Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0828  (Read 1848 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0828
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:48:29 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0828
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »
Unfortuntely Aristede kills King Johnny and Petofi keeps the hand.  I'm not sure I care for the Petofi storyline.  It seems to have come out of nowhere.  Why does he want to harm the Collins famiy?  If they had indicated that he wanted to inhabit Collinwood for some reason or he had been injured by the family in some way, it might make sense.   His desire now to get Barnabas has a reasoning behind it now that he has learned Barnabas sent the gypsy to his lair.  
David is covered by the afghan and recognizes Cassandra.  Will this have any consequences?
Petofi's line, "You, May start digging. Aristede," was entertaining.  
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »
Petofi's manufactured motivations are a problem.  It's the kind of problem that DS is littered with, and we have to find our own ways of putting them out of our minds, I suppose.   Petofi is such a great character that it's worth the effort.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »
Petofi wants to go the future to escape from the gypsies, and since Barnabas has refused to take him, Petofi is ready to hurt, even kill the Collins family if Barnabas doesn't give him what he wants. Petofi is like any evil schemer, (except Petofi has more powers at his command), he's willing to hurt innocent people if he doesn't get his way.

Yes, it's too bad that Aristede stopped King Johnny, but admit it, we all had to have known it wasn't going to be that easy for our heroes to be rid of Petofi.

As much as I hate the guy, though, he is fascinating to watch, a great villain.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:10:46 AM »
Petofi and The Hand are ground zero DS for me.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
Major Milestones: [milestone]
1. Aristede killed King Johnny just before he was going to cut off Count Petofi's hand with the Golden Scimitar. [whew]
2. Before King Johnny died, he told Count Petofi and Aristede that in 9 days, his spirit would appear to another Gypsy who could kill Count Petofi. KJ also cursed Aristede.
3. "David" told Quentin how they would meet in 1969. Also, "David" recognized Angelique as Cassandra.
4. After he buried King Johnny in an unmarked grave, Aristede was unable to find the Golden Scimitar - it disappeared.
5. Angelique battled Count Petofi. She tried to remove CP's spell and make Jamison himself again (and Edward's spell, too).
6. Angelique made a deal with Quentin that they would get married, regardless of whether her attempt to remove Count Petofi's spells against Jamison and Edward succeeded.

I love the confrontation between Angelique and Count Petofi. She put up a good fight against him. I love her power and her not taking any guff from anybody! [ghost_wink]

I loved it when Angelique was helping Jamison. It was exciting to watch her keep asking him who he was, knowing that Count Petofi was fighting her. [shkdg]

Poor Quentin was shocked at what he heard from "David" about what happened in 1969, particularly when he heard that Beth was there, too. [ghost_shocked]

It was really spooky to see King Johnny's eyes wide open after he died. I don't think Aristede or Count Petofi bothered to close them.  [ghost_rolleyes]

As much as I hate Count Petofi, I was relieved when Aristede killed King Johnny. But I was happy to hear that some unknown Gypsy would soon be after him again!  [ghost_undecided]

Excellent episode! Great acting by all! [clap2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »
What an enjoyably high level of violence and mayhem we had on this daytime soap...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 08:22:37 PM »
Petofi's enemy is dispatched at the last possible moment, and we get fine performances as Angelique ignores Petofi's threats and Quentin reacts to learning that his body will be sealed inside his room-- all in one ep!

Angelique attempts to remove the spell on Jamison with only her outside voice, and Petofi prepares to deal with Angelique using red candles and a West Indian parchment.  But isn't it Angelique whose spells often require props and ritual, whereas Petofi usually just holds up his hand and says what he wants?

Petofi senses that Angelique planned to mess with the spells he has in place-- even before she has begun!-- and Angelique can sense Petofi's presence at Collinwood (or did he summon her?).  I can't decide who is the more powerful of the two at this point.  Both are at their height of their powers, yet each is vulnerable in some way.

Petofi wants to go the future to escape from the gypsies, and since Barnabas has refused to take him, Petofi is ready to hurt, even kill the Collins family if Barnabas doesn't give him what he wants. Petofi is like any evil schemer, (except Petofi has more powers at his command), he's willing to hurt innocent people if he doesn't get his way.
Well said!

But (no spoilers) if Angelique is successful at removing Petofi's spells, thus preventing Jamison's death, Petofi can kill the kid in a myriad of other ways.  And do something else to Edward.  So why should he need to stop her?  Ego?  Sexism?  Bad writing?

Aristede:  "Are you all right?"
Petofi:  "I am now, thanks to your providential right."
I thought the only god Petofi acknowledged was Petofi.

Aristede:  "King Johnny Romano is now sovereign of the worms."
lol

Why bother to check the top of the tall cabinet for the golden scimitar?  Who the hell would put it up there?  It's not like their housekeeper dropped by to tidy up while they were out burying Johnny and decided hmm, it looks sharp so I'll hide it from the boys just as soon as I get that nasty red stain off the area rug.  [hall2_wink]  Couldn't we have figured out that Johnny's spirit returned for it without having Petofi spell it out for us?

Istvan and Johnny are now dead as a result of Barnabas' actions in 1897.  Surely, in the original timeline they had some impact on future events somewhere?

Admin note:  Please do not repeat verbatim what someone else has already posted unless you're adding to it.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
Petofi's got nine days of freedom - nine days in which he doesn't have to worry about any gypsy coming along and killing him out of the blue.  And he's not taking any advantage of them - no celebrations, no nothing.  Very silly of him.

I liked Aristede's complaints about burying people.  A-a-a-ah!  When the undertaking duty's to be done - to be done - a gravedigger's lot is not a happy one - happy one.  (See The Pirates of Penzance, Act II, for the correct words to the song.)

Why bother to check the top of the tall cabinet for the golden scimitar?
In Aristede's position, I would have checked the top of the cabinet, too.  When something's lost, it's unreasonable to assume that it's in a reasonable place.

The scene between Quentin and Jamison/David seemed very real.  Quentin was worried, Jamison/David was fretful, the afghan was crumpled, and the lines came easily.

Petofi was quite open about inviting Quentin to come over the side of evil today, and that, for me, answers any questions as to his motivations.  I don't entirely understand it, because I've never understood the joy of being mean simply for the sake of being mean - but that's how Petofi is.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 11:02:31 PM »
Does anyone think that Quentin was tempted to take up Petofi's offer to join his side? I mean, Petofi was basically telling him not to give a damn anymore about what happens to Jamison and Edward. I can't believe that Petofi actually thought he could convince Quentin to stop caring about Jamison's fate. The boy IS the one person that Quentin really cares for. Petofi knows it. Did he really expect Quentin to just shrug off his affection for his nephew? Even though Quentin is still somewhat cursed at this point, and really desperate for a cure, I just can't see him turn his back on Jamison. And even though he and Edward are far from close, I don't think he would have turned his back on him either.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
I don't think Quentin was tempted by Petofi, but mainly because Petofi did not make the temptation sound very tempting.  I can imagine Petofi thinking, however that Quentin might well decide to stop caring about Jamison.  After Petofi found his unicorn dead, he may have decided that love was never worth the pain that it caused, and he might expect that Quentin, being unsentimental, would come to the same conclusion.

I did wonder why Petofi was even trying to tempt Quentin.  What would he if done if Quentin had said yes?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 06:58:34 AM »
They could have both founded the Collinsport Clubhouse of Evil, with a secret handshake to get in, etc...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
Handshake?  Sounds like Russian roulette.  Heads you shake Quentin's hand, tails you shake Petofi's hand.