Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1006  (Read 2170 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1006
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1006
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 04:30:32 AM »
Kinescoped episode....  Damn, Angelique's hypnotizing a ghost!   Sorry Midnite about the "revenging" once again...  Dameon does want Quentin to know about Angelique, to help him I guess, even if he also has to gloat about how Q might end up....?   DE looks and sounds like Trask!   

Larry Chase, substituting for Chris Collins.   I wonder what's happening to Don at this point.   I'll feel stupid when I'm told why this actor is so familiar.   

Cyrus is now anticipating becoming Yaeger permanently, and doesn't seem to mind so much, even though he's just been told that Yaeger has started beating Buffie.   I'm not saying at all that there isn't a very decent Cyrus Longworth in there, but that's not the whole person.

Horace knows.  Bum bum bum.   John Harkins rules!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:10:52 AM »
Oh, gosh, no wonder I never can remember the details of Dameon's death.  We aren't given much at all, and a crucial line  - or anyway, it seems to be a crucial line - gets half-swallowed by the kinescope sound.  Dameon was meddlesome.  He annoyed Angelique.  Angelique had Bruno and Trask kill him - or anyway, I think she did; that's the sentence that was mangled by the kinescope.  What on earth did he do to make his death necessary to Angelique? Did he know something that she didn't want revealed?  Did he blackmail her?  If so, did Bruno and Trask know the something, or were they just following orders?  I'm baffled.

Larry Chase, substituting for Chris Collins.
It seemed very much to me that it was a last-minute substitution, rather like throwing Joe Haskell in to do Burke's lines way back when Mitchell Ryan left the show.

Cyrus is now anticipating becoming Yaeger permanently, and doesn't seem to mind so much, even though he's just been told that Yaeger has started beating Buffie.
It was strange to see Cyrus working on his scientific stuff when he should know that John Yaeger will, one way or another, destroy everything.

Horace Gladstone's lips fascinate me.  I try to figure out exactly how they deviate from average lips, but I haven't nailed it down.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:28:05 AM »
I'd like to know how Horace Gladstone got that nasty-looking cut on the side of his head.  Perhaps poor Horace took a fall after coming out of The Eagle, feeling "no pain"?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:23:15 PM »
Larry Chase, substituting for Chris Collins.   I wonder what's happening to Don at this point.   I'll feel stupid when I'm told why this actor is so familiar.

Don was unable to continue on the show due to health problems caused by recreational drug use.  (His scenes in HoDS already wrapped.)  It's been rumored that he was to have played Randall Drew in 1840, but Don had left NYC and had what some have called a breakdown, though we now know he suffered from bipolar disorder.

Ken McEwen (Chase) had been the show's Associate Director for over a year.  And why on earth would you ever feel stupid?  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
The screen captures have finally been added to the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 01:17:04 AM »
I black and white make me remember how I saw most of the show.

Larry Chase reminded me of the guy that filled in for actor that played the last
Dr Woodard. For a director he did a good job.

I guess Angelique had to be evil. I wonder if the original powers got passed down in
the family.  It seems like it was the family business.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »
Ken McEwen (Chase) had been the show's Associate Director for over a year.  And why on earth would you ever feel stupid?  :-*

That's very nice of you to say Midnite, thanks.... he's so familiar that I thought he must have had another, bigger role on the show.   I was glad to have his more real acting, as opposed to the somewhat larger acting the principles were apparently pressured to do.   Thanks for the info on Don.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:24:27 AM »
5/4/70

Thank goodness for kinescope! ;) It's amazing only one episode is missing! What a miracle it would be to find the missing episode.  Maybe one day who knows? Or is it fact that it is gone for good?

Does anyone know if the VO's were done live in the latter years?  We know that KLS claimed that if you were in the first scene one couldn't do the voice over ; however this has been discounted!  I do remember some voiceover’s with mess ups in the early days so I suppose they may have been live and then later taped ahead of time! 

I have great respect for actors who play to a green screen because they have to imagine in their mind what is before them. 

Wow—two day players!!  Not surprising though with all of the vets off to shoot HODS!! 

Awesome transformation which seemed very seamless as far as the music goes!  KUDOS!!

Why is romantic music playing while Buffie and Cyrus are chatting? Seems out of place!

Buffie looked HIGHlarious in the magnifying glass.  I love the little hand tick CP uses for Cyrus!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:44 AM »
Angelique:  "Well, I gave you every opportunity to go away and leave me alone, but you refused. I did what HAD to be done."
Dameon:  "You mean you got Bruno and Trask to do it for you."
A:  "Bruno loved me the way I wanted to be loved."
D:  "No man ever loved you like I loved you."
A:  "Stay where you are. Don't come any closer, and keep looking into my eyes. Now I know you want your death revenged. I can't blame you for that, but I cannot allow you. I have laid many plans here and I won't have them upset by you or by anyone else."
D:  "And I won't rest until Quentin knows the truth about you."
A:  "Oh yes you will. I summoned you here and I can send you away again. You had to appear because I used the Candle of the Seventh Secret. It can bring you here because they have control over life. And they can send you away again because they have control over death.  They can send you back to your grave forever."
D:  "I'm not a living being anymore, Angelique. The candles have no power over me."
A:  "Then try to move. Try to lift your hand and snuff the candles out."
D:  "I-I-I can't move."
A:  "I have a hold over you in death too, you see. And when the seventh candle appeared, you appeared. When the seventh candle is snuffed out, you will return to your tomb and never appear again."
D:  "No. No, you can't do it. You can't do it."
A:  "Poor Dameon. Just as charming in death as he was in life, and every bit as meddlesome. But not for much longer. Good-bye, Dameon."
D:  "No, Angelique. Please, Angelique. No, no, AAAAA!"
A:  [Laughs] "Now nothing stands in my way. The house will be mine again. Quentin will be mine again. And nothing can stop me. Nothing."

I enjoyed that scene a lot more this time around.

What on earth did he do to make his death necessary to Angelique?

That's a very good question.  Since Dameon obviously fell for her, it seems unlikely that he would have tried to harm her, unless he was making demands that she couldn't meet.  Maybe the quality she liked in Bruno's brand of love was that he accepted the status quo?

Sorry Midnite about the "revenging" once again..

Thanks.  <sigh>

Not that I would condone violence toward women under any circumstance nor make light of it, but Yaeger tempted Buffie with a promise of money and furs and everything (shoes?), and all she has to show for putting up with his crap is a lackluster painting of a countryside?  He was supposed to be her ticket out, but they seem to have dropped that angle completely.  I see no reason anymore for her to not cash her next paycheck and get as far away as it will take her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
Thanks Midnite, for transcribing all that.  I really couldn't make it out last time.   Kinescope + VHS, not good, I guess.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »
Thanks for the transcription, Midnite.  Reading it, I'm thinking that in order to show his great love for Angelique, Dameon tried to anticipate her wishes, and misunderstood, possibly willfully, what her wishes were.  But it's all speculation and fan fiction fodder.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
I love the little hand tick CP uses for Cyrus!

I've been noticing little things like that, too.
Chris Pennock was never my favorite actor on DS, but now that I'm re-watching these episodes again, my attitude is changing. I find myself enjoying his performances more this second (or third) go round. I especially like the little nuances and mannerisms he is putting into his characters to differentiate them from one another. You can tell he put a lot of thought into his acting.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
I dislike Chris Pennock’s Jeb Hawkes, which may well be because Pennock took care to make Jeb unlikable – but I wish I had enjoyed Jeb’s unlikableness more.  That, of course, was the first role Pennock played on Dark Shadows, and therefore the only one of his that was written without him in mind.  All his roles after that are lots more fun, I think.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
I didn't care for Jeb either, and they say first impressions are everything.