Author Topic: OT The death of VHS  (Read 7633 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT The death of VHS
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 09:03:18 PM »
By the time you read the "instruction" manuals to figure it all out and get it up and working it will be the latest thing on the market while all your friends will be cussing up a storm over their now obsolete, antiquated systems which they spent a ton on just six months ago when it was latest rage on the shelves.

So true. (And it's the same with computers - a new system is already obsolete by the time you get it home and set it up.  [easter_grin]  [easter_rolleyes]  [easter_cry]  (Which is why I build my own and upgrade as new components are released.))

But when it comes to VCR/DVD combos, they seem to be a disappearing breed, so if anyone is thinking of getting one, I wouldn't wait too long. And if you want to use it to record TV programs as well as copy VHS to DVD, be sure that the unit comes equipped with an ATSC tuner or that you have a cable box or else you won't be able to record anything.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 10:13:21 PM »
I think I mentioned on this thread, MB, that I have a DVD/VCR combo.  It also serves, via the DVD player, as a CD player and since it's hooked up to my stereo it works like a charm.  I got it as a present because my old, separate VCR, DVD and CD players all conked out at the same time, within days of each other. 

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »
I would suggest to all here who are thinking of buying this stuff to invest in a pair of I Ching wands instead.  Why?  Because shortly after you purchase all of it, it will become outdated and incompatible with the new gizmos.  Instead, toss the wands on a table, go into a trance, project yourself into the future with your credit card, buy the machinery and return with it to the present.  By the time you read the "instruction" manuals to figure it all out and get it up and working it will be the latest thing on the market

Or you can do what I do: Date a 21 year old, take them to the store, have them pick out the stuff, have them set it up and teach you how to use it, and then you teach them something they don't know in return (after a nice dinner of course). It's much easier and more fun my way than messin' with all that time travel stuff.  [easter_grin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »
Dom, at my age I'd still have to use the I Ching time-travel schtick to find a 21-year-old.

Gerard

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 01:04:20 AM »
...  toss the wands on a table, go into a trance, project yourself into the future with your credit card, buy the machinery and return with it to the present.  By the time you read the "instruction" manuals to figure it all out and get it up and working it will be the latest thing on the market while all your friends will be cussing up a storm over their now obsolete, antiquated systems which they spent a ton on just six months ago when it was latest rage on the shelves.  (The I Ching approach will also work with such things as computers, cellphones, i-pods, TV's, CD players and even household appliances.)

Comment: Gerard, your post made me laugh, it made me cry ...

dom's made me blush at the naughty innuendos ...

Joe, thank you for the additional information!

if you want to use it to record TV programs as well as copy VHS to DVD, be sure that the unit comes equipped with an ATSC tuner or that you have a cable box or else you won't be able to record anything.

This is beginning to sound complicated ... I know that at least one of the movies I want is available on a Region 2 disc, and in the past I somehow was able to break the encryption on another one of these. No major retailer will sell a region free DVD player, so what other option is there?

Also, on occasion I've taken a chance on purchasing a DVD identified as being Region 2, and found it was actually Region 0. This was the case with "Witchfinder General." (As an aside, "Witchfinder General" was later released in the US as a Region 1 disc.)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 02:35:53 AM »
This is beginning to sound complicated ... I know that at least one of the movies I want is available on a Region 2 disc, and in the past I somehow was able to break the encryption on another one of these. No major retailer will sell a region free DVD player, so what other option is there?

Also, on occasion I've taken a chance on purchasing a DVD identified as being Region 2, and found it was actually Region 0. This was the case with "Witchfinder General." (As an aside, "Witchfinder General" was later released in the US as a Region 1 disc.)

They may not TELL you they're selling a regionless machine, but you can find hack codes for most machines made by a major manufacturer.  I have two players, both Phillips, and it was a matter of less than 5 minutes on google to find and enter the codes to make both region free. My suggestion would be scope out the models you want, then see if you can get codes.  Buy whichever one you find the codes for.   I had the same problem with something only on region two, that's how I found out I could get the codes.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 07:01:48 PM »
Pansity,

That was very revealing information, thank you. Unfortunately, in my case, it doesn't work. I have the newest version of the Insignia DVD player (BestBuy's brand). The older version could be hacked. The new model can't be. Apparently BestBuy got wise to what they see as a problem. You can get to a screen that shows the Region code - but it can't be changed.

I am actually very surprised that there are any DVD players being produced today that would allow the code to be changed via hacking.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 07:48:03 PM »
perhaps it works on phillips because isnt phillips a company in the united kingdom?

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »
I am actually very surprised that there are any DVD players being produced today that would allow the code to be changed via hacking.
Hacking is never about what is allowed.[easter_grin]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
I was just at the Salvation Army, and even they didn't have one single VCR.  This scares me.   They're still selling great films on VHS, though.  I got seven plus a DVD of Spinal Tap.  The Salvation Army is toying with me, sending me mixed signals.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 02:45:22 AM »
You're quite welcome, Phillipe Cordier. 

Sorry you didn't make out as well with your Best Buy house brand.  The way mine happened was a total fluke  I bought a refurb portable player on line from a name appliance store, specifically because it was advertized as being a multi region machine (the only reason I'd wanted a portable was specifically for playing region 2 disks from Europe). I got the machine, had the same experience you did on not being able to change the region, but remembered something in a review of that model on Amazon.  Lo and behold, there was the code sequence to make it multistandard.   So, I got nosy and checked around and found that the codes for the regular player were out there as well.   [easter_grin]

Joe Integlia, it might well be a European company.  I just turned over the portable player to look, and of course it's no help.  MADE IN CHINA.   [easter_sad] [easter_shocked]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2009, 04:49:15 AM »
Amazon sells all region DVD players and  advertises them as such. We got a Philips from them, went to
http://www.videohelp.com/?voted   to find the hack code and voila! We get a lot of series and movies from
Amazon UK that can't be found here-e.g. the TV series ER is only available up to season 9 here, but is available to season 14 in the UK. Now that we have one, I'd never be without one again.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
Well, I bit the bullet and went snooping again to get a dvd recorder and vcr combo. Reviews on every model you could name are still all over the map, but I finally settled on one with the least amt of negatives, a Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK.  Price is half what it was last time I looked, so I went ahead an ordered it on line. (Reward to me for all the OT these past few weeks and the 14 hr research project that ate my last weekend!) Will let everyone know how it works out.

Jeannie