Author Topic: DS Actors on TCM tonight  (Read 1713 times)

David

DS Actors on TCM tonight
« on: November 06, 2006, 10:50:36 PM »
The musical 1776 airs on TCM toniggt, 5PM West Coast feed, 8PM East Coat feed (check your local listings before
recording)

Virginia Vestoff, David Ford & Emory Bass all repeat their Broadway roles in the film.

David

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS Actors on TCM tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:57:46 PM »
Has anybody managed to spot Daniel Keyes in 1776?  He's listed in the credits, and according to IMDB, the part he played was Josiah Bartlett of New Hampshire, but so far I haven't been able to recognize him in the movie.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
David,  Thank you so much for the reminder.  My husbands has been trying to rent this but nobody has it.  Wow, can Ms Vestoff belt out a song.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

David

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:06:06 PM »
VV had quite a set of pipes~~much of her career was in Broadway musicals.
Check out Inernet Broadway Data Base~~www.ibdb.com~~
for a complete list of her credits.
Many of her cast albums are still available.
Virgnia also had a nice role in the 1978 film A Wedding,
which often airs on Fox Movie Channel.

RE: Daniel Keyes: he's not listed in the Broadway Data Base listing for 1776.
The film was said to have been made with the original Broadway cast completely intact, so he may not be in the film.

David

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:07:46 AM »
It's in the movie that Daniel Keyes's name is listed - ending credits, I think, a list of actors without naming their roles - so I think he's in it.   I watched the movie again after I had consulted IMDB to determine his role, and never got a good look at the New Hampshire rep, even during the signing of the Declaration.  I saw the show once at the Vokes Theater in Wayland, Massachusetts, but alas, that was before I was wondering about either Daniel Keyes or New Hampshire, so I have no memory of whether New Hampshire is as shamefully neglected in the show as it is in the movie.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the most pathetically trivial note I have ever posted.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 02:50:19 AM »
Keyes is in the movie.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of a scene where he's prominent, but once I see the movie again, I'll let you know where to look.

Incidentally, for years 1776 was only broadcast in an edited form (with most of Virginia Vestoff's scenes, as well as the "Cool, Considerate Men" number cut).  It's possible that New Hampshire was also edited out of this version; if so, and that was the only form of the movie you've seen, then you would have missed him.  Fortunately, 1776 is available complete and uncut on DVD.

ProfStokes

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 06:19:09 AM »
I have the DVD (love Cool, Considerate Men, even though David Ford's one line of singing clearly got dubbed), and New Hampshire is still practically invisible.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
This is just a note, but Blythe Danner plays Thomas Jefferson's wife and her daughter,Gwyneth Paltrow, in 'Jefferson in Paris' plays Thomas Jefferson's daughter.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 07:23:57 PM »
The cast listing for 1776 (the movie) erroneously links Daniel Keyes to the author with the same name who wrote "Flowers for Algernon," which demonstrates the spotty fact-checking that occurs on sites such as this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1776_(musical)

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 02:19:12 AM »
RE: Daniel Keyes: he's not listed in the Broadway Data Base listing for 1776.
The film was said to have been made with the original Broadway cast completely intact, so he may not be in the film.

I don't doubt that, aside from obvious personnel like Daniels, Vestoff, Ford, and Ken Howard, most of the film cast members HAD played in "1776" at some time between the musical's debut several years earlier and the casting of the movie--- however some of the actors were NOT in the FIRST original cast.  (And as for Blythe Danner--- I wonder about that, doesn't sound like the way she would sing if she ever sang.   The voice sounded very dubbed.  Too bad they did not,or could not, get Betty Buckley.)   There are some well-known and regarded names from the stage that I recognize from other musicals of which I own the original vinyl recordings (many of which were Mother's, but she gave me "1776" as a Christmas present in 1969.)

So I went on a scavenger hunt around my lair to find the old record and its worn jacket, and according to the ORIGINAL original cast list as of March 1969, Daniel Keyes is NOT listed in any capacity, though it's certainly possible he came in during a later production.  Emory Bass did reprise his relatively minor role in the movie.
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

David

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 07:24:56 AM »
I just remembered that Vestoff is also in the 1973 film Such Good Friends, one of Otto Preminger's last.

David

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 08:14:05 PM »
Anyone worried about NH's Josiah Bartlet being under-represented onscreen can watch his descendant as President on The West Wing.  But then, toward the end, that Josiah Bartlet was also very absent, on his own program.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor