Author Topic: DVD Long-Term Availability  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DVD Long-Term Availability
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:14:09 AM »
I hope to eventually have the entire DS series on DVD, but so far have only been able to purchase a few of the sets (usually when there's a sale).

Knowing that videos and DVDs frequently go out of print, I am concerned about the long-term availability of MPI's DVD sets.  MPI was great as far as the VHS tapes were concerned as they seemed to have an endless supply.  (Had I known then about the emerging DVD market, I wouldn't have sunk so much money into the VHS format.)

Has anyone heard if MPI will continue to keep the entire series available - and for how long?  It could be many years, maybe decades, before I could hope to purchase all of them.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

David

Re: DVD Long-Term Availability
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »
MPI released it's first DS VHS tape in 1989. Every single volume & special edition remained in print for over a decade, until DVD rendered VHS obsolete.

DS has been a BIG seller for MPI.
Don't worry.

David

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
I've collecected them all, it took me about a year (and alot of money!!!!)   but when they weren't at the stores (i.e. Borders, J&R) i would ask them to order.  also, i bought out of sequence, when they were readily available.  amazon is good for them as well as Barnes & Noble. 

I am now in the process of collecting the beginning series. 

what i cannot seem to find is HODS and NODS on video.   (not used)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »
DS has, as far as I can tell, broken records yet again in staying IN PRINT consistently for far longer than is usual for ANYTHING on home video/disc.  Presumably that trend will continue with the new excitement in the run-up to Depp's film and the fact that the series, as a pop culture artifact, seems to be more widely visible than at any time since 1968.

Willie, we're probably going to see a DVD release of the two movies within the coming year.  If you have to have new copies of the VHS releases, try Amazon markets and other outlets on the Net.  I recommend getting the laser disc if you have a player for them although they still were not released with the correct screen ratio (can't speak to the audio mix).

G.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »
As someone who purchased the entire series on VHS, I can tell you that, at times, certain volumes were sold out, and I'd have to wait for them. Then, when MPI announced they were discontinuing the VHS tapes altogether, I had to scramble to acquire the volumes I didn't yet possess. There was such a rush from fans like myself that the office had a difficult time keeping up with all the orders! So, long story even longer, I don't foresee the DVD's being discontinued!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:23 AM »
Thanks to everyone for all the hopeful comments! I can breathe a little easier now!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 06:34:24 PM »
now, this might seem a little anal!   but, i did not get the picture postcard in the 2nd dvd set for the POST Barnabas shows.   (and i bet it's my favorite girl, Julia Hoffman!)

1)  am i correct on that
and
2) If i write to MPI, will they send me one? 

i dont' feel my set is fully complete without that card.   does that sound weird?

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »
Willie Loomis, no that is not weird.  Obviously, a set is incomplete without the postcards.  I'm unclear which set you're talking about, though:  is the DVD SET # 2 with episodes 251-290?  If so, I have the postcard that came with the set, and it's not Julia.  I don't know if MPI will send one out or not, but it doesn't hurt to inquire with them.  I've been a long-time member of the DVD Club, and anytime I've had problems, MPI responded quickly and politely to me and always has resolved any problems (for instance, one time a charge went onto my CC twice for the same item, and the charge was reversed within 24 houors), and the first DS DVD Special Edition had a section (DS on Location) that would be play on my DVD player;  MPI acknowledged that certain players would not play that section, and quickly sent me a VHS copy of that portion of the program.  (I've had no problems on that DVD with newer players.)

Good luck.

Brian

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »
i didn't own a dvd player until 2005 and by then i had already invested in all of the 1966-68 episodes on video and then switched to the dvd format with the start of the quentin storyline.

now i'm really torn as to how much i want to invest in buying everything on dvd.it's quite expensive and i doubt i'll re-watch the entire series over from begining to end.

i am thinking about the "the beginings"(formerly the "collector's series").i have started to see them in lots of book and dvd stores.what does everyone think about them?do the extras make them worth it?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:37 PM »
i feel that you should buy them, because i said i would just watch the arcs.    but i am doing it again from beginning, and the adam story is just winding down.     so, i'm about half way through it.   (hint, tho:   if you fall asleep, just keep going!    dont' rewind!)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 11:05:15 PM »
Since no one else has gotten into the following aspect of the situation, it probably should be mentioned that it's probably not likely that the DS DVDs, in their present form, anyway, will be produced for decades to come. Video technology has changed extremely rapidly in recent years. There are already two completely different second-generation DVD technologies available as it is (HD DVD and Blu-ray). (Thankfully, the players of both those types are backward compatible with the first-generation technology that produced the DS DVDs.)

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the first-generation DVD format doesn't go the way of vinyl LPs in the not all that far distant future. It's also up in the air as to whether or not MPI would upgrade/rerelease the DS episodes on whichever one of the two second-generation formats comes out on top. So, it could be doubtful that MPI would continue producing DS DVDs in their first-generation DVD format for decades to come once the second-generation DVD format takes hold (like VHS killed Beta when it came to videotape). It's possible that we'll see the availability of the DS DVDs in their present form for another decade - certainly on sites like eBay. But, unless MPI does indeed rerelease some sort of upgraded sets, to expect the current sets to be around for decades on sites like Amazon or Deep Discount is probably wishful thinking.  [hall2_sad]

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 04:06:53 AM »
i cant imagine a hd or blueray release of the ds episodes. obviously ds was not shot in high definition so there is no need for it unless they try to do some kind of cropping to make it wide screen like they shamelessly did with the 91 series on dvd. i think they should leave it the way it is. the dvds look crystal clear and i cant see how they could possibly improve it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:01:36 AM »
i cant imagine a hd or blueray release of the ds episodes.

Agreed.

ds was not shot in high definition so there is no need for it unless they try to do some kind of cropping to make it wide screen like they shamelessly did with the 91 series on dvd.

I don't know much about HD DVD, but if it's like HDTV, perhaps shows that were not shot in widescreen would not be cropped but would be packaged with black bars to the left and right of the picture (sort of the opposite of letterboxing), which is what most HDTV stations seem to do. For instance, here's a capture that I just took from a local HDTV station from their showing of Frasier:

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 05:26:59 AM »
For instance, here's a capture that I just took from a local HDTV station from their showing of Frasier:

Well, not being a fan of Frasier, I don't recognize these characters.  But, at first glance, I see several residents of Collinwood (perhaps from an alternate universe).  From left to right:  Barnabas (back to us),  Elliot Stokes, unidentified family member, Roger, Elizabeth, Burke Devlin, Carolyn and Vicki Winters.  LOL.

Brian

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 07:04:55 AM »
  (hint, tho:   if you fall asleep, just keep going!    dont' rewind!)

That is my problem. I keep falling asleep during the episodes. The next time I go to watch the show, I forget which episode it was I fell asleep during so I end up going back and rewatch the same episode again.

I think I'll follow your advice next time, and just keep going and don't look back!