Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0703  (Read 3102 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0703
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:02 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0703
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
Joan Bennett gave an unusually nice voiceover today.

Terry Crawford is perfect as Beth the ghost, but as Beth the flesh and blood housemaid she doesn't do much for me at all.

I took a closer look at Barnabas's spikes today.  I think there may be as many as five on his right-hand side, but on his left-hand side the spikes don't seem terribly spiky at all.  Perhaps there was some carelessness in the dressing of his hair today.

What a glorious production Magda put on in the Collinwood drawing room!  And did Barnabas know she was going to describe him so unflatteringly?  Surely he didn't expect her to tell the world that he was a creature of the night - but surely she knew that word would get back to him of what she said.

Nice headgear today. I liked Beth's bonnet, and I liked Judith's snood.  It is a snood, isn't it?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:31 PM »
Yes, I always thought that Magda was, in some way, trying to expose Barnabas, or at least arouse suspicion about him. She certainly succeeded, with telling Quentin he would have the most to lose with the stranger's arrival. Barnabas arrives later on and Quentin confronts him with a sword! Even Judith seemed a bit frightened by Barnabas.

And yes, once Barnabas heard about what she said (and undoubtably he would) he would be none too happy with Magda. Which makes me wonder what made her think there wouldn't be hell to pay once he did find out.

Again, I enjoy the interaction between Quentin and Judith. They really despise each other, don't they?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »
I like 1897 when Magda is resentful and finds ways to sabotage Barnabas, engaging in brinkmanship maybe.   

[spoiler]Later, I still can't help liking 1897, but it seems that she settles into being a straightforward ally and helper of Barnabas, just because it was easier for the plot.   They may not have wanted to deal with her later as the interwoven plot lines got more involved.   It seemed that Magda settled down for "TV" reasons and became unrealistic.   She became another Julia in a way, just there to be another pair of hands to carry outr Barnabas's agenda.   Occasionally she'll stop to wonder at her cooperativeness, and she'll shrug and accept it.

I do like it much later when Barnabas protects Magda against the Gypsy Inquisition.   That was welcome, finally a bit of warmth between them, and it cleaned up the problem of why she kept helping, a bit late however.[/spoiler]

By the way, Magda, great fringe character, even counter-cultural.   The only series lately that I know of (because it's on broadcast TV) that goes out of its way to legitimize kinds of people whom the majority tends to shun would be Boston Legal.   Magda is very sympathetic, gets pushed around by everyone, has more love in her than the Collinses when allowed to show it... not respectable, garish, scheming, not palatable to most, but better than those around her.   A great character to show to middle-class viewers who might have as a major worry whether their bland lawn is perfectly mowed, and who wouldn't have given her the time of day in real life.

Lydia, I'm off for a happy adventure of snood-Googling.  Other people, when wanting to learn more about the world, study Alan Greenspan or charmed quarks, but me, I hear there's such a thing as a "snood" and I gotta find out what that snood thing is.   As a result my knowledge of the world is sort of hit and miss.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:48:14 AM »
Magda called Barnabas a vampire (!) in the previous ep, but when the scene was restaged, her line was changed to, "I know what you are."  I wonder why.

Taking a conversation to the drawing room in order to have "complete privacy"?  That's so laughable.

Perhaps there was some carelessness in the dressing of his hair today.

And his cape seriously needed some dusting off.  Ugh.

What a glorious production Magda put on in the Collinwood drawing room!  And did Barnabas know she was going to describe him so unflatteringly?  Surely he didn't expect her to tell the world that he was a creature of the night - but surely she knew that word would get back to him of what she said.

