Author Topic: Dark Shadows Calendar...What Happened!  (Read 953 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Calendar...What Happened!
« on: December 02, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
I have been buying a Dark Shadows calendar (from Dark Shadows Festival) for I don't know how long.  Yesterday I emailed them to ask when the 2017 calendar will be available.  I was floored when I received a response from them a bit later saying that they will no longer be doing them.  Does anyone know what happened or if any other organization sells them?  2017 is going to be really bleak without my DS calendar.  [ashamed3]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Calendar...What Happened!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
CastleBee,

I did not know that the DS calendars will not be available for 2017.  I wonder if there will be a DS Festival for 2017 as well?

Wasn't there some speculation that there might not be anymore DS Festivals in the future?

Bob

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 04:32:01 PM »
This is the first that I am hearing about the calendar issue. But there isn't supposed to be a festival in 2017. Just another damn cruise. No idea about 2018 or beyond.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
I heard the rumor about the festivals last year but, it never occurred to me that the merchandise would go away. I'm thinking of making my own DS calendar with photos I took at the Tarrytown fest. I really hope they don't end. Makes me sad.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »
1989 has the same day to date configuration as 2017. I've not looked at the calendar in years, if not decades. I'm putting that one up this upcoming year. 1995 and 2006 will work as well. Is this solution as good as having a new calendar? No, but it works. I did this a few years ago when I found a Shadows Con calendar on EBay illustrated by Barb Fister-Liltz. It was nice to have a blast from the past up on a wall.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:24:52 PM »
Maybe they finally ran out of "rare" photos.  [hall2_wink]  I've honestly wondered where in the world they were still finding photos that were taken 40+ years ago but had never been published. Though don't get me wrong, I've loved every minute of seeing "new" ones - and if the calendars have completely come to an end, I will miss them...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
Maybe they finally ran out of "rare" photos.  [hall2_wink]  I've honestly wondered where in the world they were still finding photos that were taken 40+ years ago but had never been published.
I wouldn't mind a calendar with some of the classic photos like covers from the Ross books or the photo covers from the Gold Key comics. It would be especially nice if they have access to the original prints of the photos from the Ross books, so we could have full size reproductions.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:00:26 PM »
Sometimes all good things must come to an end.  Us DS fans are a feisty bunch, but each year we have fewer.  I guess we should be thankful for what's left of promo things for our beloved series.  There will always be something out there for us to reminisce and connect (including this wonderful message board).  The owners of the franchise seem to be their worst enemy, vociferously protecting its territory and not doing what it takes to expand it even if it, in the short-run, doesn't make money, but in the long-run would bring in new fans (such as holding onto the 2004 pilot and not allowing it to go public like on youtube or whatever).  The owners don't care unless there's $$$ involved, but we care.  We keep it going.

Gerard