Author Topic: What if Hoffman had been a dude?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
What if Hoffman had been a dude?
« on: August 01, 2002, 07:32:45 AM »
My obvious feelings aside. . i couldn't help but wonder what it would've been like had they cast a man as Dr. Hoffman ..can you imagine Barney, Willie and Julian doing all that they are now doing. . what would've been the 'emotional blackmail' Barnabas would've used against Julian?  And every day in and out. .watching three dudes tussel with this evil guy or that evil man.  .of course there would've been Angie trying to always get Julian to want her in order that he would betray Barnabas but I actually think.  .it might've been more than kinda boring. . .but then maybe it would've had a more Hogan's Hero's kinda style???   :P

p.s. where is Ben these days. . haven't seen him around here. .
Julia99

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
Re: What if Hoffman had been a dude?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 07:51:23 AM »
I think a character dynamic similar to the one we have now would have been near impossible.  Its pretty much understood that Dr. Hoffman was being brought on to off Barnabas (much like Guthrie did battle with Laura Collins)  and not for much else, so I don't think the show could have progressed the way it did with Hoffman as a guy.  The only reason it makes sense that Julia hangs around the Old House 24 hours a day (and to be fair it really doesn't make that much sense) is because she's got the hotts for Barn and because, "You have no friends Julia."  There would just not be an excuse for Julian to be a part of the show like our Dr. Hoffman is.  In the end I think we would have seen one of the two get killed off.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 08:03:35 AM »
If Dr. Hoffman had been written and cast as a male character, DS would not have ANY gay male fans...;)

Regards,

John

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 08:16:56 AM »
I just can't imagine the show without Julia and I don't think the show would be as interesting had she not played the part. It's funny how fate steps in at the last minute sometimes. I guess some things were just meant to be. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2002, 08:54:03 AM »
If Dr. Hoffman had been written and cast as a male character, DS would not have ANY gay male fans...;)

Regards,

John

And that explains me, how??  8)

I think we must start looking for our Mojito bar rendevous spot for July 2003 in NYC now . .perhaps somewhere near 56th & 7th avenue.. where Mrs. Hall lived.. in homage.
Julia99

Connie

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 10:04:09 AM »

Regards,

John

How come?  Are you saying Julia has a big gay male following?

Je ne comprend pas.   :)

-CLC

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2002, 04:54:19 PM »

And that explains me, how??  8)

I think we must start looking for our Mojito bar rendevous spot for July 2003 in NYC now . .perhaps somewhere near 56th & 7th avenue.. where Mrs. Hall lived.. in homage.

Sounds like fun J99 will be there!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 06:43:30 PM »

How come?  Are you saying Julia has a big gay male following?

Je ne comprend pas.   :)

-CLC

Connie, this is news to you?  YES . .Grayson Hall has a very strong gay male following.  .Bette, Joan . .Grayson .. go figure.??
Julia99

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2002, 09:47:09 PM »
My obvious feelings aside. . i couldn't help but wonder what it would've been like had they cast a man as Dr. Hoffman ..can you imagine Barney, Willie and Julian doing all that they are now doing. . what would've been the 'emotional blackmail' Barnabas would've used against Julian?  And every day in and out. .watching three dudes tussel with this evil guy or that evil man.  .of course there would've been Angie trying to always get Julian to want her in order that he would betray Barnabas but I actually think.  .it might've been more than kinda boring. . .but then maybe it would've had a more Hogan's Hero's kinda style???   :P

If Dr. Hoffman had been a man, he would have only lasted the 12 weeks originally slated for the character.  Barn. would have dispensed of him in record time.   ;)

MrsJ.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2002, 05:40:55 PM »
Julia actually WAS originally intended to be a male character, no?  At least I think I read that in the DS Almanac.  I'm glad they took the direction they did, because DS would NOT be DS without Grayson Hall!  

Joe   :)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2002, 07:36:33 PM »
In the Maggie Kidnapping story, Dr. Woodard refers to Dr. Hoffman as a man.  The intent was to have Hoffman discover Barnabas and Barnabas would eventually kill him (probably after his cure failed).  Burke and Dr. Woodard most likely would have staked Barnabas following that.  Perhaps, due to the appearance of Sarah, they originally intended Barnabas' spirit to reunite with Sarah and be at peace.

There are times where Burke is on to Barnabas (he sees him enter the old house at dawn and not leave, he hears the music box in relation to Maggie telling him about a "soft, tinkling sound" in her mind).  At this point, the Seaview Cottage plot is briefly introduced, which could have been a follow up story after Barnabas is killed.

When they had Grayson Hall cast as Julia Hoffman in place of the male Hoffman, it looks like they were going on as originally planned. When Willie is blamed for Maggie's kidnapping, the story change was probably made and the Seaview plot discarded as well as the death Of Dr. Hoffman (and probably Willie too).

They had to kill off Barnabas' protaganists (Burke and Dr. Woodard) for him to remain on the show.  A total reversal of what they originally intended.

A male Dr. Hoffman would either:

a.) Been an end to the Barnabas story

b.) have Barnabas still kill him and Barnabas would remain on the show...though alone with no one else to help him.  This may have led to the addition of yet another new character for him to play off against

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2002, 07:48:15 PM »
Since we are talking about the early kidnapping of Maggie storyline, let me just say that

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

Barnabas killing Dr. Woodard and involving Julia against her will stands out to me as one of the most horrifying moments of the DS series, and it is one of the reasons why I don't care for Barnabas as a character.  He was always self-involved and inconsiderate, but I think this action was the very ultimate example of his bad behavior.  Sure, I know this was during a time when they till planned to have him killed, but that episode bothers me to this day.  Okay, make-believe, vampire, yada yada but it still bugs me.   ::)

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2002, 09:47:23 PM »

Barnabas killing Dr. Woodard and involving Julia against her will stands out to me as one of the most horrifying moments of the DS series, and it is one of the reasons why I don't care for Barnabas as a character.  He was always self-involved and inconsiderate, but I think this action was the very ultimate example of his bad behavior.  Sure, I know this was during a time when they till planned to have him killed, but that episode bothers me to this day.  Okay, make-believe, vampire, yada yada but it still bugs me.   ::)

I agree with you about the Barnabas character.  But...what has always bugged me about this storyline was that Julia abandoned her everything...morals, ethics, hippocratic oath...to participate in the murder of a colleague.  It could be argued that Barnabas, being a vampire at that point, was suppose to be nasty, self absorbed, etc.  But Julia, although admittedly emotionally blackmailed by Barnabas, could have made another (albeit difficult) choice.  
And I understand what you mean, make-believe or not, it still bugs me.  It's--just--not--what--I--think--Julia would have done!

MrsJ.