Author Topic: Is loving insane?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Is loving insane?
« on: September 12, 2002, 02:14:22 AM »
Ummmm, yes. Perhaps it is because I am middleaged, but I have to wonder if talk about LOVE could be made the same way today. Vicky just sounds like an ass. I know that isn't unusual for her character, but I wonder if soap operas today would have that type of love that defies all reason today?

I sincerely hope that we are past love being an excuse to act totally inappropriately. Although, I am reminded of Alexandra Moltke herself in the Von Bulow (or whatever) trial. She was testifying against him, (being now out of love), and justifying her former silence with "Haven't you ever been in love?" This was still a while ago, though, I wouldn't call it current.

"He's here." "He's gone." "He's an astral manifestation!"

The part of Jeffy Clark will be played today by an annoying light.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Is loving insane?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2002, 02:50:35 AM »
Ummmm, yes. Perhaps it is because I am middleaged, but I have to wonder if talk about LOVE could be made the same way today.

When I think of love, I think of a soulmate, a person with whom one has a strong affinity. That is so hard to come by, and cannot be found by looking for it. I think it's a meant-to-be moment, that turns out to mean the world to those lucky few it happens to. It never happened to me, and I'm almost middleaged. I just look forward to raising my daughter and seeing some grandchildren some day.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2002, 03:22:30 AM »
You cannot put a definition on love. Sure there is the WEBSTER DICTIONARY definition. However, the meaning of love and its expression could be as different as people are individuals.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 03:46:02 AM »
You cannot put a definition on love. Sure there is the WEBSTER DICTIONARY definition. However, the meaning of love and its expression could be as different as people are individuals.

Surely though there are basic qualities to the definition.  It's not entirely subjective.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 04:46:22 AM »
Surely though there are basic qualities to the definition.  It's not entirely subjective.

Here's my entirely subjective list of requirements:

He makes you laugh...
He doesn't tell you lies...
He tries to get along with YOUR family at least as hard as you try to get along with his...
He generally agrees with you on how to raise kids...
He generally agrees with you on how to spend money...
He has no dibilitating addictions...
The sex is at least VERY GOOD...

I do not believe in fireworks, shooting stars, soul-mates or happily-ever-after.  Just trust, honesty, hard work, compromise and.....love.

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 04:48:47 AM »

I did mention the WEBSTER DICTIONARY as a basic definition source and the other is just my opinion or interpretation of the post query. What are those basic qualities maintained by each and everyone of us?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Nancy

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 05:32:18 AM »
Ummmm, yes. Perhaps it is because I am middleaged, but I have to wonder if talk about LOVE could be made the same way today. Vicky just sounds like an ass. I know that isn't unusual for her character, but I wonder if soap operas today would have that type of love that defies all reason today?

I sincerely hope that we are past love being an excuse to act totally inappropriately. Although, I am reminded of Alexandra Moltke herself in the Von Bulow (or whatever) trial. She was testifying against him, (being now out of love), and justifying her former silence with "Haven't you ever been in love?" This was still a while ago, though, I wouldn't call it current.

Interesting. In the case of Moltke testifying, IIRC, she was forced to testify against her will and she even left the country to  try avoiding being compelled to appear.  

I also believe that soap operas in general have the most unrealistic, way out depictions of love including DS. I've read right here about the things some characters did that were inexplicable including in regards to other characters they supposedly love.  Writers need to force situations to occur even if it's illogical in order to keep material going five days a week for years. They create their characters and the plots for the sole reason of making people tune in the next day.  That's very different than reading a crafted novel where the purpose is (usually) about creating a whole story and integrating human feelings and situations.  Most soap stories are pretty stupid and the way people tend to behave on them is unrealistic.  

Nancy

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 05:44:12 AM »
Talking about soaps, not DS, how many times has Victor married Nicky on the "Young and the Restless"?  If we were to base or ideas of love and marriage on soaps we would be sadly off base.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 07:23:48 AM »
Here's my entirely subjective list of requirements:

He makes you laugh...
He doesn't tell you lies...
He tries to get along with YOUR family at least as hard as you try to get along with his...
He generally agrees with you on how to raise kids...
He generally agrees with you on how to spend money...
He has no dibilitating addictions...
The sex is at least VERY GOOD...

I do not believe in fireworks, shooting stars, soul-mates or happily-ever-after.  Just trust, honesty, hard work, compromise and.....love.

very good Rainey works for me!
the trouble with soaps is just what Nancy said plus
they fall in love in one minute and out of love a few seconds later!
it's a shame AM had to be part of that trial  it was sad to see her put through that!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 09:06:17 AM »
When I think of love, I think of a soulmate, a person with whom one has a strong affinity. That is so hard to come by, and cannot be found by looking for it. I think it's a meant-to-be moment, that turns out to mean the world to those lucky few it happens to. It never happened to me, and I'm almost middleaged. I just look forward to raising my daughter and seeing some grandchildren some day.

Nicely said Cheryl.  That's exactly how I feel! I think if you''re lucky enough to find your real soulmate, then you're truly blessed! :-)

As for Vicky & Jeff Clark, all I can say is that she didn't carry on that way after she heard about Burke Devlin not coming back.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 09:59:55 AM »
As for Vicky & Jeff Clark, all I can say is that she didn't carry on that way after she heard about Burke Devlin not coming back.

I don't know about that - she was pretty upset and moping around.  She kept insisting that they didn't know that he was dead and kept believing that he might be alive.  Then, before it could go any further, she found herself in 1795.
Josette

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2002, 06:26:12 AM »
God, why couldn't Stokes and Liz just let the New Vicki jump already?!

[jawdrp]

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2002, 03:17:48 PM »
Rainey, you put it well, could not agree more. Must add respect each other.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2002, 05:55:58 PM »
Rainey...Must add respect each other.

Thank you Birdie...how on earth did I forget the single most important thing?!!!

We're raising a teenaged daughter and respect is the one issue we raise ALL the time...being respectful OF  her friends, and insisting on being treated WITH respect by her friends, male and female.

RaineyP
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas