Author Topic: OT, Tanis  (Read 992 times)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
OT, Tanis
« on: October 23, 2002, 01:37:30 AM »
Just want to check in with you.  I have learned I have rheumatoid arthritis.  I have been suffering major pain for the past six weeks.  I have seen several doctors and a rheumatologist told me yesterday I have rheumatoid arthritis.

I guess it doesn't choose ages, it can hit anyone at any time in their life.  Woman more commonly.  I am a woman and I am sixty two years old.  I thought I just had the aches and pains of old age, it began last spring and just kept getting worse.

Do any of you have any experience with this or have relatives who are dealing with this.  Interested in knowing what options they have chosen.  I have several to look at.  Currently on prednisione.  Had a shot directly in my left knee yesterday.  Feel better today.  My feet, hands, knees, and shoulders are involved.

Just wanted to share and see if you have anything to share back.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Nancy

Re: OT, Tanis
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 01:51:37 AM »
Do any of you have any experience with this or have relatives who are dealing with this.  Interested in knowing what options they have chosen.  I have several to look at.  Currently on prednisione.  Had a shot directly in my left knee yesterday.  Feel better today.  My feet, hands, knees, and shoulders are involved.

Tanis

Tanis,

I have three relatives with RA and two of them had great success with medication.  There are many new meds for this problem and each of them went through a few before finding one that did the trick.  The effect of medication can differ from one person to the next.  The third relative didn't find as good a medication for the pain but she is able to walk and function fairly well, and the pain is not as bad as it used to be.  She is still trying various treatments but since she is already on medication for other illnesses, her experimentation with different drugs has been more limited.

Hope this helps.

nancy

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 02:42:07 AM »
Dear Tanis hope that you are feeling a little better
i know how arthritis can be.  Sometimes i get
in my right knee and that hurts.   I will pray that
God will heal you fast.   Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Online Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 06:46:26 AM »
So sorry to hear of this, Tanis.  I hope the medication helps and that you'll be feeling better soon.

Josette

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 08:06:46 AM »
Just want to check in with you.  I have learned I have rheumatoid arthritis....

Currently on prednisione.  Had a shot directly in my left knee yesterday.  Feel better today.  My feet, hands, knees, and shoulders are involved.

Tanis

it was so right of you to check in with your doctor on this tanis.  it's not normal to have old age pain unless a disease is present or you've injured yourself.  pain is a response of the body when something is amuck.  this is how you know when something is wrong, you have pain.

most of my family had osteo not r.a., a much worse state of affairs.  as for the prednisone (a steroidal drug), your doctor may be using this as a temporary measure (because so many joints are involved) to get your r.a. under control.  however, it does have it's share of side effects, namely bloating and weight gain when high doses of the drug are used.

i would suggest you join the arthritis foundation.  they have support groups, hot water exercise classes called "twinges in the hinges," and patient information booklets as well as possibly some books and/or exercise tapes.  you can also get a monthly magazine with an annual drug issue.  (ask your doctor before you start exercising.)

as for meds generally, i find i tolerate vioxx and bextra very well.  these are some of the newer drugs out there that are in the class of NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).  also, you don't have to remember to take a bunch of pills as they are only once or twice daily.  there is also the tried and true motrin at higher dose then over the counter but i find i get stomach upset and then have to take another drug on top of the motrin just to tolerate it.

if you decide to try vitamins or supplements, let your doctor know since some of these can inter-react with medication you might be taking.  some have also tried acupuncture.  do your homework and make sure there is scientific research (double blind studies) done on the particular treatment to be sure you don't waste money.

how do i know about all this stuff you may be asking yourself at the ripe age of 41?  well, i've had fibromyalgia since 1993 and was recently diagnosed with a mild case of lupus.  (thankfully, no predinsone for me.)  also, have had a chronic hip bursitis problem since 1998.  the injections can be a bit painful and it's best to plan a quite day on the day you get them so you can rest and not make it worse.

hope this all helps.  if you ever want to chat, my messenger services are on my member profile.  sometimes, a friend who listens is the best medicine in the world.

be well.

p.s.  find a doctor that listens to you.  there is nothing worse then not being listened to and being told that only one thing is your problem when it isn't.  all diseases that you have should be fully treated and not ignored or it will make your arthritis worse.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2002, 12:34:49 PM »
Hi Tanis,  sorry to hear about this.  
I don't know much about RA, but it sounds like you got plenty of good advice here.  Take care of yourself and I hope that you'll be feeling well again soon! :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2002, 03:54:41 PM »
Hi Tanis,

Sorry to read about your diagnosis. Let me check with my close friend Mary who has been fighting this for several years now. She's been on a variety of drugs depending upon how well she tolerates it. I know she's been on Vioxx, Celebrex, Prednisone and methotrexate.
She's on a new drug that begins with an "A". I think it is Abreva but I'm not sure. Physical therapy like exercising in a heated pool may help. Get yourself a board certified doctor in RA and contact your local RA group.  There is a magazine out for arthritis sufferers, too.  Hope this helps.

Carol
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2002, 03:48:12 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.  I am going to a certified rheumatologist, and also my regular doctor is helping with the medication.  They are going to try metheltrexate (sp),  in a few weeks, I am on a low dosage of prednisone now.  The reason we are waiting is because I was approved for disability to day and when the medicade kicks in we will start the medication, just a couple of weeks or so.

I am old enough for social secuity but I never worked full time outside the home, so I don't have enough to draw on myself, my ex is five years younger and I can draw on him in five years.  I have never remarried, been divorced 21 years, was married 19.  I live with my unmarried son.

We had another blow today, my son was laid off from his job.  Economy not any better in South Dakota than anywhere else.  Doesn't cost a lot to live here though.  He has a part time job lined up already and had wonderful severance pay to get us through for quite a while.  We have been looking for this for a couple of months but hoped it wouldn't happen.  He is a welder.

We just have to keep praying things will work out.

Thank you for your help, you are all so nice.

Love Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2002, 04:16:16 AM »
Tanis, I am hoping for things to get better for you. Take things one day at a time and you will get through this bad patch. [sun]
MM

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 04:37:32 PM »
Being a nurse, I know you can get Methotrexate free of charge through your doctor. They can contact the pharmaceutical company. If I remember correctly, you have to fill out paperwork regarding financial ability to pay for this drug. Once the drug company approves it, the MTX is sent to your doctor's office where they give you one month supply each time you come for an office visit. Usually bloodwork has to be done to monitor liver function. Hope this helps.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe