Author Topic: Things to Hate About DS  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Things to Hate About DS
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2005, 05:40:44 AM »
i wonder if the show's cancellation was abrupt?perhaps if they had known about it months in advance they would have returned to the present and tied up the lose ends.it does seem odd that they ended the show in another time period(and a p.t. one at that).

They did know months in advance that it was going off, and they deliberately chose to end it in 1841PT.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2005, 09:08:02 AM »
I would have preferred an ending in present time, but given that they had started 1841 PT, they needed to do something with it.  I think it would have been better had they not started that story at all (I guess they had to in order to give Jonathan Bramwell instead of Barnabas).  It did have one good aspect to its existence:

[spoiler]Lamar Trask from regular 1841 disappeared into PT and became a minor complication in their lives.  It was rather funny from both aspects.[/spoiler]

But, since they DID have the story started, it always seemed rather fitting that they returned to the present long enough for us to see that all was well and then went back to tie up the loose ends of the PT story - the only "other time" story without a present day character's presence.

Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2005, 02:14:28 AM »
AMANDA HARRIS and that everyone thought she was so pretty UGH!
Gregory was really in hell stuck with her picture for all time!

also adam!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2005, 06:22:42 PM »
It's possible that I never saw Lamar in his final absurd moments back then, transitioning his bad self between our plain old regular time, and that "parallel time"---but, his transition between regular 1840 and parallel 1841 was magical.     One moment, he's contending with being about to die, the next, he's contending with some alternate universe...JUST BECAUSE HE WALKED INTO SOME TINY LITTLE ROOM IN COLLINWOOD!!!

[spoiler]Then, he dies.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2005, 05:42:10 AM »
also adam!

Lots of folks seem to dislike the Adam storyline.  Why is that?  I kind of liked that storyline.  It wasn't my favorite, but it had lots of great moments.  I truly pitied Adam.  Robert Rodan did an excellent job of playing the chidlike, misunderstood Frankenstenian "outsider" qualities in the character IMO.  Marie Wallace also did a great job playing the evil and nasty Eve.

Interestingly, two of the most disliked storylies among fans are the Adam and Leviathan storylines.  Both of these followed the immensely popular 1795 and 1897 stories.  These two followup stories had some big shoes to fill and seem to have left many disappointed.  I guess it's kind of how a sequel to a great movie might be pretty good or ok, but rarely equals of surpasses the greatness of the first film.

The first time I watched the series as a youngster and as a teen (from Barnabas' intro up until 1/2 way through 1970 PT) I wasn't fully aware of fandom (I discovered DS fandom at some point while channel 58 in Cape Cod was running the sydicated episodes).  I really enjoyed all of the series I had seen up until that point, and once I started getting the 'zines (and nowadays, especially on the internet), I was pretty surprised to find so many hated the Adam and Leviathan stories.

Now that I've seen the whole series (except for some parts of Pre-Barnabas which I'm just getting to now), I'd say the low point for me was probably 1841PT.  I certianly didn't hate it and I thought the Lottery storyline was pretty darn twisted and cool.  It was just that it seemed more like a DS "spinoff" since all the main characters were left in Real Time and we wound up watching and trying to connect to these parallel characters without an anchor to real time (as we had with Barnabas, and later Julia, in 1970PT).  It was DS though, so IMO, it was still good stuff nontheless.   :)

~Penny Dreadful~ 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2005, 06:47:36 AM »
Lots of folks seem to dislike the Adam storyline.  Why is that?  I kind of liked that storyline.  It wasn't my favorite, but it had lots of great moments.  I truly pitied Adam.  Robert Rodan did an excellent job of playing the chidlike, misunderstood Frankenstenian "outsider" qualities in the character IMO.  Marie Wallace also did a great job playing the evil and nasty Eve.

I liked the beginning of Adam.  It seemed to have lots of possibilities as he began learning things, and given the way he was being treated.  His early relationship with Carolyn and especially the developments once Stokes became involved with him were very interesting and showed lots of promise.  But, once Nicholas Blair got involved and the way he changed the situation, it really ruined the whole thing.  And, while I liked Eve, once she was on the scene the story became quite repetitive.
Josette

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2005, 02:44:02 AM »
i feel like i've already written a book here about why i dislike the adam storyline(i'm sure some of you feel that way as well ;)).

aside from being campy the darn thing goes on and on!if it had been a 12 week story arc(like some others)it would have been a minor annoyance but it lasts for nearly a year!
aside from that i guess that my biggest problem with it is this.during the show's first year and a half it establishes a core group of characters.in a remarkable bit of storytelling this entire cast portrays different people living in a different time(1795).when the story returns to the present adam and an ever increasing array of supernatural characters relegate the main cast to the sidelines and they are often given weak storylines,usually portrayed in a victimized mode.even barnabas plays second-banana throughout much of the story.being especially fond of vicki and elizabeth i felt that they suffered worse during this time than others.

once the story is over the show begins to yo-yo back and forth in time with increasing regularity so one sort of loses sense of who these original people were.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2005, 03:11:13 AM »
I agree completely with mostly everything you said, and that's why I loathe the Adam storyline. It's funny because when I first watched it, I didn't really hate it, I just didn't care for it. I suppose when I went back and watched the earlier storylines they cemented my intense dislike of it.

It was with Adam that the show strayed too far from the Collins family and the core characters. I didn't even care for Barnabas during that time and he's my favorite character. When my favorite character drives me crazy that's a good indication of how very little I like what I'm watching. ;)  It's a crime what they did to Victoria and how they misused the Collins family like Elizabeth, Roger...and Willie. Definitely Willie. I didn't care about Adam, or Eve, or Nicholas. Too many supernatural characters that were all camp instead of three demensional. IMHO.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2005, 03:25:34 AM »
I agree completely with mostly everything you said, and that's why I loathe the Adam storyline...........
.......It's a crime what they did to Victoria and how they misused the Collins family like Elizabeth, Roger, and Willie. Definitely Willie.

Well, yes.  But John Karlen probably had more fun playing Willie during THAT segment than any other.  The whole "Willie babysits Adam" thing was hilarious!!  I'll bet he routinely fell on the floor laughing when the tape stopped rolling.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas