Author Topic: Humor on Dark Shadows  (Read 7954 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Humor on Dark Shadows
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2004, 04:29:22 PM »
I think Joshua Collins had some of the best comedic lines during 1795. Two of them come to mind...when he barks .."what makes you think I want to hear this taawwdry story..!!" at Nathan Forbes when Nathan was trying to get Joshua not to send a complaint against him to the navy after the Suki Forbes fiasco and snarking at Naomi and Abigail if he can't have a "conversation in the house without the women hiding in corners listening to every word I say??"
I don't know if was the dialogue or Louis Edmonds razor sharp delivery that cracked me up.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2004, 07:07:51 PM »
There are just so many:

I have to agree about Jason - the writers gave him such great and witty dialogue and Dennis Patrick milked it for all it was worth. I think I laugh out loud over something Jason says in almost every one of his scenes.

I also have to agree about Prof Stokes' first visit to the Old House. His rambling on about the architecture and a drunken furniture maker as Barnabas stands by anxious to get on with things - too funny. And another great Stokes moment is when Cassandra discovers the very much alive Stokes at the Evans cottage, and Stokes tells her to give Vicki the message that her copy of the 18th century portrait of Angelique is a fake because he's discovered the original. The expressions on both their faces after that remark are priceless.

Also have to agree with Eve's scenes where she pretends to be in love with Adam. One of the best of those has to be when Eve cuddles with Adam while secretly making plans to be with "Peter". Every time I see the expression on Marie Wallace's face, it never fails to make me laugh because she's so into being evil and duping Adam.

And again I have to agree about the reading of Edith's will and what transpires afterward. But I think my absolute favorite scene in that ep is when the newly powerful Judith has Edward dragged out of bed in the middle of the night just so she can inform him that she's moving into Edith's room - another priceless scene!

One of the most unintentionally funny moments in 1897 occurs in a scene that takes place in the cottage between Frid and RD when RD completely screws up the dialogue. Barnabas instructs Dirk to, "Tell them that you saw no one here."  To which Davis as Dirk says, "Oh that's fine, what am I gonna tell em?" Barnabas replys, "That you saw no one here!" - but he does it in such an exasperated tone that you can't help but see that Frid is really peeved at Davis.  :D

I love when Barnabas' confronts Lamar at the Trask chapel after Barnabas had escaped from being imprisoned by Trask. Frid's glee and Jerry Lacy's terror are just so evident that you can't help but laugh along with Barnabas' obvious enjoyment in getting the upper hand again.

And the sparring between Gabriel and Samantha. Did two other characters ever hate each other as much as those two? It's just such fun to watch.

But I think my two absolute favorite scenes have to be 1) in 1897 when Quentin writhes in agony while Laura glibly recounts the story of her "death" in Alexandria. Diana Millay is such a hoot in that scene - and 2) (do I even have to say it? [wink2]) of course it's when Roger calls Jeb "a cheap, insufferable pig!" [lghy]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2004, 07:16:48 PM »
The other is a scene that takes place in the drawing room of Collinwood. Roger has Viki cornered ready to grill her about Burke Devlin as Liz protests vehemently. The scene has to be seen to be appreciated but basically we see Liz and Roger fighting tooth and nail about it and then all of a sudden Liz relents and offers a polite "good night" to Miss Winters and strolls out as if she were walking past Kay Jewelers on her way to Tiffany's.

Doesn't Roger take Liz by the arm or shoulder and physically lead her out of the room to get rid of her? Maybe I'm thinking of another scene, but if not I think that's the funniest part of it all.  ;)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2004, 08:22:19 PM »
I have to agree about Jason - the writers gave him such great and witty dialogue and Dennis Patrick milked it for all it was worth. I think I laugh out loud over something Jason says in almost every one of his scenes.