I'd like to offer another scenario, though it's just my opinion.  The scene ended before Barnabas and Magda discussed anything about her preceding him in visiting Collinwood the next day, so I think it's possible that he had no idea she would run to the family with news of his imminent arrival.  We know she is greedy above all else--who else would allow their partner to languish as a vampire slave in exchange for her receiving jewels?  Edith is the only person at Collinwood who takes her spiritual advice seriously, but the old woman is not long for this world.  Judith, for one, believes Magda is a charlatan, and soon as Edith passes on, Magda and Sandor will in all probability be out on their keisters... unless she can prove her usefulness to the surviving Collinses, and one way to do this is to impress them with her abilities.  Now she has intimate knowledge that a dark stranger will be visiting them later that day, pretending to be a relative; hmm, "mysterious" seems like a good word to use to describe him.  He's a vampire, so it's a sure bet he will arrive after dark.  Barnabas told her that he wanted to learn all he can about Quentin, even asking if he's dangerous, so it's also a safe call that Quentin should be especially wary of the stranger.  So, she brings this "serious warning" to the family, saying it was in the cards AND does a little crystal ball demonstration to really wow 'em, and when Barnabas does arrive, Judith is suddenly telling Quentin, "Everything the gypsy said is true."  Mission accomplished.

Magda is shrewd, greedy, deceitful, has unbelievable cojones... and you gotta love her!!

Magnus, did you enjoy your adventure in snood Googling?  I peeked at the images it brings up and was horrified to see a pic of a doggie in a snood.  What is wrong with some people??!

A good share of bloopers today with cameras and actors crossing into eyeshot.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »
Midnite, of course your scenario with Magda makes perfect sense, and I don't know why it never occurred to me before.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
Midnite, I'm surprised they got Snood Pooch to stand still long enough to take her/his picture, but if he/she stood still for the snood in the first place...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:48 PM »
Oh, okay, Lydia.  Yay!

Magnus, my rottie is trained to hold still.  But I wouldn't dare give her a release command while in the same room after making her wear a stupid thing like that.   [snow_wink]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:56:25 PM »
Magda called Barnabas a vampire (!) in the previous ep, but when the scene was restaged, her line was changed to, "I know what you are."  I wonder why.

I also wondered about the changed line. Grayson's delivery seemes more subdued also.It seems they are playing up the more menacing side of Barnabas.  I just love Magda.  One of my Grandmother's many interests was fortune telling with cards, tea leaves and sometimes the crystal ball.  It recalls many fond memories.

(edited to include quote)
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »
I love Magda, too. She's my favorite of Grayson's characters. [bigok] She sure was being gutsy when she put on a show for Quentin and Judith to alert them of Barnabas's arrival. She should have known that Barnabas would find out.

The scene when Quentin pulled the sword on Barnabas was very exciting. Barnabas really looked scared! [snow_shocked] I wonder if Barnabas would have died if Quentin had stabbed him in the heart or slashed his head off? After all, the sword was made of silver!

So now Quentin found out that Beth brought something into town, including a huge sum of money. It was entertaining to watch Beth be cagey with him and not tell him what was going on. [snow_wink]

Barnabas once again lied that he was a cousin from England. Deja Vu! [snow_rolleyes] But this time, he had a doubting Quentin to deal with! I know that Magda warned Quentin, but I have a feeling that Quentin would still have questioned Barnabas's claim. Quentin had just spent time in and returned from England, so he knew the boat schedules.

This was the episode when Jonathan Frid, carrying his street clothes, walked into the camera during the closing credits. [milestone] As soon as he noticed his mistake, he hastily stepped out of camera range. That was fun to watch! [snow_laugh]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2] 
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
I wonder if Barnabas would have died if Quentin had stabbed him in the heart or slashed his head off? After all, the sword was made of silver!

Weren't sword blades made of steel?  (Except golden scimitars. ;))

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »
Let's not spoil the fun we can all have thinking about Quentin vigorously polishing his sword lest it tarnish.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
I doubt Quentin's, uh, "sword" was ever in danger of tarnishing.  [snow_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 02:28:43 AM »
You both crack me up!

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 10:07:39 AM »
Oh, yeah! They were made of steel! [signerror] But one question still stands: Would Quentin have been able to slash Barnabas's head off? Or... would it not have been possible, and the sword would have just gone right through his body (like it would in a hologram or a ghost)? [snow_huh]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]