Author Topic: DS Repetition....  (Read 3512 times)

IluvBarnabas

DS Repetition....
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
I love DS, but there are certain things I have noticed that they do certain plots more than once (SPOILERS of course):

1. Barnabas was bricked up twice, once by Reverend Trask in 1968, again by Lamar Trask in 1840.

2. Julia is bitten by a vampire twice, once by Tom Jennings in 1968, again by Roxanne Drew in 1840.

3. David is possessed and controlled twice by ghosts, first by Quentin in 1969 and later on by Gerard Stiles in 1970.

4. Angelique blackmailed Barnabas into marrying her in 1795, and Quentin in becoming engaged to her in 1969.

5. Angelique dashed Rachel Drummond's hopes of a relationship with Barnabas in 1897, posing as his fiancee, she did the same thing again to Roxanne in 1840, only this time she announced herself as his wife.

6. Two witchcraft trials: Vicki in 1795, Quentin in 1840. Both saved from execution at the last moment.

7. Vicki and Desmond were both wounded while escaping from jail.

8. Vicki gets kidnapped not once, not twice, but THREE times....first by Matthew Morgan, then twice by Adam.

Can anyone think of anything else?

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: DS Repetition....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:31:34 PM »
Laura comes to reclaim her child(ren) twice that we see and another time we are told.
Barnabas see's a josette lookalike and must have her.  Maggie, Rachel,  Kitty, 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »
Elizabeth is hexed by Laura and is sent away to a hospital.

Elizabeth is hexed by Cassandralique and is sent away to, well, the morgue.

Judith is hexed by the orders of Gregory Trask and is sent away to a hospital.

Flora is hexed by....hey, wait!  Flora doesn't get hexed!  What's the matter with those writers - couldn't they come up with something hexing for her?

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »
Flora is hexed by....hey, wait!  Flora doesn't get hexed!  What's the matter with those writers - couldn't they come up with something hexing for her?

What weren't they thinking!!

[ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
There's SO much repetition of plots and plot elements that I need to work hard to try to disregard it in order to keep watching DS.   There's SO much of it that it seems to go beyond mere self-plagiarism (maybe), and may be an intentional thing.   It may be meant ironically somehow, self-parody, or it might be an expression of this "fate" idea that I'm learning to factor in (I've never thought it those terms).     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »
This certainly isn't a phenomenon unique to DS. The truth is every soap repeats plots and plot elements. It's the nature of the genre. If one was to trace back the events in any longtime soap character's life, I shudder to think how often they repeated the same mistakes or found themselves in similar predicaments. And if one was to expand that to look for those same elements in the lives of the other characters, they would surely crop up much, much more frequently.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 11:28:40 PM »
Guess it's common in many if not most shows, regardless of genre.  After all, Ricky is putting on a show, Lucy wants to get in the show, Ricky tells her she can't be in the show, Lucy does some red-headed thing to get in the show and ends up in trouble.  Ricky should've just sent her to the hospital; she could've shared a room with Elizabeth.

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:11:52 AM »
MB is right. It's not just DS, it's ALL soaps. Nature of the beast, indeed. I can't tell you how tired I am of repeating lines. If anyone watches GH, Carly just had ANOTHER miscarriage, and I'm afraid that if she has anymore, the Guiness Book of World Records will be ringing her. Not to mention how many times Sonny and/or Jason have been shot and come back to life, etc.

But hey, the repetition sure does say a lot about the audience: Either we're really stupid to watch the same stuff over and over again, or we're incrediably loyal to stick with this shows despite this factor.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 04:09:49 AM »
poor sam evans...

he suffers debilitating injuries at the hands of both of roger's crazy wives(laura and cassandra).

and both times it involves something to do with one of sam's paintings(note to all collinsport area artists...do not paint a portrait of mrs.roger collins!).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 04:19:06 AM »
Another one....

Julia is held prisoner by Count Petofi in 1897, by 1970PT Angelique, and by Angelique RT in 1840.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 06:27:22 AM »
note to all collinsport area artists...do not paint a portrait of mrs.roger collins!

Excellent words of advice, mscbryk!  [ghost_grin]

RachelDrummand

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 08:00:47 AM »
I love DS, but there are certain things I have noticed that they do certain plots more than once (SPOILERS of course):

3. David is possessed and controlled twice by ghosts, first by Quentin in 1969 and later on by Gerard Stiles in 1970.

I can forgive Dan Curtis this because I'm a TOTS fan and so was he! On a short commentary on his version TOTS, he talks about how the story "fascinated and scared the hell out of him." Of course since it was DS, he took the horror, ghosty element and basically disregarded the other factors, but that's ok. :)

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »
I don't mean to sound as if I was complaining. I just happen to notice that DS had a habit of doing a similar story once.

And yes, I have noticed other shows doing the same thing too.

And I think Brandon hit the nail on the head when he said we must be really loyal to a show to watch some of the same stuff happening again. I know I am.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
we must be really loyal to a show to watch some of the same stuff happening again. I know I am.

Like I said in another topic, soap audiences are some of the loyalest audiences ever. Viewers are known to stick with their shows for decades. And even if they leave for a time, they often come back. (As hard as it might be for some to believe, for about 8 years in the late '70s and early '80s I barely thought about DS. All of my stuff was packed away in the back of a closet, never touched - and when I thought of the show, it was simply as a fond memory. It wasn't until the fall of  '85, when I happened to notice that DS was syndicated in my area, that I checked out an episode. And even then I refused to get back into it at first. But every time I had time off from work, I'd tune in. And I guess that was my "mistake" because just over four months from the time I tuned into that first ep I found myself buying a VCR and taping the show every day. And now look at me! Apparently, no matter how hard we might fight, DS is in our blood and refuses to be denied.  [ghost_wink])

When it comes to any soap repeating plots or elements of plots, though, the circumstances are rarely exactly the same. There's generally a twist or two that makes things different.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 12:23:26 AM »
When it comes to any soap repeating plots or elements of plots, though, the circumstances are rarely exactly the same. There's generally a twist or two that makes things different.

This is true. Even DS showed some variation. Instead of doing a trial with Vicki, we'll do it with Quentin, and for a different type of witchcraft. Instead of doing a TOTS story with Quentin, we'll make up a new character and a different situation. At least we have that to be thankful for.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran