Author Topic: "Return to Collinwood"  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"Return to Collinwood"
« on: September 15, 2002, 12:33:22 AM »
... with the new shift in storyline.

That's how I feel now that the Adam storyline seems to be over (and I celebrate the departure of Nicholas Blair as well!).  Not too much worthwhile emerged from the Adam "experiment," IMO, although there were some good moments, of course.  We came to know Professor Stokes better; there were some frightening moments with Maggie's memory returning and her and Joe's realization that they were both vampire victims.

I'd actually like to pretend the whole Adam business never happened.  Although, I think the idea of Barnabas having a perpetual "double"/variation on the doppleganger idea is interesting, I still didn't cotton to this storyline.  Did the PTB really think viewers wanted to watch Adam pout endlessly for week after week?  Talk about someone having a chip on their shoulder!

With the haunting of Quentin and the children exploring the closed off rooms, I've been feeling once again that I'd love to live at Collinwood.  I realized I haven't felt that way since the pre-Adam days.

I also prefer the entire werewolf concept, at least as it was executed on DS, to the Frankenstein monster theme (this despite my appreciation for the novel "Frankenstein.").

Random thoughts ...

That skeleton was pretty creepy looking -- it wasn't the "bleached white" type you find in biology classrooms.  This one looked like it might have some mumified flesh still attached.  Shades of "Psycho" when that chair turned around!  No wonder they decided to bury it!

Funny no one else ever noticed the false wall in the storage room or wondered what room was behind the windows to Quentin's room when looking from outside.

Which brings me to ...

SPOILER

Whomever that skeleton belonged to ... assuming it was someone who was walled up in that room ... couldn't they have gotten out a window?  That wall didn't seem too sturdy either!

Slight discrepancy in Amy and David's story ... everyone seems to have forgotten the storm when Amy and David were supposedly outside seeing the sunrise ...

Wasn't Vicki's wedding anticlimactic ... after all the false starts?  Seems her honeymoon may have been rather "anticlimactic" too ;)

The intertwining of the werewolf story with the ghost of Quentin will prove one of the best stories DS did ... I envy any newbies who might be seeing this for the first time ...

I'm excited, too, because, in two weeks, I'll have about six weeks of episodes (well into November) that I've never seen ... the leadup to 1897 ...
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: "Return to Collinwood"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2002, 06:46:12 AM »
Great thoughts Vlad and Happy Watching
i also applaud the end of the the Adam storyline!
he really didn't look that scary but rather a big
crybaby to me. such whiningI'm also sure a honeymoon
with old Jeffy would be,well Icky.... LOL i still say Adam and Hallie What a pair!

jennifer

1897 Rules!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2002, 07:07:21 AM »
That skeleton was pretty creepy looking --

Whomever that skeleton belonged to ... assuming it was someone who was walled up in that room ... couldn't they have gotten out a window?  That wall didn't seem too sturdy either!

The skeleton looked better without the wig! I assumed the person had died, and was left there. Somebody went through a lot of trouble to obliterate them with that unsturdy wall.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2002, 07:56:33 AM »
I, too, am all too happy to see the last of Adam. And I agree that the storyline continues in a well done and interesting fashion for some time to come.

The Frankenstein theme works for a book or a movie. But, I guess the production people just didn't realize how differently a  daily tv show plays. You might be able to take an hour of a unpleasant character in the middle of a movie, but not DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY. Same thing with Lizzie and her death obsession. Vampire=sexy, werewolf=exciting, talking non-stop about death=ratings killer!

Actually, I'm not sure it works that well for a movie either. The latest Star Wars was my least favorite so far, because I really don't like petulant, whiny, lazy, knowitall teenagers and don't care to have to listen to it and watch it!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2002, 11:49:50 AM »
The skeleton looked better without the wig!

LOL!! I was wondering what happened to the wig?!

You're right Vlad, that Adam storyline was getting too dragged out and after awhile you got tired of all that whining & complaining! First he wanted a mate, then he whined about her not loving him, then he kills her and then whines that he wants her to be bought back to life again!  This guy was never satisfied! No wonder Eve couldn't stand him!

Im looking forward to this next storyline. I love when they venture back into the past and it'll be great to see those nice costumes again instead of the usual drab Orbach's that we've seen everyday so far. Also good to see some new supernatural beings as well.

That's funny about Amy & David watching the sunrise, when the whole night it did nothing but storm! Another discrepency on the writers part I guess. [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2002, 11:59:40 PM »
    Thank you, kuanyin.  You explained perfectly why I could not relate to the latest Star Wars installment.  It has been awhile since I could identify with pentulant, whiney, lazy know-it-all teenagers.  Some friends of ours hung a sign on the refridgerator for their teens and their teen's friends "Move out now while you still know it all".
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2002, 06:52:41 PM »

With the haunting of Quentin and the children exploring the closed off rooms, I've been feeling once again that I'd love to live at Collinwood.  I realized I haven't felt that way since the pre-Adam days.

That sums it up Perfectly for me!!  I couldn't agree more.  I find myself really looking forward to viewing the episodes where I was just habitually viewing during the adam storyline.   Thanks for putting it into words.

Franimal

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2002, 07:56:27 PM »
Yeah Vlad,
I have to agree with you as well.  The ADAM story line was getting a bit much.  [puke]
Now, what happend to Adam exactly?  Are we to assume that Adam went off with Prof. Stokes freind,(who Stokes called later in that episode) and lived happily ever after? [beer]  
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2002, 09:01:18 PM »
I wonder if it wasn't merely a lucky toss of the dice which led from the unpopular Adam story line into the 1897/Quentin story line.

We know that DS started to dip in the ratings in 1968; the trend was reversed by moving the show to a later hour. Clearly by this time they were well aware of the kid-appeal the show had. Did they further pursue that by introducing Amy? We saw very little of David during the Adam story line; now we have the show pretty much focused on the kids for several weeks.

Apparently Robert Rodan was let go because he wanted a raise; was this the move that led Curtis to come up with the Quentin character? If Adam had stayed with the show, would there ever have been a Quentin?

Also, the departure of Alexandra Molkte and Joel Crothers may have stirred Curtis into taking some action to breathe new life into the show. Was their departure the catalyst for the Quentin story?

As I watch these early Quentin episodes I wonder if they were already planning to go back in time to 1897 or if that was a later development. When Magda spoke through Carolyn at the seance I wondered whether or not they might have originally had Nancy Barrett in mind for the role of the gypsy.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2002, 01:57:08 AM »
Also, the departure of Alexandra Molkte and Joel Crothers may have stirred Curtis into taking some action to breathe new life into the show. Was their departure the catalyst for the Quentin story?

My understanding was that the Quentin storyline was plotted.  Crothers apparently wanted to play the part--was tired of playing Joe "4-Square-All-American" Haskell.  He was told no and he chose to go elsewhere.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga