Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0089  (Read 1320 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0089
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0089
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »
Why are the Collinses acting as if their fort has been fired upon?   It's not war, it's competition!   Is it wrong to compete?   They're treating Burke like a big scary dog, whose power to hurt you is measured by how tough and mad he is.   Has Burke ever run a fishery and cannery?   Why would he be that great at it?

Another anti-Burke point not made onscreen:   Burke may not be able to maintain those higher wages for very long-- maybe long enough to drive the Collinses out of the business, but later, he may have to drop his wages back down again.   Either that, or his high wages and profit-sharing may mean a successful operation which he nonetheless isn't making much money from, personally.   Would he stick with it?   Would profit-sharing lead to participating workers taking a bath, when things are bad?  It all seems very unpredictable for any Collins workers who jump ship.

They ought to suggest Burke's wage ideas to Liz.   If they're reasonable she may match them.  If not, she'll explain why the business would suffer.   It also might come out that she wasn't against such terms, but was just the kind of person who leaves things alone, when they seem to be running smoothly.

Not only did I find myself thinking that the guy playing Amos must have done mostly Mob parts, but also that he himself might just be a mobster-turned-actor.   This is totally unjustified, just a passing thought.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
Not only did I find myself thinking that the guy playing Amos must have done mostly Mob parts, but also that he himself might just be a mobster-turned-actor.   This is totally unjustified, just a passing thought.

LOL!!!!

Is it my imagination or does the actor playing Amos Finch call Burke Boirk? Now there’s a Maine native for ya.

I wanted to post a bit of Luciaphil’s 2005 comments on this episode, because they are so on the money. And it’s pretty funny.
From Luciaphil’s Idle Thoughts:
You can practically see the cigarette smoke wafting around the hotel suite, it's that thick. Mitchell Ryan, who had his own share of problems, is totally blowing his scenes. You can tell he's messing up the lines because the guy playing Amos is madly trying to read the TelePrompTer because Ryan's screwed up the cues. Then the actor playing Zeb Cartwright is looking dazed, which is no surprise. In the space of five minutes, Ryan has referred to him as Jim, Sam, and Zeb. Amos takes off (I think ahead of schedule).

TPTB most likely never dreamed we’d be watching DS in syndication, but they really should have shot that whole scene over. It’s akin to that moment during a play when one of the actors forgets their lines and there is a rather lengthy lull as they search for their cue.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:54:50 PM »
I didn't notice all of that, but I did notice awkwardness, as if Amos was stuck, and saw him look in the direction of the camera, where the prompter must have been.   This may be the first time I've caught a look at a teleprompter.   I expected it, after the awkward pauses.  It didn't seem to help him much.

Rather than Mitch's mistakes though, I thought about how he had to be poised and ready to sound as if he was right in the middle of a heated conversation, every time the cameras cut from Collinwood back to him.   It would look very strange to see all this in person.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:42 PM »
Why are the Collinses acting as if their fort has been fired upon?   It's not war, it's competition!
Yes, this episode seemed very old-fashioned.  Was it contemptible to try to hire away your competitor's employees back in the 1960s?  What I really want to know is: does Collinsport Enterprises offer its employees health insurance?  Life insurance?  Free cans of sardines the way Bumble Bee Foods did?  I felt sort of sad watching this show and thinking about the fact that there are no more sardine canneries left in the US:
Burke may not be able to maintain those higher wages for very long-- maybe long enough to drive the Collinses out of the business, but later, he may have to drop his wages back down again.
Maybe the plan is that, with this pressure on Elizabeth, she'll ask fewer questions when some banker (not James Blair, since he's out in the open now) offers to take a mortgage (or whatever the proper wording is) on Collinwood.

Not only did I find myself thinking that the guy playing Amos must have done mostly Mob parts, but also that he himself might just be a mobster-turned-actor.
His hair looked really weird when he was talking to Elizabeth in the foyer.  There was a strange tuft sticking out on the other side.

Mitchell Ryan, who had his own share of problems, is totally blowing his scenes.
This is the episode in which Mitchell Ryan put John Baragrey (who plays James Blair) on the spot, isn't it?  If I heard the story correctly, it was Burke Devlin who was supposed to give Fitch and friends the details on how much more money they'd make working for Burke, but Ryan forgot his lines, so he just said, "Mr. Blair will tell you all about it" and sat down.  I must say, if that's the case, John Baragrey did a splendid job.  And if it isn't the case, he did a splendid job, anyway.  He had a wonderful 1940s movie aura.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:13:13 AM »
CRISIS AT THE CANNERY! CRISIS AT THE CANNERY!

The Collinses have NEVER had any competition, so any competition at all would look like a shot across the bow. And because they have no competition, I'm sure they don't offer any of the perks that employees get (or used to get), such as health insurance, paid vacation days, paid sick days, etc. I get the impression that Maine's economy was kind of depressed in those days, so I'll bet anyone in Collinsport who had a job with Collinsport Enterprises considered him- or herself lucky.

Here's a link to George Matthews's (Amos Fitch) bio at IMDB. He played a lot of tough guy.

And yes, John Baragrey was wonderful. Too bad he didn't get more screen time on the show.

MT, are there really no more sardine canneries left in the U.S.? How sad indeed.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:12:01 AM »
The Collinses have NEVER had any competition, so any competition at all would look like a shot across the bow. And because they have no competition, I'm sure they don't offer any of the perks that employees get (or used to get), such as health insurance, paid vacation days, paid sick days, etc. I get the impression that Maine's economy was kind of depressed in those days, so I'll bet anyone in Collinsport who had a job with Collinsport Enterprises considered him- or herself lucky.

I don’t know too much about what working back then was like, except that factories used to shut down for two weeks in the summer and those two weeks were the employee’s vacation time. I can’t imagine Liz not taking care of her people. I think they would have medical coverage and sick time.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »
I'm not so sure about that, Janet.  If medical coverage and sick time were not the norm, would Liz go the extra mile and give them anyway?  I think she'd make sure that victims of accidents at the cannery were taken care of, and I can imagine Christmas turkeys being distributed; those things would come personally from her.  For across the board benefits, however, I'd need some extra persuading, especially since it seems clear that there was no union at Collins Enterprises.  If Dark Shadows hadn't gone the supernatural route, an attempt to bring in a union would have been a possible storyline, and I'd be interested to see if Burke would have been exerting some influence behind the scenes on the issue.

A year or so later, we see[spoiler]Tony Peterson the lawyer trying to get Roger to pay the expenses (or something) for a cannery worker who was injured.[/spoiler]We don't get many details; it was just a way to bring in a new character.  But it indicates that Liz wasn't a soft touch - which isn't surprising at all.[spoiler]Note: the dispute was with Roger, but I'm sure Liz heard about it.[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
If Thayer David had not been available to play Ben Stokes in 1795, the actor playing Amos would have made an interesting alternate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »
Interesting thought, joeytrom!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
Roger is once again trying to get his sister to send Vickie packing
Elizabeth says to Roger," You never were much of a fighter."  Of course she doesn't know how hard he is fighting to him stay out of jail, but there is only one thing Roger cares about which is  his own hide to quote Burke
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times