Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0169  (Read 831 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0169
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0169
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
This episode, as far as I could tell, consisted mostly of delaying tactics so that the Friday cliffhanger could be about the séance.  I have no objection to that, but surely they could have made it a little less obvious.

We got Carolyn throwing a tantrum when Frank Garner told her she shouldn't go see her mother.  And the reason she shouldn't go?  Because her mother was in such bad shape.  The logic doesn't work for me.  But it was good for a few minutes of drama.  Which reminds me, at the beginning of the episode Carolyn was saying she had never been so scared in her life - whereupon I thought, "You ain't seen nothing yet," and "Have we heard Nancy Barrett screaming yet in the series?"

Roger pressed Frank Garner to hurry the divorce through, which surprised me given his attitude the last time we saw Laura.  Frank asked what the hurry was, and I fully expected Roger to say, "Well, you see, there's this girl."

Guthrie worries about unleashing forces beyond their control at the séance.  Smart man.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
I thought Carolyn's reactions didn't seem like a tantrum, but desperation, and it was all very believable, real, and affecting.

Guthrie admits he's never had proof of having contacted a ghost, and he even seems a bit hesitant about using the word "evidence".  He then sees his legitimacy level is plummetting, and immediately falls back on the old ploy of "You must trust me!", said in the authoritative voice... and Carolyn goes for it!

Now the study is in the direction of the camera, from the foyer, again.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
The writers mess with our heads a bit by having a shadowy figure open the upstairs hallway door while Carolyn and Dr. Guthrie talk. But it's only Vicki, who joins them in the drawing room.

Frank Garner calls Roger Roger, but Roger addresses him as Garner (without the "Mister"). I'll bet Frank doesn't call Elizabeth Liz! And we get our first look at what is referred to as Roger's study, although I'm also willing to bet he studies brandy there more than anything else. It would have been nice for Elizabeth to have a study of her own, but as the series went on, I did get very fond of that little writing desk in the drawing room.

We get a little more info on Carolyn's legal status as Frank tells Roger, "Because Carolyn is still a minor [we’ve already established she’s about 18], she is a ward of the trustees of the business. She can’t make unilateral decisions, but she is in effect the mistress of the house." Roger is disappointed, and even more so when Frank says he trusts Dr. Guthrie.

Carolyn is so desperate to see her mother that she tells Frank to book her a plane ticket to Boston. That's not really in his job description. But then again, with Elizabeth never leaving the grounds for the past 18 years, I guess the family doesn't have much use for a travel agent. And Carolyn doesn't seem to have gone much farther afield than Bangor. I thought Carolyn's despair and sorrow over her mother's plight were very touching. But because this was a Thursday episode, of course she comes around and tells Dr. Guthrie to go ahead with the séance.

I also liked it that Dr. Guthrie got the last word with something like, "I’m actually frightened of success. We could unleash a force so powerful, we may not be able to control it!"

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Forgot to mention a nice bit by AM: When Carolyn rushes up the stairs in tears, Vicki hesitates a moment, then goes after her.

Watching Project

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »
The Robservations captures have now finally been posted for this ep.  [snow_smiley]

(And this was the last ep that I'd already run my screen capturing software on. However right now I'm in the process of running the next batch of eps through it. But that will take hours to complete because I like to do 12 eps at a time (which is a complete tape of Sci-Fi eps) and the current session will complete with caps from Ep #181 - but it's just about to finish getting caps from  Ep #172. But I will catch up eventually - both here with the Watching Project and on the "Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) - The Return of Laura" board.  [snow_wink])

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Your efforts are appreciated, "Watching Project"!   Thank you!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 07:39:09 AM »
The atmosphere is stormy at Collinwood. Carolyn and Vickie have another chat and Carolyn reveals she thinks of David as a brother even if she's called him a little monster for years. Vicki says she knows. Carolyn later says she will never see her mother alive again. Frank and Vickie are alone and he says there is little hope for Elizabeth who is living but no longer alive.  All these images of death before the seance.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times