Author Topic: What did other writers want to do after 1897??  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What did other writers want to do after 1897??
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »
Jeremiah's ghost had the appearance of a mummy with all the bandages wrapped around it's face.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 01:38:19 AM »
That bloody, bandaged spook of Jeremiah scared the you-know-what out of me when I watched it plodding along mummy-like back in 1967.  When it would appear, I would cover my eyes (the way I did when I was younger when the face of the Wicked Witch of the West filled not only her enormous crystal ball shrieking "Auntie Em!  Auntie Em!" but the whole TV screen).  And I would here my mom screaming from the kitchen (knowing, as mothers knew, that something scary was happening on DS, even though she was no where near the living room):  "Turn that spooky crap off!"

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 02:19:02 AM »
LOL!  My brother used to hide behind my fathers legs during The Wizard of Oz, while I was right in front of the TV dazzled like a mindless zombie!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:20 AM »
They already (sort of) did The Mummy any way.  Barnabas was not a mummy, but the whole part of his early story that's not from Dracula is right out of the mummy.  The original film, with Boris Karloff, had the archaeologists (arguably tomb robbers) disturbing his rest. The mummy loses the bandages and pretends to be an archaeologist, a distant relative of the ancient Egyptians.  He lives peacefully enough until he sees the woman he fancies as the reincarnation of his lost love.  Then he turns violent and tries to recreate her through her modern counterpart. 

I forgot why he was mummified, but I think it had to to do with a forbidden love. 

Good catch, Doctorand K9, thanks!  That whole reincarnation of the lost love thing was totally the original Mummy with Karloff (and as many times as I've seen that movie, I never caught it until you mentioned it!) 

Going from memory, wasn't Im-Ho-Tep embalmed alive for trying to bring the woman he loved (the Pharaoh's daughter)back to life? (Oh yikes, I suddenly got a flashback from Bubba-Ho-Tep!)  I think they kept most of that plot with the later Mummy movies, too, but the Mummy then was Kharis. (Useless trivia is a wonderful thing.)

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 07:55:43 PM »
I saw a copy of a Soap Opera magazine from 1969 where it states that following 1897, DS was going to have a story involving a mummy.

Sam Hall said "the mummy" was a joke and they knew they were running dry on ideas when someone would joke about a "mummy" storyline.
Julia99

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 02:12:23 AM »
Well, at least the mummy would've been different.  All they did with the Gerard/Daphne storyline was rehash Quentin/Beth.  And it certainly wasn't better the second time around.  Even having the Creature from the Black Lagoon plodding around, leaving wet footprints all over driving Mrs. Johnson nuts, would have been a fresher serving of fish.

Gerard

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 02:51:18 AM »
Oh YIKES.  I just got a mental image of Alex Stephens as the Creature from the Black Lagoon, complete with that fresher serving of fish in his mouth.  [easter_shocked]

Its been the beginning of another one of THOSE weeks at work.....

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 03:28:53 AM »
Sam Hall said "the mummy" was a joke and they knew they were running dry on ideas when someone would joke about a "mummy" storyline.
Yes, it's easy to see how such a storyline could unravel in short order.  [easter_tongue]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 07:32:45 AM »
Well, at least the mummy would've been different.  All they did with the Gerard/Daphne storyline was rehash Quentin/Beth.  And it certainly wasn't better the second time around.  Even having the Creature from the Black Lagoon plodding around, leaving wet footprints all over driving Mrs. Johnson nuts, would have been a fresher serving of fish.

Amen.  It's hard to believe sometimes how much time they devoted to rehashing 1897 with 1995/1970/1840.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
I know that 1995 was tied to 1840, however, I wouldn't really conglomerate it with the 1840 rehash! For me 1995 was the highlight of the shows last full year and it quite possibly is  my FAVORITE storyline of the entire run, peroid, that is all she wrote, finito! [easter_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 10:33:12 AM »
Sorry to double post...but wanted to make it clear that the rehash was not needed at all and I totally get what your saying Magnus.  Judah [spoiler]could have destoryed Collinwood without using a male and female ghosts![/spoiler] I just wanted to point out the fabulosity that is 1995! IMO [easter_wink]

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 12:00:47 AM »

Yes, it's easy to see how such a storyline could unravel in short order.  [easter_tongue]

quite the card. .quite the card!   [easter_grin]
Julia99

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 12:08:01 AM »
Groan!  One of these days I am going to take you aside, and leave you there. [easter_evil]

Quote from: MsCriseyde

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 12:35:10 AM »
I know that 1995 was tied to 1840, however, I wouldn't really conglomerate it with the 1840 rehash! For me 1995 was the highlight of the shows last full year and it quite possibly is  my FAVORITE storyline of the entire run, peroid, that is all she wrote, finito! [easter_grin]

The thing is, though, the purpose of 1995 was to set up 1840, so while 1995 may have been the most original portion of 1995-1970-1840, it was still part of the reworking of 1897, a more extreme version of 1969 with Q driving everyone out of Collinwood.   I like 1995 too, but I also like 1840.   Once they committed to spending what feels like a year redoing 1897, they threw in enough satisfying twists to make it worthwhile.  I wonder if they had compiled a list of lost opportunities in 1897 that they wanted to make sure they did this time around... mainly having everything more extreme, with more death and destruction.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 02:14:34 AM »
with such a great regular cast it's strange that the writers felt that they needed to come up with a new monster,or gimmick,or time travel element every few months.

there was so much great material right there in front of them every day.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.