Author Topic: OT Anti-Virus  (Read 743 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT Anti-Virus
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:15:50 AM »
I've been using Vipre for a few years and have been satisfied with it. I've recently been getting a lot of ads for Bitdefender and looked it up and it seems to have excellent reviews. I've seen various prices, in one it's the same as Vipre and in another a bit less. There are also lots of discounts for it.

Does anyone know anything about it and have any recommendations? I also noticed a free version. Would that be as good as the paid version?

I also found a site that provided discount coupons to use with it. Does anyone know if sites like that are reliable?
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT Anti-Virus
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
Whatever you do, don't get Avast.  I had it for awhile and it worked great, but then when it was time to renew my subscription it really messed up my computer - I couldn't even connect on-line - it blocked my modem.  It cost me over $300 to rectify the situation.

Gerard

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT Anti-Virus
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »
Wow!!  That's really a shame.  At wpuniverse.com (forum for WordPerfect) 3 different people recommended a combination of MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and Malwarebytes.  MSE is free and Malwarebytes has a free version, but they recommended the paid, which is only $25.  It has a 14 day free trial.  I've tried it, but then someone posted that MSE is really for experts who can determine which links are safe, so I'm now leery of that.

I have a few more days on the 14 day trial and a few days beyond that before my Vipre subscription is up, so I have to decide whether to renew Vipre or try something else.  With all of these ads for Bitdefender and when I looked it up, it seems to have great reviews, I've been tempted to try that.
Josette