Author Topic: SoapNet  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
SoapNet
« on: July 31, 2002, 09:38:52 PM »
Does anyone know if they'll be adding any new soaps to the line-up in the near future??? ?!? I wanna know.

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: SoapNet
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2002, 04:07:22 AM »
No new soaps or reruns of old soaps for at least a year or two. This was according to the recent April 2002 interview with the station program director, which was held on the Soapnet website. www.soapnet.com
They mentioned DARK SHADOWS as one show they really wanted to get when it becomes available. Santa Barbara and Search for Tomorrow were others that were mentioned, along with the classic reruns of their own ABC soaps.  The problem is they don't have the necessary funds to acquire these shows, which are very expensive considering the amount of episodes that are available.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2002, 04:47:43 AM »
Lately, they seem to be giving short shirft to their "classic" soaps. The most recent lineup change involved squeezing in another airing of current episodes of ABC soaps to the daily schedule.

The current ABC soaps air 3 times a day on SoapNet plus at least once in a weekend marathon.

In a recent article about the falling ratings of daytime soaps, someone associated with one of the ABC soaps complained that the multiple airings of their show on SoapNet were killing the ratings for the program when it aired on the network.

No idea if that particular opinion is common, has any merit, or will impact SoapNet programming, since their budget seems pretty tight.

There was a rumor circulating on the web a few months ago that SoapNet had acquired the broadcast rights to the 1991 DS series as part of a preliminary move to make a play for the original series when it comes up for grabs. Supposedly, the 91 series would become part of the weekend rotation on SoapNet, and they were also supposed to be adding Loving to their lineup.

However, that was all rumor, and there's probably little if any truth to it.  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2002, 05:15:59 AM »
Soapnet has been trying to get DS for a long time now.  The station programmer has admitted this in print on the SN website.  I believe someone there must be a closet fan!  That's probably why the recent appearance of the cast on the SoapTalk program. I didn't hear about  the rumor of Soapnet buying the '91 series as a play for the original one.  I don't see how that can be possible because the 91 series is owned by MGM, and  Worldvision owns the rights to the original series.  

As for the daytime ratings, they started dropping long before Soapnet started running the shows a dozen times a day.   With more choices via cable tv, it's going to get only worse in the next few years for the daytime producers.