Author Topic: Barnabas ring question  (Read 1705 times)

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Barnabas ring question
« on: March 07, 2003, 05:45:52 AM »
Hi folks-

Is there any distinguishing marks that identify the original timco barnabas ring from the mpi reissue?  I bought the timco version in 1995 and am hard pressed ??? to prove its bona fides aside from the fact that it was purchased a few years before the reissue was made.  I have never seen the reissue up close.  I know that the original ring had two band variants, one fancy, and one plain with a center groove through the band, as identified in Overstreet's ring guide of 1995.  I have the latter version.  Any ideas? Thanks! ;D ;D

Petofi

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re:Barnabas ring question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 12:23:00 PM »
No, there's no distinguishing marks on it, AFAIK.  Silly really, as I daresay some poor sod has paid over-the-odds at some point, thinking they were getting an original.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 04:23:42 PM »
Thanks, Stuart.  Which type band does it( the repro) have?

petofi

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2003, 12:26:01 AM »
I think I may have found an identifying feature of the repro ring as opposed to the original!  Help me if you can, folks.  The original ring has a black oval stone which is beveled up from the ring frame and flat on its top surface.  I recently saw a closeup photo of the repro ring, which appears to have a stone which is oval like the original, but totally rounded from the frame up, rather than beveled, then continues to be round on the front surface, rather than flatten.

Can anyone who has owned or at least handled the repro ring confirm or deny this?  It is fairly important, as I am looking to sell my original, and would like to reassure prospective buyers as to its authenticity.  Thanks!

Petofi

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 03:29:53 AM »
I bought the Barnabas ring from MPI about four years ago, so I assume it is the reproduction.

The stone is definitely a rounded, smooth oval -- not beveled (I don't think the one worn by Barnabas on the show was beveled, was it?).

The stone on mine unfortunately has a scratched area on it.  It was like that when I got it.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2003, 04:30:25 AM »
I bought the Barnabas ring from MPI about four years ago, so I assume it is the reproduction.
That is correct, Vlad!
The stone is definitely a rounded, smooth oval -- not beveled
That's great news, Vlad, as you are the second person I have spoken to that has confirmed this difference.  ;D
(I don't think the one worn by Barnabas on the show was beveled, was it?).
Actually it appears to be beveled in some closer up photos from the era in which the show initially ran.  For example, there is a poster in the Fall 1969 16 Spec magazine which seems to indicate the ring Frid wore had a bevel.  The way the ring catches the light in this and other photos strongly suggests this.  Anyone out there know for sure?

Anyway, much thanks for this confirmation, Vlad.  It means that there is at least one characteristic difference between the original and repro rings!  Hurrah for collectible integrity!  [hello]

Petofi

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 08:43:06 AM »
Dear Petofi,

I have an original ring (I got the fancy gold band which seems to be decorated with filigree-like ornaments of either flowers and leaves or bows and ribbons) and I also bought the MPI re-issue several years ago. There is a noticable difference, as you have mentioned. The original is indeed beveled to a point and then the plastic "stone" is flat. The re-issue "stone" is rounded, not flat.

Petofi, you have me looking more closely than I ever have at my ring. There is another easy-to-see difference between the two. Beneath both the original and re-issued rings, there are oval shaped holes that allow you to see the black "stone". These ovals are crossed by a horizontal gold bridge which appears to be soldered onto both versions. The bridge on the original is thicker than the re-issue and extends closer to the outer edges of the ring. (This bridge always bothered me as a teen because it prevented the ring from resting up against your finger.... it raised it about an eighth of an inch....NOT like Barnabas'!) Plus, the oval opening in the re-issue is larger than the opening of the original.

Also, more tellingly, this underside of the two versions of the rings has two very different patterns of, for lack of a better word, crosshatching. The original has very fine vertical lines that run the entire length of the ring (not being seen below the attached bridge). The re-issue has a different pattern of crosshatch, more like the feathers of a bird's wing.

And here is the thing I can't believe I'd overlooked on my original ring! One of the little round balls, the one closest to where the band attaches to the ring, is actually a tiny screw. It appears to be a phillips head screw. This really blew me away that I had never noticed it. Unless.... my original ring is not in the best of shape. I made the mistake of wearing it to my first DS conventions and after so many times of putting it on and off, it became worn. So, perhaps this is not actually a screw but a damaged ball? But, it sure looks like a tiny phillips head screw! Can anyone verify this on theirs?

A word of warning about wearing your rings. As I mentioned above, wearing the ring at the DS conventions was fun but it took a toll. Eventually, a crack developed in the pliable band. I stopped wearing it but eventually it broke. Someday I plan to have it repaired but in case some of you have been tempted to wear yours, be careful! (I've never worn the re-issue so I don't know if it's any stronger than the original or not.)  :D

SDP

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 04:07:16 PM »
SDP-

Your description is fantastic! Thanks for the wealth of comparative analysis.  It's good to know that there are real ways to tell these rings apart!  As for the little ball on the side, mine seems to just have a little ball there, no screw.  However, as I've stated before, mine is the "plain" band version, so who knows?  Thanks, Selby, for a great response!

Petofi (who always appreciates a "hand" in these matters.

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas ring question
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 03:02:39 AM »
Hey, folks -

I have some new material/questions to add to this post.  In the ensuing time that has passed since my last entry on this thread, I successfully sold my original ring on eBay.  Recently, I acquired another Barnabas ring which passes most of the qualifications  I know of being an original Timco Barnabas ring.  However, there is one difference.  The stone is not beveled and raised (as my last ring was), but a more or less flat stone, barely raised above the gold plated stone holder.  Anybody run into this particular variation?  Check out the photos I just took and see if you can help me.  Thanks, and happy holidays to all!

Petofi