Author Topic: Roger Davis's Characters  (Read 1270 times)

Offline keasus

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Roger Davis's Characters
« on: September 10, 2002, 09:08:23 PM »
Even though I haven't posted here in a while, I have been lurking.   I've wanted to unleash a tirade about the Jeff Clarke character, whom I detested the first time I saw him in 1968, but others have posted more eloquently (and hilariously) on the subject than I could ever hope.

Since the subsequent  characters Roger Davis portrays are basically variations on the same irritating theme, was there ever a fan backlash backlash any time one of his new characters appeared, or were viewers more tolerant back then?

KEASUS, feeling older and cranky but glad to be back

Offline CD_Tate

• Junior Poster
  • I'm soooo artistic.
    • View Profile
    • Pix:
Re: Roger Davis's Characters
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 01:07:37 AM »
I get the impression--but then, I'm still a newbie here--that the general distaste held for RD's characters has as much (or more) to do with offscreen things than onscreen.  Particularly his demeaner at one or two specific conventions, and the fact that other castmembers have broadly hinted at friction on the set.  

Try as I might, I can't see anything in the show itself that would lead people to think of him as annoying--his quirks are no weirder than those of the rest of the cast...  Almost everyone has some silly habit or another.  As a whole, I find them endearing.

Not to say that I'm any special fan.  (I chose the name  CD Tate here thinking it would be a reasonably obscure reference, not realizing that it would brand me for life in the forum.  Let's just say I'll be glad when he's gone too, so I won't need to keep hearing the tirades every day...)

People like to jump on bandwagons, and people like to make fun.  Nothing wrong with that...  But as someone whose only contact with Dark Shadows is the show itself, I can't figure out why all the animosity.  Other than to humor our Mysterious Benefactor, that is...  :)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 01:45:48 AM »
Try as I might, I can't see anything in the show itself that would lead people to think of him as annoying--his quirks are no weirder than those of the rest of the cast...    

If you watched the scenes with Jeffy & Dr. Lang, and STILL don't see it, then I guess you never will! And that's OK. Personally, I love your avatar with the hilarious comment underneath it.  

I admit I am partially influenced by being part of this board this time around. Last time (w/o board) I was just happy to see the ol' Smith & Jones guy, I loved that show and I had missed that part of DS when I was a kid. This time, I saw what people were carrying on about. I didn't "take" with Betsey though, I suspect what people hate is that she isn't Alexandra Moltke, or imitating AM. Which I don't see as being her job and I think she performed decently. I hated Anthony George every time I've watched him play Burke, even though I came in late and he was the first Burke I knew. I hated Amanda Harris and the word hate doesn't even cover my feelings for the character of Adam. I had no idea that others might agree with me on those. I wasn't bothered by Hallie Stokes, so it will be interesting when she is on again, to see if the popular opinion overtakes me!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 02:42:29 AM »
Let's just say I'll be glad when he's gone too, so I won't need to keep hearing the tirades every day...)

Everyone has their quirks, but I did get a little annoyed with the Jeff/Peter & Vicki deal. That's just the way the story went. I'm not too familiar with Roger Davis's other characters on the show, because I haven't seen portions of the show since it's first run.  I sort of remember Charles Delaware Tate, especially the head rolling scene. As for Roger Davis in person, I only started going to the Dark Shadows Festivals in 1998, but he's always been a nice person, from what I have observed and encountered. I did find it rather amusing when a couple of years ago, at the Halloween party banquet on Saturday night in CT, while he was at the dessert table, he accidentally leaned over into the cake, and it got all over his jacket! Messy Roger. As for the tirades that you are tired of hearing CD Tate, or reading, I have read comments about Craig Slocum that were so bad, and hurt me so bad, I almost wanted to leave Dark Shadows fandom, and just focus on the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, for which I am involved in his memory. I like your avatar, CD Tate. It's a good one!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 02:44:11 AM »
Try as I might, I can't see anything in the show itself that would lead people to think of him as annoying--his quirks are no weirder than those of the rest of the cast...  Almost everyone has some silly habit or another.  As a whole, I find them endearing.

First of all, I have never been to a Fest and I've never met Roger Davis elsewhere.  My dislike of his "acting style" was formed before I ever got online and encountered any anti-Roger Davis feeling.  I admit my dislike has deepened with each successive viewing and that comments by actors and fans have not made it mellow any.

Yeah, there are plenty of actors (on DS and off) with their own particular quirks and yeah, there are plenty of actors (on DS and off) who are not great actors.  

Having said that, I find Roger Davis' acting (on DS--I've never seen him in anything else) intensely annoying.  I also don't think he's particularly good at it.   Somehow he apparently decided that he should be loud and physical and hammy as hell and that this would constitute a good performance.  The only emotion he does well is rage, at least I think it's rage--that's the only emotion I've ever seen him really try.

