Author Topic: Episodes that epitomize DS?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Episodes that epitomize DS?
« on: April 16, 2006, 05:10:57 AM »
A friend wants me to show a few episodes of DS, and I'm trying to think of 2 or 3 that really show how good DS can be -

Any suggestions?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Re: Episodes that epitomize DS?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 05:47:08 AM »
I don't have the numbers handy - [spoiler]in 1967, when Barnabas is considering killing Burke Devlin and Willie tries to talk him out of it.  I remember the whole episode having particular ambience, from opening voice over to end.  Also, the first episode in 1897, where we meet Magda and Sandor, etc. is a good one.   The showdown between Tom Jennings and Barnabas in Tom's crypt is also a great episode from '68. Lastly, several episodes concerning Evan Hanley trying to get the hand, but instead having his face rearranged by it in 1897.  Oh!  Magda's cursing of Quentin is a good episode as well.[/spoiler]  Hope this helps!

Petofi

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 07:07:42 AM »
Years ago when I worked in a video store (that carried only two MPI volumes of DS), I'd bring my own "Dark Shadows" tapes in and have them playing in the background when customers came in to browse.
The episode that kept one customer glued to the set for 22 minutes was from the Dream Curse storyline, where Barnabas finally has the dream... and Julia gives Cassandra a piece of her mind (with the open palm of her hand). The acting, direction and suspense were in top form - though a recent thread brought up Vicki's obtuseness in this very episode. Still, a classic.
The Tom Jennings/Barnabas showdown, as previously mentioned, is also a crowd pleaser...

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 01:47:27 PM »
I would recommend two episodes that really drew me in. One is MPI tape Vol. 3 Black and white photography - when Maine waitress Maggie Evans is being stalked by vampire Barnabas Collins.  One of the early Barnie episodes where "mysterious" (when those bites marks were still considered mysterious) puncture wounds are found on Maggie's neck and suffering from a severe loss of blood she's rushed to the hospital and appears dead but her body is missing. Everyone is so cool, KLS is very appealing as the bewildered but changing Maggie, David Ford is fantastic as her worried father trying to do what's best to save her, this episode has wonderful Robert Gerringer as the doctor trying to get to the bottom of it all. Just all around creepy and semi-realistic with normal Maine folks faced with the supernatural and not knowing what to do.

And my total favorite - MPI tape Vol. 34 1795 where Barnabas starts to suspect his wife Angelique is a witch and rushes around like crazy trying to find out. Some fantastic confrontations between Barnabas and Angelique, Barnabas and Ben Stokes and Barnabas and Josette (sigh). Very good acting, writing, set designs at their gothic best. Frid is in top form and appears to remember all of this lines (who wouldn't? I'm sure the beauty of them inspired him).

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 03:07:39 PM »
I don't know the number, but one that I found quite riveting when I first started watching DS was the one where Barnabas recounts the legend of Josette to Vicki and Carolyn. Thunder in the background and the power goes out.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »
I don't know the number, but one that I found quite riveting when I first started watching DS was the one where Barnabas recounts the legend of Josette to Vicki and Carolyn. Thunder in the background and the power goes out.

I would agree w/the above, that was a FANTASTIC scene and ol' Jon didn't bloop once!  Very creepy.  I also reccommend [spoiler]the scenes where Maggie has been kidnapped by Barnabas and held captive at the Old House.[/spoiler]  Classic creepiness!  The scene from 1897 when [spoiler]Barnabas and Angelique first meet in the Tower Room, the scene in 1840 where Angie forces Barny to drop Roxanne or she'll finishes her off (and the subsequent "introduction" of Angie as his wife to Rox)[/spoiler] and ANYTHING from 1795 (except the end where [spoiler]they focus too much on Nathan and Millicent.[/spoiler]
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 05:55:16 PM »

I love that episode. That scene is mesmerizing.

I love the B/W episodes for the gothic atmosphere. Some others that  immediately come to mind - Barnabas's costume party and when Victoria spends the night at the Old House & Barnabas is unable to bite her. Also Maggie's stay at the Old House.  For a bit of a different focus, I love Elizabeth's almost wedding to Jason McGuire and what happens to Jason afterwards.  ;)

I also agree with BuzzH - Many scenes during 1795 with the exception of Nathan & Milicent (and I would add Victoria/Peter and the trial). 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
i think vhs volume #15 is a great way to introduce new viewers to the show.it features the episode petofi mentioned when barnabas was planning to kill burke and willie talks him out of it.he has some great scenes with dr.hoffman here and the ghost of sarah collins is making her presence known and vicki and burke announce thier engagement and that sets off a whole chain of events.

the episode that keeps getting mentioned where barnabas tells vicki and carolyn the story of josette is awsome as well.even though the character was still essentially "evil" here it's the first time we see the conflicted nature that ultimately will define him.

i wouldn't recomend any of the time travel episodes to a first time viewer.as good as they may be it might be confusing.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
I think I should probably narrow it down to just one color episode and one B&W episode. Leave'em wanting more, you know?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

David

Show SCARY Episodes
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 03:53:44 AM »
These will hook them:

Barnabas telling VW & Carolyn about Jossette's death.

Barnabas punishing Maggie by putting her in the coffin.

Barnabas' first night as a vampire.

The actual death of Josette.

Josette rising from her grave.

Barnabas walling up the 1795 Trask.

The Bathia Mapes episodes.

Barnabas VS Tom Jennings, Vampire.

Chris Jennings begs Joe to leave his room as the moon rises.

Mad Joe dreaming about encounters with Tom the Vampire & Chris the Werewolf.

The last episode featuring Quentin's ghost, when we first see the I Ching.

Mad Jenny pulls knife on Judith.

Judith haunted by Minerva.

A few good Petofi episodes.

All of 1995.

The scary stuff will always impress them.

David

Offline nedstuart

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 08:23:54 PM »
I would say the first episode of DS even though it is not supernatural in nature the tone of the show is awsome. I love the banter between Joan Bennett & Louis Edmonds in this episode and in the entire run of DS. Also, compilation's are great if you want to get different storylines and tones of DS into a certain amount of time as well.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 06:55:41 PM »
                                SPOILER ALERT (do not read if you are watching the show for the first time)
[spoiler]1.The unchaining of Barnabas by Willie in 1967

2.Elizabeth finally telling everyone she killed Paul Stoddard instead of marrying Jason

3.Sarah finally appearing to Barnabas at the Old House

4.Angelique placing the vampire curse on Barnabas

5.Barnabas bricking up Reverend Trask

6.The very first appearance of the ghosts of Quentin Collins and Beth Chavez

7.Magda cursing Quentin and his male descendants as werewolves

8.The possession of Gerard Stiles by Judah Zachery[/spoiler]

I could give you much more examples of the episodes I think best epitomize DS but that would take a week!

But I especially think the top of my list is the best example of what made DS the start of something really great.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 01:42:39 AM »
I agree w/David about all of 1995. Even though it might take some explaining to people, and a slew of questions and answers, it still may be worth a shot.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 02:37:13 PM »
In a perfect world, the friend would know that Barnabas was a vampire, and nothing beyond that.  I'd play for him the episodes - 285 to 289, I think - from the first time Julia meets Barnabas to the "Good evening, Barnabas Collins" cliffhanger in Julia's bedroom, and then I'd take the tape or DVD out of the machine and say, "What happens next?"