Author Topic: In defense of Quentin & Amanda?!  (Read 1170 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
In defense of Quentin & Amanda?!
« on: November 19, 2006, 10:04:09 PM »
I might be tarred, feathered and run out of town for this, but after watching more of boxset 16 last night I became a bit more convinced about the relationship between Quentin & Amanda Harris. While I do think that the timing of their sudden relationship was a bit off, it is apparent to me at least, that he does in fact love Amanda very much.

This all comes about with the evolution of Quentin's character, which over the course of his storyline is one of the most extreme. When we first travel to 1897 and meet the living Quentin, he's a jerk, and a dangerous one at that. Never above using schoolyard tactics of brutality to get what he wants, he attacks, threatens and manipulates and thinks nothing of his actions because he has never had to deal with real consequences before. He is not above using Jamison, the person he cares the most about in the world, as bait in games to conjure up the Devil. Life is one huge game for him. Things abruptly change when he "accidentally" murders Jenny. Suddenly he's being punished for his actions, and punished hard. The family name, his money or his charm are not going to get him out of this one.

Shortly after this we see the arrival of Petofi. With both he and Trask working on turning the family insane, though not together, and for different motives. It is up to Quentin to hold the place together and act as the head of the family. He now has people other than himself to care for and think about. This feeling is multiplied by the sobering realization that he has children he never knew about. Because of his earlier actions, his children are now being punished with the same affliction he suffers. Sins of the Father and all that.

It is the next two actions he takes in acts of redemption that damn him most of all. First is his deal with Angelique. His hand in marriage for the life of Jamison. The consequences of this are disastrous. Beth contemplates suicide, an act that causes Jamison to want nothing more to do with him, followed by Beth's attempt to murder him in revenge. Only swift intervention by Petofi saved him. At this point Quentin has no one to turn to for compassion. Beth and Jamison are out of the picture, Barnabas is on the run, and Angelique, whose motives are always questionable, is not in the least trustworthy.

Petofi steps in with the key to Quentin's salvation, but for a monumental price. Suddenly he is being told to destroy the one person who ever really understood what he was going through, the only true ally he ever had, Barnabas Collins. His newly discovered conscience prevails and he cannot bring himself to do it, not matter what Petofi threatens.

Enter Amanda Harris. A breath of fresh air to his surroundings. She knows nothing of his past behaviors, curses or pacts. Where as Beth knew every dirty secret he ever had. It is evident that the way he treats Beth and Amanda are completely different. He was passionate about Beth, wanted her at first and then needed her when life suddenly took a turn for the worse. Even still, he ran around on her, and quite often. Beth knew about it, but perhaps turned a blind eye towards it thinking she could change him in the end. Perhaps Beth's position as a servant compounded the situation, for as much as they went through together her station was beneath his. At times when he doesn't need her he is coarse and dismissive. It is only her devotion to him that keeps her around for so long.

On the other hand he is extremely protective of Amanda. He is devoted to keeping her safe from the dangers that are life at Collinwood. He is never rude or condescending to her, much the opposite. It is worth noting that when Quentin and Beth fought, she referred to him as much less than a gentleman, while Amanda defends his character to Tim Shaw as being that of a gentleman.

I'm curious as to what other people think. Personally I've found Amanda's character that much more tolerable, and her search for Quentin in the future, as well as her pact with Mr. Best, that much more endearing to her character.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: In defense of Quentin & Amanda?!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 05:46:16 AM »
I don't hate Amanda as a character. Quite the opposite, actually, I like her. She did bring a new breath into the house and she provided a storyline that got Tim Shaw to try to get revenge, which I liked. But as for her and Quentin.....

It could be argued that she and Quentin's relationship was REAL. And, in fact, I believe it was. But the question is who did he belong with, who did he TRULY love. He did love Amanda. Otherwise he wouldn't have told Angelique off at the train station, and he would have left her to kill Amanda. After all, his previous treatment of women didn't really seem to support his actions. But his character development did.

I think the reason Quentin latched on to Amanda was because she knew nothing of his past, and new nothing of her past. He was wishing that he could let everything go, including Beth's death, and start a new life with her. She had no real past before she met him, and he had a past, but one with which she was not familiar so he wouldn't be reminded of it everytime he looked at her, like he would have been with Beth. THAT is what drove their relationship, in my opinion. Quentin wanted to get away from what he had done, and Amanda was his ticket on that train.

However, I think that Quentin and Beth were soul mates, and they had true love. Their relationship is a parallel to Barnabas and Angelique's relationship. Barnabas thought he loved Ang. Q thought he loved Beth. They both left the woman, scorned them countless times, and betrayed them just as much if not more so. The difference is that Beth went away from Quentin, working for his enemy, while Angelique decided to take a more direct route to hurt her lover. They both tried revenge. They both failed. Angelique didn't always fail, but sometimes she did. Barnabas killed Angelique a LOT. And Quentin, albiet inadvertantly, backed Beth off of a cliff.