What's more damning for me is watching how he treats his costars, particularly his female costars.  The other day he literally pushed Marie Wallace out of the frame.  There will be a scene shortly where he practically cops a feel off the actress playing his character's sister.  In 1897, he knocks Joan Bennett about.  It's all noticeable and it's not appropriate.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Nancy

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2002, 03:02:30 AM »
What's more damning for me is watching how he treats his costars, particularly his female costars.  The other day he literally pushed Marie Wallace out of the frame.  There will be a scene shortly where he practically cops a feel off the actress playing his character's sister.  In 1897, he knocks Joan Bennett about.  It's all noticeable and it's not appropriate.

Marie Wallace talked about Davis' habit of manhandling his female co-stars which included pushing Marie out of the "frame" when they did scenes together and also giving a shove to Joan Bennett.  All in good fun supposedly.  I think I would have punched his lights out myself.;)

I am not a repeat viewer of DS so I haven't really a multitude of specific instances of RD's overacting to list, but what I remember of RD's work on the show isn't memorable at all.  In fact, it was annoying. The shouting and physical intensity was inappropriate quite a few times and just plain overdone.  

I have been to over ten DS festivals and observed RD quite a bit of the time.  It's hard not too.   Some of his antics there miraculously has never made it on the internet fandom.  Lucky for him.   He did tone down his act at the festivals after 1990 when fans were talking about him (as they are now) online as he was online reading the stuff he said. Maybe he still is. I'm sure several other of the DS actors read some of what is said about them.

I agree with what Luciaphil said above. I hope the shock of that statement is not too much for our beloved scribe.;)

Nancy

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2002, 03:14:24 AM »
I just don't think he's a good actor. He would be good at playing someone who is in a state of rage the entire time, but I don't think he conveys emotion that well. I remember after watching his frst episode in the 1795 storyline hoping he would get better. But it didn't in my opinion. But I respect anyone's opinion who likes Roger Davis, I just don't agree with it. I just find him and his characters annoying onscreen. Can't really say anything about him offscreen, but someone I talked to said Roger Davis was very rude and grumpy to her when she met him a few years back.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 03:34:17 AM »
I've met him a couple times and found him nice and polite. I found the real estate thing at the festival to be inappropriate for the situation. Seemed like he was bragging but maybe he was just proud.
I liked him on Alias Smith & Jones but do think his acting on DS was over the top most of the time.
Here's alittle Roger story from this past festival. It was late Sunday night and a friend of mine was telling me how she did not get a picture with many cast members. We were walking around the hotel and spotted Roger so I asked him to pose with her and I would take the picture. I did not realize I did not have any film left at the time and my camera would not work. It was a new camera and I really did not know how to work it. Finally, I just apologized and said the camera was broke. He then went on to tell me it wasn't broke I just did not know how to work a digital camera. Now he was not rude when he said it, it was just a comment. What was funny is that my camera was not a digital camera. I just ran out of film so it would not take another picture. I felt bad for my friend so I told him the least he could do is give her a hug which he agreed with a smile and gave her a nice hug and thanked her for coming.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2002, 08:00:44 AM »
I agree with what Luciaphil said above. I hope the shock of that statement is not too much for our beloved scribe.;)

Thump.  (falling over from the shock of this news!)

Luciaphil ;)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2002, 08:35:24 AM »
I can't comment on all this Roger Davis stuff because I haven't been watching.  The few shows I HAVE seen over the past few months, he wasn't on.  (I guess according to popular opinion, that would be considered a GOOD thing).  LOL

In any event, all the comments brought to mind an old storyboard I did a couple of years ago.  This little bit from it seems ironically appropriate.  Yes??

Maybe I was picking up on something between the two of them?  [hdscrt]

-CLC  ;D

Nancy

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2002, 08:41:16 AM »
In any event, all the comments brought to mind an old storyboard I did a couple of years ago.  This little bit from it seems ironically appropriate.  Yes??

Wow, that is really good, Connie.  :o

Typically, guys like that don't try to manhandle people who can probably clock them.

Nancy

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2002, 09:55:13 AM »
that may be the fight where quentin hits tate over the head with one of them plastic bottles.. and in coming back to that scene, you can see davis placing the pieces of the "glass" on his shoulder so that when he comes to, be a more dramatic effect, it really is a blooper, they let anything go on the airwaves
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2002, 08:26:53 AM »
I'm with Luciaphil also on this one I've never been to a fest or met him either! listen to him on the Ron Barry
interview from 1969(?) on the Ds CD he tries to take it over! sorry people feel bad when actors they like are criticized! hey i love Don B and plenty of people here have said his acting sucks so what! i've never met any of these actors and have nothing against them personally but there are a lot of them i love and a few i don't i don't even think RD is the worst actor on the show!Also most of the time other posters opinions don't tend to change my views but i did look at Harry a little differently this time and saw he was pretty good as Harry Cheryl

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV