Author Topic: The Beginning DVD Collections 5 & 6  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Beginning DVD Collections 5 & 6
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:12:25 AM »
SQUEEEE

The last two Beginning DVD sets are one their way!  I am soo stoked.  Anyone else who have theirs already have any opinions on them yet?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline scott

• View Profile
Re: The Beginning DVD Collections 5 & 6
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
I'm only on set 2...and loving it!

How were 3 and 4? have we moved on past the bleeder valve? [angel3a]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:54:41 PM »
Hee,  I am still on set 2 myself.  Vicki and Carolyn have just seen what looks looks like a body floating amongst the rocks at the bottom of Widow's Hill.

... Laura Palmer? [snow_grin]

The Pen was shown briefly a few episodes ago, though....
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 06:36:30 PM »
The Pen was shown briefly a few episodes ago, though....

Well, well - how exciting for you!! And no doubt shivers ran through your entire body the first time you spotted it.  [snow_wink]  [snow_cheesy]

There's absolutely nothing like your first time watching the drama of THE PEN saga unfold. So much mystery. So many twists and turns. And it will surely haunt you for the rest of your life. So much so that you'll be finding yourself eternally drawn to rewatch it over and over and over again.  [snow_laugh]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
yes mysterious,

i've been watching the 1991 version of the series and trying to figure out that it was missing and then it hit me...

it's the PEN PLOT than's missing.it's so amazingly fascinating and complex that i think they should have devoted at least a full season to it before moving on the the barnabas plot.

in fact if viewers in 1991 had had the opportunity to get caught in the PEN PLOT'S sticky web of intrigue no doubt the show would have been a phenomenon and cultural touch-point in a way similar to the whole "who shot j.r.?" drama on 'dallas' or "who killed laura palmer?" mystery on 'twin peaks'.dan curtis made a huge mistake not including this masterpiece of storytelling in the 91' version.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline PG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
I am new to the Forum; I was like millions of adolescents in the 1960's and 70's became a regular viewer at around the time of the Barnabas Collins appearance; I again started watching in the 1990's when the Sci-Fi Channel starting rebroadcasting the series.  The most neglected period has been the so-called "Early" pre-Barnabas episodes--and they are some of the best. Although Laura Collins death scene had poor special effects, she was very strong and effective in that role.  Only Dark Shadows buffs really know she was the first evil supernatural being on the show.

I know the least about the storylines after the first parallel time; frankly they seemed pretty confused and confusing from what i remember about them.   Unlike many DS fans, I do not consider the Leviathan storyline when the show jumped the shark.  It suffers from followi ng arguably the greatest storyline, 1897--not coincidentally Laura Collins makes a far too brief return; very few characters had the powers to challenge Barnabas and Angelique at the same time.  Count Petofi deserves a separate post from me--a great character and possibly the one with the most powers of any except 'Diabolos".

The series was not really appreciated properly in its time--but like its characters it has survived and prospered long after its contemporaries are long forgotten.

To my fellow DS fans I put out however a few discontents about themes that ran through much of the show as well as certain decisions about characters:

First, having reviewed the early episodes into the "Adam" storyline, I view Victoria Winters as the central character, as great as Barnabas, Angelique, and Quentin were; she represented the strength of humans beings against the forces of darkness; very unfortunate that Alexandra Moltke left the show--no doubt it was leading to the conclusion she was a Collins-probably Elizabeth and Paul's daughter; related mistake--not keeping the Burke Devlin character in some form--the good guys needed more  help in the Adam series--the heroes were stumbling over themselves and Nicholas Blair was almost all powerful--very bad writing series with a vampire as the protagonist and a storyline with vampires as Blair's personal servants--no tension or suspense here as no one had the powers or smarts to challenge Blair-Prof. Stokes was playing really both sides by helping Adam.

Second, "underpowering" Barnabas-he lost or was ineffective in throwdows with Angelique, Quentin as a zombie, the Leviathan people, and only beat the werewolf because of the silver cane--yet he at times shows many (not all) of the powers of Count Dracula--a mistake--e.g. the episode where he reawakens before Angelique can stake him and she is terrified of him-a very good and memorable episode.

The greatest episodes :  my first nomination: the seance when Vicky channels Josette in French; great acting by all esp. AM

More to come; thx and glad to be aboard; please feel free to comment or ask questions.

Peace.

PG

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 07:01:48 PM »
it's the PEN PLOT than's missing.it's so amazingly fascinating and complex that i think they should have devoted at least a full season to it before moving on the the barnabas plot.

in fact if viewers in 1991 had had the opportunity to get caught in the PEN PLOT'S sticky web of intrigue no doubt the show would have been a phenomenon and cultural touch-point in a way similar to the whole "who shot j.r.?" drama on 'dallas' or "who killed laura palmer?" mystery on 'twin peaks'.dan curtis made a huge mistake not including this masterpiece of storytelling in the 91' version.

As much as I really enjoy the '91 series, I'm afraid I have to agree. Let's just hope that the shockingly egregious oversight will be corrected and THE PEN plot will somehow be incorporated into the Depp DS film.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 07:03:18 PM »
Welcome aboard, PG! It's nice to see you jumping right in.  [snow_smiley]

Offline PG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »
Thank you; I have been looking for a place to exchange opinions with fellow fans; DS is really the kind of show that bears rewatching--sometimes the little details are hard to follow or remember, esp. from 40 years ago!  DS suffered from not enough action--although modern series like Buffy were like vampires plus kung fu--never made sense to me; as Karl Kolchak once said: this is not kung fu or chow mein! This was a female vampire!

Although I count the character of VW as the essential one in the show, I should say that Lara Parker is the greatest horror actress in thie history of televison, bar nobody; including the legedary Barabara Steele who played Dr. Hoffman in the 1991 remake; LP's eyes were absolutely astonishing and how such a lovely charming woman could turn so cruel and hard in a second was terrifying.  Believe me; maybe Johnny Depp can be a great Barnabas but whoever he gets for Angelique will be a second banana.

Thx.

Bob

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:32:29 PM »
Welcome, PG!