Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1119  (Read 661 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1119
« on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:04 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1119
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
[spoiler]I'm uncomfortable with the big villain being a witch who was sentenced at the Salem witch trials.   It legitimizes the trials.[/spoiler]

Edith seems improbable.   Someone as selfish as she seems to be... would she have married Gabriel? ... and it must have been after the accident, which I think happened when he was a kid.   If she married him for the money, then she's been awfully patient all these years, especially since Quentin was obviously going to get it.   But then Quentin was on Gabriel's side, sort of, and would have been generous.   

I should remember that (1) marriage was considered permanent no matter how badly it turned out, and (2) people can change a lot over the years, embedded in nasty life situations.   Edith may have started out kinder, and she certainly seems to be a better person in 1897.   Well at least more clever.

Edith seems shoehorned in to maintain continuity, so Grandmamama is there in 1897.  Considering what happens later, they almost needn't have bothered...

For Gabriel, the waiting is indeed the hardest part.   At the end, when Sam walks in, nice shocked weasel look on Gabriel's face...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »
I am surprised the writers remembered about Edith after all this time, especially since she was in only a handful of episodes in 1897. 

They should have had Edith & her husband & sons away in Europe and Terry Crawford play a different character, avoiding the continuity mess.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »
Enter Edith, yet another of the unpleasant people at 1840 Collinwood.  Never having been a big fan of Beth, it should make me happy to see Terry Crawford making Edith so markedly unlike Beth, but who can like 1840 Edith?  As for why Edith married Gabriel, maybe at the time just the thought of living in a house like Collinwood was enough for her, but over the years she started to see the drawbacks.

And exit Ben, one of the few nice people at 1840 Collinwood.  I sure feel sorry for Barnabas and Julia, having to deal with this lot.

My first thought when Gerard married Samantha was that he was taking a bit of a chance.  After all, it's not certain that she'll get Collinwood when Daniel goes.  But nobody's forcing Gerard to stick around, and I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few wives already in various ports around the world.