Beth followed Quentin around for the same reason that Angelique followed Barnabas. Both women TRULY LOVED their man, and they wanted nothing to do with anything else, until they were scorned. Beth and Angelique stood the test of time, trail, and error time and again, waiting for their man to realize that they were meant to be together. Angelique confessed her love for Barnabas eventually, apologizing for all that she had done before she died. Barnabas admitted to Julia that Angelique was his one true love, all this time, and he never realized it. And while some people may refuse to believe that fact, it is true. They said it in the show, so it therefore must be taken as cannon. Beth and Quentin, likewise, eventually realized that they were meant to be together. Quentin broke up with Beth, went back with her, then broke up with her again. He was attempting to make things right, to declare his love for her when he went searching for her to stop her from killing herself. Angelique prevented him from doing what he wanted. He couldn't break his vow to Angelique, because he knew what the consequences would be. And when Quentin got back into his own body eventually, he realized that Beth was the one who had suffered, that Beth was the one who had stood by him through it all, and that Beth was the one he loved.

Did he go off with Amanda? Yes. Why? Because Beth was dead, Quentin felt guilty, and moving away to New York with a woman who knew nothing of his evil deeds and who had no past herself, allowed him to attempt to forget what had happened to him at Collinwood, and to start a new life with Amanda. Quentin was widowed with Beth died, and he remarried, if you choose to see it that way.

Did he love both women? Yes. But he loved Beth more.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 05:47:11 AM »
I would call what you wrote very perceptive.

It's been a long time since I've seen this sequence, but your commentary rings true to me.  No doubt there will be counter-arguments to what you say and I don't remember the details well enough to argue them, but I didn't have the problems with this storyline that many seem to.  A lot of people have singled out Donna McKechnie for criticism, but I haven't agreed.  Her performance may have been somewhat on the surface, but over all I found her likable and effective.  You have highlighted the intelligence and the intent of the writing of the two main characters in this sequence.  Beyond that, I found the storyline fascinating, and the depiction of death's waiting room and the echoes of the Orpheus myth thought provoking.

-Vlad
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 05:54:38 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your analaysis of Quentin and I agree with what you said about him in regards to his changing for the better, his developing a conscious, and the damned-if-he-does-damned-if-he-doesn't situations he found himself in thanks to Angelique and Petofi.

But Quentin and Amanda's "love" seemed to have sprung from out of nowhere and too soon. How did he know she wasn't just another golddigger? He knew Beth a lot longer than he knew Amanda. [spoiler]And how did Amanda know that Tim wasn't telling the truth about Quentin?[/spoiler] Beth knew all of Quentin's flaws and faults but despite it all she still loved him. Amanda didn't know one iota about Quentin yet she seems to be
head over heals in love with him since almost around the first time she ever met him.

I have nothing against Quentin maturing, in fact it was necessary considering all the troubles and tragedies the whole family was going through (thanks to Petofi and Trask). But to have a complete stranger to be the crowning achievement of his growing up, I just don't buy it. (And I am not just saying this because I'm a Quentin/Beth fan).

As two seperate characters, Quentin and Amanda were fascinating. But thrown together so abruptly as they were their romance just didn't ring true IMO.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 06:47:20 AM »
Wow, such great commentary from everyone.

I do absolutely adore Beth, I must point out. And in no way am I saying Quentin was more in love with Amanda than he was with Beth. It just occured to me that their romance was a bit more realistic when the evolution of Quentin's character is taken into account. On first viewing of this storyline (and really the DVD boxsets are my second linear run through) I loathed Amanda Harris and could not see where the writers got off with this sudden interest the two had in each other. On this second viewing though it hit me that they saw escape in each other, and perhaps their romance wasn't as contrived as I had first thought.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:32:42 AM »
I have to agree, Arashi. Even though I think Quentin and Beth were the better couple in terms of love, when I first watched DS on SciFi years ago, I didn't like Q and A. (lol) But watching them through on the DVDs has given me a better look at what actually put them together, other than the writing. But I STILL think things moved too fast for their own good.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 04:04:15 PM »
When the slut's a twit you must acquit.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:46:29 AM »
OMG!  [laughing4]  I'm LMAO!!

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:03:32 AM »
Good posts by Arashi and Brandon but I am not gonna change my mind about Amanda Harris. In a way I enjoy having contempt for her almost as much as I enjoy despising all the Trasks. Don't ask me to give up something I enjoy lol! ;D

Amanda was nothing but a plastic Barbie doll. She was a snivelling whiner as well. She was not worthy of Quentin. Now if she hadn't been so bad, I might have accepted this relationship if he had not broken Beth's heart and if the writers had given the relationship time to grow. It's the same in 1840 [spoiler]with the sudden love Barnabas decides he feels for Angelique.[/spoiler] If they had given these relationships time to grow I could accept them better. But Quentin meets Amanda and bam they are in love. Quentin who has been for years a womanizer suddenly decides he loves this one. No I don't accept that.

Back to the 1840 thing, Barnabas and Angelique, [spoiler]they rushed this too much. Angelique enters the storyline as the Angelique we all know, deeply obsessed with Barnabas and jealous of anyone he might show interest in, Roxanne and Julia. She causes Roxanne to become a vampire and gets her to victimize Julia. Then without hardly batting an eye, she cures Barnabas and when he goes missing for a week, she and Julia work together to try to find him. What's with the sudden change? There needed to be more time, a more gradual change from the evil Angelique to a kinder, more selfless Angelique. That's the biggest reason I don't accept that sudden turnaround on Barn's part.[/spoiler]

I know the writers didn't have much time, they were in a rush to finish 1840 and get on with the last storyline since the show's days were numbered. But that is why I don't accept either of these sudden love scenarios.

Alondra