Author Topic: IMDb Correction / Craig Slocum  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
IMDb Correction / Craig Slocum
« on: October 30, 2002, 02:55:30 AM »

Craig Slocum's year of birth has been corrected in the IMDb. It was previously listed as 1940 which was wrong, 1934 is the correct year.

http://us.imdb.com
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: IMDb Correction / Craig Slocum
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 11:51:37 AM »
Thanks Cheryl for the info.  It makes you wonder how IMDB could make such a mistake like this concerning a person's year of birth.  I guess anything's possible and I wonder how many more birthdates are actually mistaken.
"Calamity Jane"

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 06:16:24 PM »
Thanks Cheryl for the info.  It makes you wonder how IMDB could make such a mistake like this concerning a person's year of birth.  I guess anything's possible and I wonder how many more birthdates are actually mistaken.

Oh it's not just birthdates.  They had (maybe they still do) Jonathan Frid credited as being in this 1990s movie he was never in.

Nancy

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 10:57:41 PM »
I wonder how many more birthdates are actually mistaken.

I wonder too, but I'm glad the editors corrected his. Craig Slocum was born in 1934. My little girl's father was born in 1933. I was born in 1964, totally wrong time. I should have been born 30 years earlier!  
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 11:50:44 PM »
Object lesson in why you shouldn't believe everything you see on the Internet or in print.

From their FAQ: "Though we do some active gathering of information, the bulk of our information is submitted by people in the industry and visitors like you. In fact, about 70% of our staff is dedicated to processing the massive amounts of information we receive and add to the database every week."

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 12:15:17 AM »
Object lesson in why you shouldn't believe everything you see on the Internet or in print.

From their FAQ: "Though we do some active gathering of information, the bulk of our information is submitted by people in the industry and visitors like you. In fact, about 70% of our staff is dedicated to processing the massive amounts of information we receive and add to the database every week."

Luciaphil

You always use more than one source for information. I would seek printed sources first and  the Internet as the last resort for reference. That is a conventional librarian's point of view.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2002, 04:27:24 AM »
I think the reason so many actors' info is wrong is because they frequently lie about their age. It can be a good idea career wise, but it does wreak havok with accuracy.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2002, 04:51:45 AM »

I would never have thought Craig Slocum was that old, he sure did not look it.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 11:27:22 AM »

I would never have thought Craig Slocum was that old, he sure did not look it.

I agree Cheryl.

It seems like most of the actors/actesses on DS never seem to age at all. ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2002, 03:10:34 PM »
I wonder how many more birthdates are actually mistaken.

One day a couple of years back when I first discovered IMdB (actually, I think someone here referred to it in a post - more great info received on this board!) I was playing around there entering names to see what they had on my favorite actors.  I entered KLS and, while most everything else seemed right, they had some really bizarre birthdate for her...I can't remember the exact year but I think it would have made her in her 70's!  I emailed them about it a couple of times (and I'm sure I wasn't the only one) and they eventually got the message and corrected it.  

I love hunting and gathering all the little web odds and ends and have especially enjoyed IMdB. But I agree with VAM - the net isn't my first resort for solid facts.  IMHO you can find something to support just about any argument or idea (from really conservative to way, way off the wall) and you can't ever be totally sure of your sources.  Just try researching nutrition sometime!  You wouldn't believe how many simple "cures" are out there that the AMA "doesn't want us to know about".  Maybe some of its true, maybe not - but I really think a lot of it is potentially dangerous.  Talk about a web of deceit.  
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2002, 03:42:24 PM »

I love hunting and gathering all the little web odds and ends and have especially enjoyed IMdB. But I agree with VAM - the net isn't my first resort for solid facts.  IMHO you can find something to support just about any argument or idea (from really conservative to way, way off the wall) and you can't ever be totally sure of your sources.  Just try researching nutrition sometime!  You wouldn't believe how many simple "cures" are out there that the AMA "doesn't want us to know about".  Maybe some of its true, maybe not - but I really think a lot of it is potentially dangerous.  Talk about a web of deceit.  

Actually, I find the very same thing with printed material.  Long before the internet was available for common use, I did lots of research in libraries, in collections etc. and I found what later turned out to be wrong information.   I think what's important about doing research on the internet is to have some kind of consensus or understanding about what is normally a reliable source.  It's not really surprising the IMDB would have mistakes since they are collecting material for thousands and thousands of performers.  The odds aren't there that everything they gather will be correct.  I've read books on Dark Shadows that were full of errors.  I mean even the LA obituary on Dennis Patrick had a mistake in it.  

Also, print media offers scams and deliberate misinformation just as the internet does.  Just as Luciaphil said, you can't believe everything you read and that's true for either print or the internet.  Consumer beware, and all that.

Nancy  

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2002, 07:44:03 PM »
All good points everyone Thanks have to say i don't blame actors for lying about ages i've seen Madonna's
age listed anywhere from 40 t0 47 and Frank Gifford stayed 66 for about 5 years an actor on OLTL came out and said she took five years off her age to get the part of Tina Lord.who knows! guess it doesn't really matter but my mother always said they reason some actors suddenly look like they have aged overnight is because  they have told Tall tales about their true ages  
the only ones we really know their true ages are actor's children ie Jamie Lee Curtis lucky them!

jennifer
love the movie Halloween [skull]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2002, 08:31:34 PM »

I love hunting and gathering all the little web odds and ends and have especially enjoyed IMdB. But I agree with VAM - the net isn't my first resort for solid facts.  

Thanks CB for the vote of confidence.  I always like to have my research backed up by several sources. Granted the Internet provides quick results especially if you have excellent search strategy techniques. However, the information is not always valid. So, I go the extra yard.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!