Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1234  (Read 1189 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1234
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1234
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:56:34 AM »
GH's voiceover tells us we're in 1841--when did that happen? Julia is very busy in this episode!

Julia interrupts Carrie's vision, but bravo to Melanie for developing even more spine!

So why doesn't PT Flora leave the house? Did she also bury a body in the basement? That might have been an interesting plot line. I love what she tells Julia when she comes back from the Old House: I felt it was My Duty to go to the Old House and see Daphne. After all, she is now a member of The Family. (I can't help it, she talks in capital letters!)

It's not very nice of Julia to threaten Carrie with blackmail. The identity of Melanie's mother must be one heck of a secret.

Always a treat to see Pennock doing insane Gabriel. Poor Flora will never know how close history came to repeating itself. In PT, apparently the Tower Room is called the North Tower. Shades of "A Tale of Two Cities"!

Too tired to comment any further tonight. Over to you, Lydia!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:59:56 AM »
... or over to me....   Yes DL, this is the first mention of 1841 (except for Daphne's tombstone, which was in a vision of the future) that I know of, and I've been listening for it.   Before this viewing, I was convinced that 1841 was mentioned in RT before they even switched to PT, but I didn't hear that this time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »

Magnus, what interested me was that there was no mention of this being parallel time.  And I'll be listening for that.

So why doesn't PT Flora leave the house?
Were we told that?  I didn't hear it.  If it's the case, then perhaps Flora just didn't want to have to deal with anybody looking at her and wondering about her husband and all the rumors about the Collinses.

Morgan was uncharacteristically low-key today.  I suspect that Morgan's lines were intended for Quentin, but that when David Selby fell victim to appendicitis, Quentin's lines were given to Morgan.

Only a besotted mother could believe that 24 hours was enough time for Gabriel to prove his sanity.  But why did all of them let Julia go alone to bring the bad news to Gabriel?  Maybe they're all so used to her acting tough that they forget that she has no superpowers.

Gotta feel sorry for Carrie.  She's still very young.  Her father should protect her more.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
Magnus, what interested me was that there was no mention of this being parallel time.  And I'll be listening for that.

If I remember, they actually stopped mentioning parallel time as the show drew to its close.

So why doesn't PT Flora leave the house?
Were we told that?  I didn't hear it.  If it's the case, then perhaps Flora just didn't want to have to deal with anybody looking at her and wondering about her husband and all the rumors about the Collinses.

When Julia sees Flora return from visiting Daphne and hang up her cloak, she actually tells her, You haven’t left the house in years! But she's forgetting Justin’s funeral and Flora’s nearly fatal visit to the gazebo to meet Gabriel. When Flora leaves the house, bad things tend to happen, so no wonder she stays at home. But I suppose you're right, too, that the Mistress of Collinwood wouldn't want to be the subject of stares and gossip by the lowly villagers.

Interesting thought about Morgan getting Quentin's lines after DS had to get his appendix out. It would have been more plausible for the ex-con Quentin to tell Gabriel he understood about being locked up and bored.

Too bad Julia doesn't have superpowers--or eyes in the back of her head!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:14:09 AM »
It would have been more plausible for the ex-con Quentin to tell Gabriel he understood about being locked up and bored.
Oh, gosh, I heard that and it just didn't click.  I'd say that's as much proof as we'll get, in the absence of hospital records.

When Julia sees Flora return from visiting Daphne and hang up her cloak, she actually tells her, You haven’t left the house in years!
The Robservations concur with me that what Julia said was that Flora hadn't been to the Old House in years.  And that in itself is sort of interesting, in view of the fact that when Josette returned from a visit to Boston, Bramwell came over to Collinwood to inform Flora.  I think maybe Josette had done some errand for Flora in Boston.  Anyway, my impression then was that Flora was on good enough terms with Josette to go visit her at the Old House rather than waiting for Josette to come pay her respects.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »
Magnus, what interested me was that there was no mention of this being parallel time.  And I'll be listening for that.

I actually wrote "Started leaving out mention of PT." in my notes, but failed to post this.   I'll be surprised if PT is ever mentioned again.  I've always thought that they decided this would be less confusing for viewers. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »
Lydia, I stand corrected. Flora's outings have been even more circumscribed than I thought if she didn't even walk down the hill to the Old House every so often.

It was probably very smart of the ex-con Quentin not to tell Gabriel about any knife fights he had while he was in jail.  [ghost_rolleyes]