Author Topic: OT>Video Question  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT>Video Question
« on: May 14, 2004, 03:12:55 PM »
First I was going to post this Wednesday, but more has come up.

The awful, awful, awful 'video on computer' of the American...(I'll say no more).....

Then, the next day, a lead in on my local news about some brawling at a High School, again on internet video.

Then, yesterday, my daughter gets a call; it's a friend telling her the new Evanescence (a rock group)'s video is out. She asks if she can go watch it, and I 'assume' MTV, but no, again, on 'puter. And not on MTV or Sony web sites (or whoever is the label for Evanescence).

Okay...so, the question is....how/where/how do these videos get uploaded/uplinked???

If I had a website, I realize (don't have a clue how) I could upload for viewing, but....these persons in Iraq, plus, the brawling teens, and the rock video.....

How are they uploaded? Where are they coming from?

Also, pretend at least one of them is I don't know, a Google site; doesn't Google have the right and/or obligation to say, "No, we're not showing teen brawling on our site"?

Yet alone the awful, awful above mention :'(

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:OT>Video Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:34:51 PM »
If I had a website, I realize (don't have a clue how) I could upload for viewing,

Patti, you don't need a website to view any of those videos.  Download them to a temporary file on your computer, or your desktop, in a version according to which player you want to use and your connection speed, then just open them there.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 04:19:17 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant if I had my own website, I could post videos for others to view.

But, about all the above, is it just single persons uploading this stuff to their sites??? Or are there 'domains' that ??get them??

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 04:46:30 PM »
Oh, sorry.  You'd download an FTP client off the internet and install it on your computer.

But, about all the above, is it just single persons uploading this stuff to their sites??? Or are there 'domains' that ??get them??

Most websites have an About link and a Contact link if you want info about the webmanager(s) or to ask where a particular site gets its videos.

Also, pretend at least one of them is I don't know, a Google site; doesn't Google have the right and/or obligation to say, "No, we're not showing teen brawling on our site"?

A web host will list its limitations and requirements in its User Agreement, which often contains the words illegal, defamatory, obscene, harassing, abusive and threatening.

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 08:27:24 AM »

Then, yesterday, my daughter gets a call; it's a friend telling her the new Evanescence (a rock group)'s video is out. She asks if she can go watch it, and I 'assume' MTV, but no, again, on 'puter. And not on MTV or Sony web sites (or whoever is the label for Evanescence).

Wind-up Records.

Those videos are legal and they allow download by the fans. 

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:46:04 PM »
But, how do the fans 'get' them?
And, where do the fans load them up to; their own sites?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 07:59:32 AM »
There is a click near the top of their site that says "videos."  Then the video plays it the little window there.