Author Topic: Current Scheme Extremely Difficult to Read  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Current Scheme Extremely Difficult to Read
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
The regular (white) print is very small.  It's readable, but takes more concentration to see it.  The parts that are blue and links in blue are almost invisible unless highlighted.
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Current Scheme Extremely Difficult to Read
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
As a temporary measure until any needed changes might be made, you could enlarge print in two ways if your computer is anything like mine:  Under View at the top, Text Size can be adjusted.  Sorry if you know this already.  The other way, to enlarge it more and change the color scheme to make things easier on eyes, is gotten to by Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Accessibility Options > Display > Settings.  I use Windows Standard (extra large).  My screen is black and purple and green, with white letters a centimeter tall.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
Have you made any changes to your browser or computer in the past year? The reason I ask is that this is at least the third Christmas season to feature this current theme.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:19:38 AM »
Although I love the Christmas theme year after year, it doesn't have - or at least I can't see - any link for " new posts since the last log-in" (or however it's phrased).  It's just too time consuming to catch up by trying to find any from category to category.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
Actually, it does. It's the "Unread" link in the top right hand corner of the page, right under the "Hello" greeting for each member.  [santa_smiley]

It's just too time consuming to catch up by trying to find any from category to category.

Honestly, I prefer doing it that way because then I know I don't miss anything. I'm not so sure about this current version of SMF, but in the past posts were occasionally and inexplicably skipped with the read unread posts feature.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 01:34:17 AM »
Hi Gerard! There's a link in the top right under your user name for UNREAD.

I also have difficulty seeing anything but the white print unless I highlight the entire page. I did this the last 2 years as well.

Happy holidays to all! [santa_cheesy]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 03:20:55 AM »
I found it!  But it's almost virtually invisible under the color scheme.  That's probably why I couldn't see it before.  It's pretty much like a blur and I wasn't sure if that's what it was, but I clicked on it and the unread posts came up.  Thanks!

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »
As in past years, you know you can change the theme in your profile, right?  [santa_smiley]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 08:17:05 AM »
Thanks, Magnus, for the suggestions.  I usually don't like to make changes like that for one website, because then one has to change it back for everything else.  However, it reminded me of something - by holding Ctrl and clicking the + sign, it enlarges it and then the same with - takes it back.  So, that certainly helps with this site.  And, the blue is a bit easier to see in the larger size.

MB - I don't think I've made any changes.  Perhaps it was like this other years and I didn't comment on it.  I don't remember!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
I did an informal survey of eight of my friends who don't visit the forum (yes, shockingly I have friends who aren't into DS - sad for them - but true  [santa_sad]) and I just heard back from the last of them. I picked each person specifically because four of them have LED monitors or tablets and the other four still use CRT monitors. Of the four who have LED monitors or tablets, all reported they could read the forum without any problems because the print is all crisp and clear no matter the color or background color. However, things were evenly divided when it came to the four who still use CRT monitors - two saw everything clearly - but the other two had a bit of a problem. However, that was only until they adjusted the sharpness of their monitors. So what I'm taking away is that perhaps the problems some may have with the Christmas theme might be due to their monitors. Perhaps trying to adjust the sharpness will help. Though perhaps it won't because I do remember that when I was still using a 20 in. Viewsonic (which is a very respected brand) CRT monitor, adjusting the sharpness never really worked that well for some reason.  [santa_huh]  But I suppose people can still try that. And if it doesn't work and the Christmas theme still remains a problem, there's always the alternative that Midnite reminded of going into your profile to change back to the Midnight Storm 2 theme.  [santa_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Just to fill in my computer knowledge a little please, MB, in CDT vs LED, where does a plasma  or liquid crystal screen fit in?  Is that LED or not, or what?  Now I'm wondering if I have to have a certain type of monitor for my eyes.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 03:30:04 AM »
Although I love the Christmas theme year after year, it doesn't have - or at least I can't see - any link for " new posts since the last log-in" (or however it's phrased).  It's just too time consuming to catch up by trying to find any from category to category.

I thought it was just my new computer, or that I wasn't being very observant!!

Patti
What a Woman!