Author Topic: New Quoting Definitions/Style  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
New Quoting Definitions/Style
« on: March 20, 2005, 02:08:09 AM »
In an effort to make nested quotes more readable, I've changed the CSS for quotes so that they'll now display like this:

a post

a reply

another reply

and another

If you're seeing this:

then your browser supports the new CSS definitions. However, if you're seeing this:

well, your browser is a piece of crap.  :(  And you should think seriously about changing to a better one.

This new style, however, is not an excuse to use nested quotes just for the fun of it. Nested quotes should be avoided at all costs in posts unless they're absolutely needed to clarify a reply. But if you're like me, you might use nested quotes in PMs just in case the other person or persons you're speaking to might have already deleted their copies of the PMs and you want your reply to be read completely in context, or if you're replying to a previous reply made by someone else and you also want to include the text which they quoted from the original message.  ;)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: New Quoting Definitions/Style
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 03:13:23 AM »
well, your browser is a piece of crap.  :(  And you should think seriously about changing to a better one.

Alrighty then, I'll switch back from Firefox to IE since it displays correctly in IE but not in Firefox.  >:D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 04:18:09 AM »
I don't know about earlier versions, but the CSS definitely works in Firefox 1.0. In fact, the release candidate of Firefox 1.0.2 for Windows just came out on Thursday, and it supports even more CSS features. The official version is expected next week.  :)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 05:35:23 AM »
I don't know about earlier versions, but the CSS definitely works in Firefox 1.0. In fact, the release candidate of Firefox 1.0.2 for Windows just came out on Thursday, and it supports even more CSS features. The official version is expected next week.  :)

My mistake. I needed to clear the cache to view your changes in Firefox. DUH!  ::)

Tune in next week when I discover the wonders of rebooting the machine.  :P

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 05:44:02 AM »
I needed to clear the cache to view your changes in Firefox.

Definitely an honest mistake. I didn't even think of suggesting clearing your cache because the changes worked right away in Netscape. But I should remember other browsers cache files differently.  [7385]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 12:18:17 AM »
You'll now notice that the headers for the quote boxes have a new, more blended look. Also, the word "quote" is no longer displaying on the right of the header because it was causing problems in the search feature.

(The header for the code feature has also changed to make it appear more compatible with quote.)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:47:12 AM »
You'll now notice that the headers for the quote boxes have a new, more blended look. Also, the word "quote" is no longer displaying on the right of the header because it was causing problems in the search feature.

(The header for the code feature has also changed to make it appear more compatible with quote.)

Sorry MB...don't follow this (gee...what a suprise!!)

Patti
What a Woman!