Author Topic: OT - New Version of "Salem's Lot"  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT - New Version of "Salem's Lot"
« on: February 13, 2004, 07:43:56 AM »
I did a quick search and didn't find that anyone else had posted this, so ...

While missing Dark Shadows' daily airing and while waiting for a possible SoapNet run -- and the hoped-for WB series -- vampire fans can also look forward to TNT's remake of Stephen King's "Salem's Lot."  It's supposed to air in June.

I enjoyed the original miniseries of Salem's Lot enough to begin reading the book (which I got about a third of the way through before I had to set it down and never got back to it).  Apparently the vampire character in the book was presented in a much more human but subtly menacing way than the cheap-shock monster of the miniseries (which I found almost unintentionally humorous looking).  The new version, running about the same length (three hours plus commercials) is supposed to follow the book much more closely, especially in the way the vampire is portrayed.

I rather liked David Soul as the writer in the original.  In the new version the character is played by Rob Lowe.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:OT - New Version of "Salem's Lot"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 11:17:22 AM »
I read the book before I saw the 1979 miniseries. I loved the book - hated the miniseries. So, IMO, this remake could only be an improvement - particularly because it will supposedly stick closer to the book.

I felt the same way with The Shining. I loved the book - but I hate the 1980 Jack Nicholson/Shelley Duval(who was woefully miscast) movie version. The 1997 Steven Weber/Rebecca DeMornay miniseries was much more faithful to the book, and IMO, more satisfying.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 01:36:39 PM »
Stephen King stated that the one book who always wanted to write but was not able to do so was a sequel to 'Salem's Lot.  He said that he got the very beginning down in his mind:  years after what happened, the priest who tried to battle the vampire and lost was living in Los Angeles or some-such-west-coast place, working in a homeless shelter, keeping what he experienced a secret because of the shame.  While he's attending a bum who's dying, the bum tells him:  "It's not over yet in 'Salem's Lot.  You have to go back there."  But King stated from that point on, he has perpetual writer's block and cannot come up with the rest of the story.  He hoped that someday he would.

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 05:01:09 AM »
I have a certain fondness for the original Salem's Lot miniseries; there's something about its combination of intensely eerie atmosphere and (inadvertant) silliness that just grabs me. James Mason is great, appearing to play the bad Mr. Straker with sly humor. David Soul is pretty good, too (though I was no fan of Starsky & Hutch by a long shot); believably intense, fairly likeable character. Lew Ayres, Ed Flanders, and Geoffrey Lewis are all good, too. And hoo-boy.... Bonny Bedelia. I'll say it again -- hoo boy!

But that Lance whatsit, the omnipresent 70s kid, is just vomitous. Seeing his face used to make me want to go kick an inanimate object several times.

The Nosferatu-style vampire didn't strike me particularly negatively, and the scene of him coming through the kitchen window of the kid's house, ending up a black lump on the floor and slowly transforming into the Big Ugly was great. But it would be cool to see Mr. Barlow rendered more closely to the book--which I started reading many years ago but for one reason or another didn't get to finish; will have to pick it up again one of these days.

That TV miniseries of The Shining was pretty good, yet it didn't really stick with me, not like the original movie. Way back when, I liked the Kubrick movie as a movie; not necessarily as an adaptation of King's book. However, the last couple of times I saw it, despite my appreciation for Jack Nicholson as Torrance, I found it quite boring. The kid in it is another one I wouldn't mind bouncing off a couple of walls.

--Mark

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 08:03:08 PM »
But that Lance whatsit, the omnipresent 70s kid, is just vomitous. Seeing his face used to make me want to go kick an inanimate object several times.

lolololol

Lance Kerwin (goes with Leif Garrett, Clark Brandon and Willie Ames).

--Patti...a youth of the '70s...
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 04:28:49 AM »
Remember Kerwin's James at 15?  Or was it 16?  Well, it was one and then when he got a year older they changed it to another.  Anyway, the pilot made-for-TV movie starred Kate Jackson in the leading adult part.

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 02:55:44 PM »
I have to say the original SL movie creeped me OUT and still does.  I did read The Shining after hearing how disappointed King was with the film adaptation.  Perhaps I should do it with SL but i was. . as i said onto a 20+ year creeo OUT.  But i finally got over The Exorist .. maybe it's time  now for this one too.  I did like David Soul as the writer and James Mason was understatedly creepy.

And James was 15 then 16 . .they just altered the name of the series i think.  Now he'd be what James at 43 (10 months til 44).

BTW-Patti did you always have that avatar or a recent switch. . . ??  I think its time again (with all the newbies) for the GREAT AVATAR Coundown. . who is the TOP 5 PICKS these days??
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 03:05:47 PM »
Anyway, the pilot made-for-TV movie starred Kate Jackson in the leading adult part.

And she was nominated for an Emmy for her performance...