Author Topic: 1840 Questions!  (Read 7415 times)

Para L. Time

1840 Questions!
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:48:57 PM »
Greetings All!

I have currently written an outline for a story having to do with the repercussions of the 1840 storyline. However, before I start writing the "meat" of the story, I need some facts. I was hoping someone(s) could answer a few questions, such as:

Rose Cottage. What does it have to do with Collinwood, is it still in existence when Barnabas and Julia return to 1971, and where is it?

The Stairway in Time. How does it work? Who created it? Do you walk upstairs from the past or downstairs? Or is it a passageway? Do you think about where you want to go, or does the Stairway take you where IT wants? Where is it inside Collinwood? And lastly, is it destroyed by someone in 1840?

Gerard and Daphne. Is Gerard dead or alive when Barnabas and Julia leave 1840? Who is he married to? Does Daphne end up with Quentin I?

Professor Stokes. Does he know Collinwood has "gone back to normal" when he goes back to 1840? Or is he surprised that Collinwood is no longer destroyed in 1971? Does Stokes change anything, or is he just there to bring back Julia and Barnabas?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have only gotten halfway through 1897 so far, and I had an idea for a new story after reading about how Barnabas's existance in the 1960's is actually negated by events in 1840. I just needed these facts answered so that my story makes more sense.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 Questions!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 11:42:05 PM »
Hi Para,

generally, any effort to make the "facts" of the Dark Shadows narrative fit an internally consistent structure is doomed to failure.  There was really no effort made to establish continuity as the story evolved (or unraveled!), mainly because Dan Curtis was the de facto "head writer" on the show and would change the direction of the plot on a whim (and, if the screenplay writers protested, he'd ask them "Well, are you writing the show or aren't you?  I can get other people to write this show if you're not interested!).  There was also the problem that they were writing it all very much on the fly and they usually didn't have time to go back and check through the voluminous scripts of bygone years (though Sam Hall did keep a set at home).

To answer your questions:

[spoiler]1.  Rose Cottage was identified as "the old Magruder property" in 1970.  I see no reason why it would not still exist in 1971 since Gerard's ghost never haunted the grounds in '70 because of the change of history, so he would never have used magic to burn it as we saw in the Summer of 1970 storyline.  However, bear in mind that sometimes even when the characters went back to change history, some of the events that SHOULD have been changed still happened.  Thus, when they came back to 1969, Liz and Amy and others still had memories of Quentin's ghost haunting the grounds, even though he never died so the haunting should never have happened.

2.  The Stairway in Time was created by the 1840s Quentin Collins (not the same as the 1897/1960s Quentin.  Check out an online document called The Dark Shadows FAQ for further lore about it.  It basically follows the whim of the writers!

3.  Gerard dies at the end of 1840.

4.  Professor Stokes finds out that Collinwood was saved as a result of his, Barnabas, and Julia's actions in 1840, when he returns to 1971 with them.

Overall, the 1840 storyline has more conflicts with pre-existing continuity than any other story--mainly because it came at the end of the show so there was more story around for it to contradict.  I'd say you should feel free to write any story you choose to devise about that plotline.  Nobody could possibly make more of a mess of it than the writers already managed to do on their own! [/spoiler]

Best wishes,

Gothick 

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:07:11 AM »
Oh, and Barnabas has only ever been married once--to Angelique.  Of course, I'm assuming their vows were traditional enough to include "till death we do part" which makes it a little tricky.  Because they both died, and yet did not really part.  Of course later they lived together as man and wife, so whether they were common law spouses is another question altogether.

In PT, of course, Barnabas married Josette.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:18:23 AM »
I say bring in Thirdspace from Babylon Five, say people live in it, and come up with a whole new parallel history for DS in it.

I'm not a typical audience, but I'd really be interested in fanfic for cleverly tying and tidying up those loose ends.   We're not in the kind of rush the writers were, and we're not getting paid in the first place, and Dan can't fire us.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:36:10 AM »
I enjoyed 1840 but I'd be lying if I said it didn't have more continuity problems than any other story of the show. It left me with a lot of "how can that be?" moments....the biggest "WHAT?!!!" for me comes at the end of the storyline. Won't spoil it for anyone, but it truly had me dazed and confused for days.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:19:07 AM »
Look forward to decades for dazed confusion!  You'll never make sense out of that infernal convoluted mess!

[candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »
What I couldn't figure out was that during the 1970 haunting, they made such a big thing about a ship called the Raging Witch, or Sea Witch, or Witchie Queen, or something-or-other, but back in 1840, phhhhtttt.  Nothing.  So what was that s'pose to be all about?

Gerard

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 02:20:23 PM »
Gerard... even you forgot??!!

Hmmm, yes... well.... I think that was the ship whose crew Gerard made into zombies so that he could attack Collinwood, but that was 1970.    When they went to 1840, the ship may have been mentioned early on, but I don't remember.    In 1840 I only remember Gerard as having served with Quentin #1 on whatever ship that was, where Q and his son were washed overboard.  I don't think that was it.    If Gerard served with the dead sailors, I don't think it was explained.    I remember something about a ship crashing near Collinwood, and the sailors being buried there.   Those were the future zombies.  So maybe Gerard had no connection to it.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:45:59 PM »
Two words:  1840 Concordance!  ;)  They are a MUST for any fan fic writer.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »
What I couldn't figure out was that during the 1970 haunting, they made such a big thing about a ship called the Raging Witch, or Sea Witch, or Witchie Queen, or something-or-other

It was the Java Queen.   [hall2_wink]
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »
Ye Gods, I wish that ship had been called the Witchie Queen.

I'm just imagine Grayson trying to say "Barnabas!  Barnabas! It's the... the Witchie Queen!" with a straight face, and totally losing it.  Priceless.

There is a whole narrative set up in the Summer of 1970 sequence that gets trashed once they actually arrive in 1840.  Of course, only one month away from 1795, they had set up a very elaborate narrative for Barnabas, Jeremiah and Josette in the 1830s that never, ever saw the light of day, so it would be unfair to cast particular aspersions on the writers in 1970--the ones in 1967 wandered just as far afield in their embroideries.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:16:14 PM »
How about the Raging Queen??!

[female_skull] [female_skull] [female_skull] [female_skull] [female_skull] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]

Para L. Time

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 04:36:52 PM »
Thanks Gothic! My questions were to confirm some things that I kind of knew but wasn't 100% sure about. Luckily, my story is about the effects of 1840, and not about the year itself! Just one more itsy bitsy question to anyone out there: Did Professor Stokes ever find out about Barnabas's vampirism?

As for the Java Queen, dear God! It sounds like someone who works at Starbucks! It makes me think about alot of caffeinated man-loving going-on on that ship! They could have called it the Cruising Queen, and I would have been no less able to keep a straight face!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 04:42:51 PM »
Did Professor Stokes ever find out about Barnabas's vampirism?

Nope, he never did.
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 10:11:38 PM »
Ye Gods, I wish that ship had been called the Witchie Queen.

I'm just imagine Grayson trying to say "Barnabas!  Barnabas! It's the... the Witchie Queen!" with a straight face, and totally losing it.  Priceless.G.

Oh my sweet Goddess.....I'm HOWLING over here, Steve......[lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas