Author Topic: Mame Review in Ventura County Star  (Read 954 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Mame Review in Ventura County Star
« on: November 07, 2002, 04:22:47 PM »
This morning's edition of the Ventura County Star includes a piece on Cabrillo Music Theatre's production of Mame. An entire paragraph is devoted to David Selby's portrayal of Beauregard. I've added a link to the article to my David Selby site.

Criseyde

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Connie

Re: Mame Review in Ventura County Star
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 01:24:31 AM »
It is my fervent hope that someone...ANYONE on the board, who is going to Mame, will post an in-depth, blow-by-blow description of David's performance for poor, unfortunate people like me who can't attend.
I think I am going to lose my mind...

"His strong string of stage and TV credits doesn't reveal his song-and-dance-man skills, so it's a surprise to see him moving across the stage with such elegant ease and singing so amiably."

Dying inside,
I am,
-CLC

P.S.  ProfStokes....are you going??

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 05:50:48 AM »
P.S.  ProfStokes....are you going??

LOL!  Yes, Connie, I am going to Saturday's performance, and so is victoriawinters.  I'm not much of a theatre critic, but I'll do what I can for you. ;)

ProfStokes

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 06:09:15 AM »
Another member of the club green with envy.  Maybe I will dig out my very old LP of the show Mame and dream this weekend.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Connie

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 07:22:47 AM »
I'm not much of a theatre critic, but I'll do what I can for you. ;)

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!  (there IS a God)  LOL
Don't worry about being a theater critic!  Just everything you can remember about my favorite song-and-dance man would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you, ProfStokes!
(This girl's got a better memory than a computer).  [thumb]

-CLC

P.S.  Anybody else who's going -- particularly any Selby Psychos -- could you post your impressions too??

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2002, 07:38:13 AM »

I too am looking forward to your report Prof. Stokes!  Your accounts are always so wonderful, I'm sure you'll do fine as a theater reviewer!

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja ;)
[/shadow]
[/size]

PS: Thanks Cris for posting the link and other reviews etc. for Mame!  You always come through for your fellow Selby fans!

Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 11:28:22 AM »
It is my fervent hope that someone...ANYONE on the board, who is going to Mame, will post an in-depth, blow-by-blow description of David's performance for poor, unfortunate people like me who can't attend.
I think I am going to lose my mind...

yes connie, we are going! a group of four us (including myself and the professor) from the so. calif. ds club are going to attend.  and not only are we going but i just found out today that we have permission to go backstage to meet and greet david.

thanks to ms. criseyde for her help in putting us in touch with the correct folks at the theater.  

we are also going to be fortunate as one member of our group, peter bradford, is a photographer.  so we should have some touching kodak moments as well.

i am a former theater/opera person and i may provide some musical type of commentary along with prof stokes report.  it should eventually appear on our club home page as well as here.

i'm just so excited and can hardly contain myself.

Connie

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2002, 12:20:45 PM »
...and not only are we going but i just found out today that we have permission to go backstage to meet and greet david.

That is great.  Have a wonderful time!  (How silly of me...of COURSE you will).  LOL
It's nice for David too 'cause he really seems to like it when his fans show up for these things.  When we went to see him in St. Nicholas they had that little reception afterwards, and he seemed truly touched that so many of his fans had travelled from all over to see him, you know?

we are also going to be fortunate as one member of our group, peter bradford, is a photographer.  so we should have some touching kodak moments as well.

I can't WAIT to see all the pictures.  Try to get as many as possible, okay?  LOL

i am a former theater/opera person and i may provide some musical type of commentary along with prof stokes report.

That would be wonderful.  I'd love to hear about his intonation, his control, his vibrato, what sort of register he's singing in these days, etc.!!  

i'm just so excited and can hardly contain myself.

I can imagine.  LOL   Have fun!

Attempting to live vicariously through y'all,
I am,
-CLC  :'(

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2002, 03:23:10 PM »
yes connie, we are going! a group of four us (including myself and the professor) from the so. calif. ds club are going to attend.  and not only are we going but i just found out today that we have permission to go backstage to meet and greet david.

thanks to ms. criseyde for her help in putting us in touch with the correct folks at the theater.

Actually, I had to send in my goons to lay the smack down.

Just kidding. The folks at Cabrillo Music Theatre couldn't possibly be any nicer from what I've seen. The producers have all been very helpful over the past few weeks.

Glad everything worked out for you guys. Hope you have fun.

Just please remember that it is not appropriate to yell out OHMYGODHEISSOBEAUTIFUL in the middle of the show. ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Connie

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2002, 02:44:20 PM »
Just please remember that it is not appropriate to yell out OHMYGODHEISSOBEAUTIFUL in the middle of the show. ;)

ROFL !   Aw....SURE it is!
I'm sure David would be pleased.  (It's always nice to be appreciated, don't ya think??)

-CLC  ;)

P.S.  It's just not appropriate to yell, "YUMMY!!!!"  LOL
                     (anything else is okay)