I also concur on this. Dennis Patrick was terrific and injected humour whenever the possibility arose.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 09:01:29 PM »
Doesn't Roger take Liz by the arm or shoulder and physically lead her out of the room to get rid of her? Maybe I'm thinking of another scene, but if not I think that's the funniest part of it all.  ;)

Could very well be, and sounds likely. I can see Roger closing the drawing room doors behind her. Poor Viki!

Another hillarious scene is when Charity/Pansey bumps Trask with her hip during one of her many performances of I Want To Dance With you, in the foyer. That scene always makes me think of RobinV, and gets me howling with laughter!

And many of Roger's references to his son during the early eps, "The little monster", "Give him a kick for me", etc.

And in the interest of not going on endlessly, I'll make my last post in this topic with my all-time favorite moment in the show (which always cracks me up), when Liz turns to Roger in episode one and says, "Because I choose to do so!"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 09:02:39 PM »
What a fun topic!

If I may add a few personal faves--

Constable Carter is investigating the accident and is completely oblivious to the fact that David is staring uneasily at the wrench in his hands.  He addresses the boy but David is too terrified to speak, which Carter dismisses with, "He's probably just impressed with the dignity of my badge."

Roger and Liz are bickering in front of Frank Garner, and they're giving him contradictory instructions, so Roger snaps, "Whose divorce IS this, anyway?"

Vicki comments that Barn seems very taken with the night and Julia replies with something like, "He's certainly the most dedicated night person I know."

Vicki is shocked after meeting Nicholas, and Carolyn tells her that if Lucretia Borgia could have a brother, Cassandra could too.

Magda is cleaning the Old House and exasperatedly tells Jamison that Barnabas "has brought me something called 'the wax for the floors!'"  (I would've liked to have seen her when she was using it, snicker.)

Chris tells Barnabas that Ned "is going to hound me and hound me until he kills me!"

David reveals to Hallie that he had a dream about her.  She says, "Lots of boys have dreams about me."  David adds, "Yeah, but they don't try to go back to sleep afterwards."

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2004, 01:24:45 AM »

It never occured to me until now, is Jamison of 1897 Liz's and Roger's father?

He is the father of Roger and Liz.  I don't think we get a mention of who their mother is though.  Another Collinsport mystery.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2004, 03:47:22 AM »
There is a scene which Barnabas has given Vickie a history book from the old house, but B was not gonna give it to her, but Vicki sees it dedicated to her, and asks why he wasnt going to give it to her, Burke chimes in that Vicki should get off the "hickory history kick". The expression of Barnabas face is great, it looks as though he looked at the cue card and rolls his eyes at the error. Another one is when Vicki is comforting David because David is frightened of the B portrait, he says the eyes are blaring blazing at him. Next time you watch that scene, watch Vickies face break into a smile, and covers her face to keep from laughing, trying to fight off the giggles.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 04:12:47 AM »
there  were a  lot  of great scenes but i do love the looks on Judith's and Tim's faces  after they brick  dear Gregory in after Judith taunts him with the picture of amanda{now that is Hell being bricked up with  her pictiure for all time ICK}

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2004, 05:09:36 AM »
It never occured to me until now, is Jamison of 1897 Liz's and Roger's father?

Yes, Dom - that's the family tree!  Haven't you ever noticed any of the postings about Laura - since it's the same Laura, Roger married his own grandmother!!
Josette

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2004, 07:10:16 AM »
Yeah, Josette, I remember reading about Roger's incestuous tendencies but I never really "put it together". I just figured Laura was Laura was Laura was Laura was Laura was Laura was Laura was Laura. I also know that I knew Jamison was Liz's & Roger's father but I never thought about it enough to realize that the Jamison in 1897 was he. How fun though to know now. I like realizing stuff like this because now when I watch 1897 the next time, it will be like watching with a different set of eyes. I'll be thinking, "Hey, that Liz's and Roger's father." I should be embarrassed, but I'm a silver lining kind of guy. ;)

PS - Thanks for answering my question as well, VW. :) 

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »
I like realizing stuff like this because now when I watch 1897 the next time, it will be like watching with a different set of eyes. I'll be thinking, "Hey, that Liz's and Roger's father." I should be embarrassed, but I'm a silver lining kind of guy. ;)

I often like watching things a 2nd or 3rd time, particularly mysteries.  It's fun to see all the clues and developments once one knows what's really happening.  While there's nothing mysterious about this, it certainly provides a different perspective.  I always wonder when watching Jamison, trying to picture him as their father.  I always assumed their father would be rather stiff and unyielding, but watching the young Jamison, I can't picture him growing up like that.
Josette

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2004, 09:59:02 AM »
Dom Wrote:
Another hillarious scene is when Charity/Pansey bumps Trask with her hip during one of her many performances of I Want To Dance With you, in the foyer. That scene always makes me think of RobinV, and gets me howling with laughter!

LOL!!  How can I forget that one!!  That had to be one of the funniest scenes that I've seen on DS!!

Another funny one that I just thought of was during the 1795 storyline when Angelique was weaving a spell to cast on Josette.  Ben had come to her room with a spiders web and wanted to know what she was planning on doing with it.  She remarked that she was going to make a dress out of it, to which he replied, " a dress? I'd like to see you wearing it!"  LOL!  From the look on her face she wasn't too happy with his remark.

During the Adam storyline when the sheriff and his men were all out searching for Adam.  The sherrif and his group were in the woods and could see the old house up in the distance.  The sheriff then pointed to the house and remarked, "everytime there's trouble, it always seems to point to that house!!"   So true!!

This one surely wasn't meant to be funny but I had to laugh just the same:  After Dr.Lang's death, Julia had confronted Cassandra and was giving her a piece of her mind.  Cassandra then accused Julia of being in love with Barnabas.  Then Julia replied, "not nearly as much as you!!"  And then of course there was that famous b - slap!

1795 - Lt.Forbes is trying desperately to win over Millicent's affections and Millicent is talking about her lawyer and how he always gives her good advice.  Forbes then replies that he's probably in love with her too. To which Millicent laughingly replies, "my lawyer?  He's over 70 years old!!"

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2004, 05:32:56 PM »
Thanks, Cassandra! Stokes remark about seeing Ange in the web dress (was she ahead of her time or what, lol!) is truely hysterical! I'm so glad you remembered it. It's great to start the day with a hardy laugh.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2004, 07:39:10 PM »
A few of my favorite funny moments:

Referring to Willie, the Eagle Hill caretaker says, "He did something terrible!  He pretended to be something that he wasn't!" to which Jason replies, "If that were a crime, we'd all be in jail."

When tellling Julia about his dream, Eric Lang states that Julia was in the dream, but said nothing.  Julia cracks (and I wonder if Grayson ad-libbed this), "Well, that proves it was a dream!"

Barnabas referring to the zombified Quentin as "a mindless hulk."  Don't know why, but that always cracks me up.

Barnabas tells Julia she's being "peevish," and she shoots back, "PEEV-ish?!?!?"

Mrs. Johson asks David if he has seen her cigarettes and he replies, "Well, are you supposed to be smoking while you're working?"

And my absolute favorite:

Barnabas is in the Old House, speaking to someone, when a car horn is heard.  Barnabas leans out the door of the Old House and calls, "Just a moment, Julia!  I'll be right there!"  IMHO, this was the funniest moment in all of DS.  In fact, I'm laughing while writing this.  I always imagine an impatient Julia at the wheel of the car, with cigarette in hand, rolling her eyes and muttering epithets.  Also, I find the scene to be rather out of character for DS.  While cars have been featured on the show on several occasions, the inclusion of a car horn in this episode strikes me as odd, especially since Barnabas and Julia are not shown in the car.  (I believe that Grayson wasn't even in this episode!)  Furthermore, I've always felt that the world of DS one of great politeness.  Honking a horn in order to rush someone along doesn't feel authentic to the DS universe.

Regards,

John