Author Topic: Did anyone else watch...  (Read 611 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Did anyone else watch...
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:27:47 PM »
... the ep of The Wild Wild West that ran on MeTV? It was called The Night of the Big Blast and Ida Lupino played a character named Dr. Faustina, who could have easily been our Julia Hoffman if it wasn't for the fact that the ep originally aired in 1966 and, well, even though, like Julia, Dr. Faustina brought dead bodies back to life, she actually did it so that she could plant bombs in their bodies in order to blow up government officials who wouldn't fund her experiments. But the opening sequence is something straight out of DS with Dr. Faustina in her lab in some menacing mansion where she's bringing her latest body to life amid all sorts of electrical gadgets, bunsen burners, bubbling vials, and a lightning rod to capture an electrical charged during a thunder and lightning storm, of course - and there's even a skeleton hanging in a corner. It's a cross between Julia bringing Adam, Eve, and Judah Zachery to life!!

If you've never seen it, I see where the ep is available on YouTube -

The Wild Wild West S02E04 The Night of the Big Blast

- and if for no other reason, you should check it out just to watch that opening sequence...

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Did anyone else watch...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 12:33:37 AM »
I'm sure that you're familiar with the Night of the Diva episode from 1969 which features characters named Angelique and Miss Collingwood.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:21:14 AM »
That is a fabulous episode.   A number of WWW episodes have a DS flavor.

Another one that makes me think of our show is "The Night of the Vicious Valentine" with Agnes Moorehead over-the-top as a VERY eccentric villainess.  That one is perhaps more reminiscent of the Diana Rigg/Patrick Macnee series The Avengers, especially this one episode called "The Murder Market."

(I always have to ploddingly say something like "The British cult TV series The Avengers from the 1960s with Patrick Macnee," yadda, now because if I just say "The Avengers," people think I'm talking about something involving comic books.)

G.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 02:33:55 AM »
Thayer David appeared in an episode of TWWW; he portrayed an evil scientist/conquistador.

I saw Patrick MacNee in the play, "Sleuth." Mr. MacNee was superb in the production.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 03:11:32 AM »
Thayer David appeared in two episodes of WWW--"The Night of the Samurai," which aired on Oct. 13, 1967 (and thus, a little over a month before he returned to DS in the role of Ben Stokes), in which he played a sinister Chinese (or was it a Russian who liked to dress Chinese?  I can't recall).  And "The Night of the Spanish Curse," in which he played the crazy guy impersonating the spirit of a dead Conquistador.  The latter aired on Jan. 10, 1969, but must have been filmed at some point in late 1968, I would think.

Thayer David was a very busy actor.  He may well have worked himself to death.  I did finally hear from Thayer's nephew that his passing was sudden and quite peaceful.  He sat down in a big chair to have a nap and never woke up.

Best,  G.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 03:18:00 AM »
Though Agnes Moorhead was nominated for many Emmy awards during the run of Bewitched, she won for Night of the Vicious Valentine.
Fade Away and Radiate