Author Topic: Of Bones and Boxes  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Of Bones and Boxes
« on: May 14, 2003, 12:39:50 AM »
David has a broken leg.  For real.  The writers must've had to scramble to write this "infraction" into the storyline.  Ironically, around this same time, give or take a couple of seasons, two other performers in Television Land went through the same thing.  On Family Affair, Buffy (Anissa Jones) broke her leg, and it had to be written into the series.  And then America's favorite redhead, Lucille Ball, did likewise, and that had to be written into Here's Lucy.  It was a veritable plague.

And then Quentin and Julia had to dig up Michael's grave.  It's interesting - there have been a lotta grave openings on DS, and almost always only two people are involved, and they would have a short period of time to not only dig it up, but pull the casket out of the hole.  Has anyone ever tried lifting one of those things?  I've been a pallbearer for several funerals, and with six of us hoisting that thing around, we all hoped that the whole thing wouldn't go crashing to the ground as we strained every muscle.  And yet Quentin got that thing up out of the ground all by himself.  I imagine that his portrait now includes two slipped discs and one really good hernia.

Gerard

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Of Bones and Boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 02:44:08 AM »
 ::) Have you ever counted the number of actors that appear on DS per episode? I have never counted more than 5 or 6. (up to this point) No wonder the "grave-robbers" have to work alone; considering the others on that episode are involved in other parts on the storyline!!
                                                                              Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 07:41:32 AM »
And yet Quentin got that thing up out of the ground all by himself.  I imagine that his portrait now includes two slipped discs and one really good hernia.

And don't forget poor Willie who always managed to dig up somebody's grave at the insistance of Barnabas!
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 08:02:38 AM »
It's interesting - there have been a lotta grave openings on DS, and almost always only two people are involved, and they would have a short period of time to not only dig it up, but pull the casket out of the hole.

Well, it doesn't take that long in Collinsport.  I don't think they bury 'em too deep.  I mean REALLY - what's the point??

Has anyone ever tried lifting one of those things?
.....And yet Quentin got that thing up out of the ground all by himself.

Amazing, isn't it.  That Fitness Made Simple program really does seem to work.

[winkb]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2003, 02:52:56 PM »
And then Quentin and Julia had to dig up Michael's grave.  It's interesting - there have been a lotta grave openings on DS, and almost always only two people are involved, and they would have a short period of time to not only dig it up, but pull the casket out of the hole.  Has anyone ever tried lifting one of those things?  I've been a pallbearer for several funerals, and with six of us hoisting that thing around, we all hoped that the whole thing wouldn't go crashing to the ground as we strained every muscle.  And yet Quentin got that thing up out of the ground all by himself.  I imagine that his portrait now includes two slipped discs and one really good hernia.

I'm still amazed they didn't just wrap Michael's body in a sheet and dump it in a ditch (the way several illustrious Collinses have been interred).

What always boggles my mind is just how immaculate everyone always looks after disinterring the bodies. No sweat. No mud. No clumps of dirt clinging to the shoes. Nope, just like the ladies who decide to take a midnight stroll with no illumination through the dark Maine forests, the grave robbers invariably look like they have stepped out of a bandbox.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2003, 04:21:00 PM »

I'm still amazed they didn't just wrap Michael's body in a sheet and dump it in a ditch (the way several illustrious Collinses have been interred).

What always boggles my mind is just how immaculate everyone always looks after disinterring the bodies. No sweat. No mud. No clumps of dirt clinging to the shoes. Nope, just like the ladies who decide to take a midnight stroll with no illumination through the dark Maine forests, the grave robbers invariably look like they have stepped out of a bandbox.

This could have been staged a little better.  Quentin kept his suit coat on and buttoned the whole time he was digging.  He should have had his coat off and his sleeves rolled up.  The make-up artist could have made him a little dirty and disheveled.  Julia standing there holding his coat.   
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2003, 04:38:54 PM »
Well, it's a good thing he did keep his coat on, Onyx.  After all, it is the dead of winter in Maine.  Fortunately, they've had an unseasonably low amount of snowfall so far.

Gerard (Who's wondering how much more it would've cost to just paint some cornflakes white and have them strewn about.)

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2003, 05:38:24 PM »
And how about Sheriff Paterson?  Forgive me...I don't remember his name.
There's his grave stone and then here comes his hand and then his whole body.  How many inch's of dirt would you say he was buryed in....about a
1/2 an inch?  At least they could have had a wooden box lid on top of him, then he could have come out better that way. [deady]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2003, 06:02:14 PM »
Well, it's a good thing he did keep his coat on, Onyx.  After all, it is the dead of winter in Maine.  Fortunately, they've had an unseasonably low amount of snowfall so far.

Gerard (Who's wondering how much more it would've cost to just paint some cornflakes white and have them strewn about.)

Not only that but have you ever tried digging a hole when the ground is frozen.  They must have used a backhoe.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2003, 06:04:17 PM »
And how about Sheriff Paterson?  Forgive me...I don't remember his name.

No problem, it was Sheriff Davenport.  So if you were on first name terms with him, would you have called him Sheriff Sheriff?

There's his grave stone and then here comes his hand and then his whole body.  How many inch's of dirt would you say he was buryed in....about a 1/2 an inch?  At least they could have had a wooden box lid on top of him, then he could have come out better that way. [deady]

Wow, I planted a small tree yesterday and am sure I dug a deeper hole for it.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2003, 06:15:39 PM »
You're getting it all wrong.  The man was Egyptian on his mother's side and his name was SHARIF....they just didn't know how to spell it!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2003, 07:27:22 PM »
Gerard, that was too funny!!!

Digging up a grave in the middle of the night isn't exactly a common occurance (on ds it is though) so why doesn't any one ever get caught??   And funny thing no one ever notices that a relatives grave has just been dug up?

Deb

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 09:46:21 PM »
Fortunately, they've had an unseasonably low amount of snowfall so far.

Hmmm - perhaps those breezes from the sea that the opening monologues frequently refer to kept all the heavy snow clouds inland. [wink2] But at any rate, this was a scene we were NEVER going to see on DS:

Apparently much too much! [lghy]

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2003, 08:32:47 AM »

So true!  The other day I was pulling some weeds from my garden and the sweat was pouring off my head so much I couldn't see straight.  And it's not even that hot here yet!!   And I love how the woods are always so well lit at night.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2003, 11:59:59 AM »
(Who's wondering how much more it would've cost to just paint some cornflakes white and have them strewn about.)
I thought I had read once that TV/Movie sets used Ivory snow or potato flakes to try to make winter scenes look real.  Then again, you'd have to clean up the mess to make it look like summer again in the next scene.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe