Author Topic: *** Big Changes Ahead ***  (Read 22468 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: *** Big Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2007, 04:06:43 PM »
Lookin' really good! 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
I like the new look too, but can't wait for the different "skins" to get uploaded, or whatever, because I like the blood red. Has more of a DS feel, lol.

So far, I haven't really seen much different except for the new look, but I guess I will as the new features are added.

The only thing that I've seen different is that now it takes FOREVER to load a page, when before it didn't. Maybe that's a kink that'll work itself out.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »
Hmmm...

My picture avatar disappeared. [shkdg]

It's always been showing up for me.  [hdscrt]  Are you still not seeing it?

I notice that the spoilers are gone from previous posts....is this temporary or permanent?

The spoilers have always been showing up for me, too (when one passes ones browser cursor over the spoiler box) - BUT the internal code for them is now completely different from what we had been using in SMF 1.0. Perhaps your browser doesn't like it? Passing the cursor over the box to automatically bring up the text has always been the way to read the spoilers and it has worked that way in all browsers except for that ridiculous piece of crap that is IE [Blow_Up_IE] - it made people highlight the text.  ::)

Why exactly did you think spoilers were gone?

And speaking of spoilers, notice that there is now an icon to add the BBC code to posts:

I haven't really seen much different except for the new look

There are already many new features activated. (One of them (the instant preview feature) is even on the page to compose posts/PMs.) You'll definitely come across them in time.  ;)  But to point them all out now would ruin the fun of people finding them on their own.  :D

The only thing that I've seen different is that now it takes FOREVER to load a page, when before it didn't. Maybe that's a kink that'll work itself out.

Pages have been creating for me in the same amount of time as always. In fact, that was something that I specifically checked repeatedly for the first two hours after the upgrade was completed. However, from time to time, particularly in the mornings, our host's MySQL server can respond slowly. The best way to check whether or not it's our host or ones own Internet connection that's slowing things down is to scroll to the bottom of the page and check the "Page created in" info. Most pages create in under 1 second. But the more graphics/database queries intensive ones can take around 5 or so seconds. If the "Page created in" stat says something like that, but the page is taking forever to display, then the problem is most probably some sort of bottleneck along the path of someone's own Internet connection.  :(

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
When do we get to change the sceams, the darker colors that we are used to are not there. Some of the font and colors of print do show up as nicely. Yellows and light greens are hard to read. I like the format, the place of things.

Thanks for all your hard work, I know how challanging it can be. 
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2007, 05:47:10 PM »
When do we get to change the sceams, the darker colors that we are used to are not there.

As I said, the bloodred and Variations on Blue themes will return once I've had a chance to upgrade them to SMF 1.1.2.

I prefer the darker colors for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is they seem more suited to DS.  ;)  (And the new Lightning theme will be quite dark - possibly the darkest theme we've ever used on the forum.) But this is SMF's default theme and we'll be using it until the other themes are ready.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »
There are already many new features activated.

One feature that I was really looking forward to has to do with something appearing inside quotes that didn't before the upgrade.  :D

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2007, 07:07:37 PM »
Nice job!! :D

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2007, 07:35:01 PM »
Looking good to me.  :)

Thanks for your continued hard work for us, MB.

Bette

Life works if you let it

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2007, 08:11:07 PM »

My picture avatar disappeared. [shkdg]

It's always been showing up for me.  [hdscrt]  Are you still not seeing it?

I left here, cleared the cache, then came back...  and now my picture is back! [cheer]  So everything's great again! [cheesyg]

By the way, I also prefer the "blood red" color scheme.  I'll be glad when it's back! [bigok]

----- Sally -----

[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2007, 08:15:27 PM »
Congratulations!

I hate to be the Cracked Crab (but you know I secretly revel in the role) but I will have to force myself to chivvy out the intricately concealed menus for changing the colors back to the crimson and black.  Right now I feel as if I really have been exiled to the Lilac Ward at Wyndcliffe.    Either that or a strange spacewarp on the Starfleet Academy fansite.

I also need to find the "Destroy All Smilies Now!" command.  You did promise that I would be able to do that...

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2007, 08:26:33 PM »
I know how complicated web stuff can get so - tipping my hat to you all. Everything works for this Mac user so far (in Firefox, Netscape, and Safari... no, I didn't try it in IE - I obliterated that infuriating browser from my machine a looooong while ago)
::hug::

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2007, 09:03:10 PM »
Wow! Looking totally slick! Nice work!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2007, 09:52:11 PM »
I'm having trouble with the Preview function in "Discuss - Ep #0287'.  I got "Fetching preview..." forever.  I came to this topic, and did a Preview and got it immediately.  Went back to Re: Discuss - Ep #0287 and tried it again, and once again got 'Fetching preview..." forever.  And back in this topic, Preview again works just fine.

I hate giving you one more thing to worry about.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2007, 10:09:11 PM »
I just remembered that I had a spoiler warning in the post I was trying to make in "Discuss - Ep #0287", so that was probably the source of the problem.  I haven't time to try it spoilerless now.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »
I just remembered that I had a spoiler warning in the post I was trying to make in "Discuss - Ep #0287", so that was probably the source of the problem.

The spoiler is the cause, though it's not just that topic or board.  When posting as a non-admin, I'm receiving this error: "Sorry - you don't have the proper permissions to post spoilers," though I got stuck a couple of times too in Fetching Preview using different browsers.  And MB, spoilers aren't seen by regular members either.