn't one of the most heartstopping episodes in DS history), the late Paula Laurence makes a lasting impression in her all-too-brief role as Hannah Stokes, the intro of Buffie and Dameon Edwards' ghost, and Jerry Lacy as a butler Trask!