Author Topic: Problem!  (Read 2153 times)

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
Problem!
« on: December 04, 2003, 07:09:52 PM »
     Here goes--

My mom and I noticed that when we go to this site, we get this long scroll bar at the bottom of the screen that makes all the posts longer, horizontally.  And this is only happening with this board.  What's going on?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Problem!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 07:27:48 PM »
Hmmm, you've got me.

What brower (i.e. MSIE 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 or Netscape 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 7.0, etc.) are each of you using? And have you tried to use a different browser to see if the same thing happens?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 07:54:32 PM »
In your mom's b.d. topic, it's displaying that way in IE because of the long row of musician smileys in Josette's post.  Did you notice it in other topics too?

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 08:43:28 PM »
In Connie's b.d. topic, it's displaying that way in IE because of the long row of musician smileys in Josette's post.  Did you notice it in other topics too?

Not at first.  When we first saw Josette's smileys, they weren't all spread out.  They were piled on top of each other, and then at some point, they changed and were going all across.

It may just be that topic, since I don't see much of it here or in other topics.  There's just a little bit of scroll space.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 08:52:02 PM »
   It may just be that topic, since I don't see much of it here or in other topics.

I just put a space between each of her smiley codes (sorry, Josette!) and the topic isn't stretched beyond my screen in that browser anymore.  I hope that helped. :)

There's just a little bit of scroll space.

Same for me in Explorer.  I think the boards look way better in Netscape, but that's just me. [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 09:12:22 PM »
I've also edited Josette's post so that her muscian smileys display on two different lines. Which leads me to an important subject:

When people are creating one of their YaBBC code masterpieces, they should keep in mind that the section of the display page that will showcase their finished post is only 548 pixels wide in a monitor that's using an 800X600 resolution, which is still the most common resolution in use today. So, even if you might have your monitor's resolution set to 1078X768, 1152X864, 1280X960, 1280X1024, 1400X1050, 1600X1200 or even 1920X1440 because you just like it better that way or you're using a 17", 18", 19" or larger monitor, please keep in mind that most people will NOT be seeing your masterpiece at that same resolution. The best thing to still do at this point in time is to compose your masterpiece as if everyone will be seeing it as 548 pixels wide at an 800X600 resolution. That way it will display correctly for everyone.  [smlyb]

Thanks.  [winkg]

Offline LoveAtFirstBITE

• Full Poster
  • A repressed hysteric
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 09:13:56 PM »
I hope that helped. :)

Yes!  Problem solved - thank you.

Now...Morgan's pants...can you do anything about that?

;D  :o  ;D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 09:29:51 PM »
I think the boards look way better in Netscape, but that's just me. [wink2]

The forum looks better in almost ANY browser other than IE. And that's not just prejudice against IE speaking - it's the truth. IE is just way too prone to display problems, basically because MS still insists on not making IE W3C HTML/XHTML 1.0 compliant.  >:(

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 11:14:41 PM »
Now...Morgan's pants...can you do anything about that?

;D  :o  ;D

Heheh.  And the sweating, oy!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 05:13:27 AM »
When I inserted the "musicians" I had no idea how many would fit across the page.  I always do a preview of anything "creative" - so, when I checked it out - and again with the finished product it looked fine.  I was quite surprised to see that they exactly fit.  This is with IE6.

As to all your info about the number of pixels - I would have no idea of how many anything would add up to anyway!!!!!

Will it work with Netscape 7 or 7.1 yet?

By the way - back to the musicians - a lot of the smileys have very easy to remember descriptive names like beer and crowdhappy.  Those darn musicians (and a number of other items) have only a letter and number designation.  (1) Why?  (2) Is it possible to have them changed to something memorable like the others?
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 10:48:20 PM »
Will it work with Netscape 7 or 7.1 yet?

I'm using the Linux version of Netscape 7.1 at this very moment.  ;)

Those darn musicians (and a number of other items) have only a letter and number designation.  (1) Why?

Um, because they can.  :-

Honestly, the names of all the extra smileys are simply the file names they had when I found them on the Web...

(2) Is it possible to have them changed to something memorable like the others?

If you (or anyone esle) would like to suggest/come up with new, more memorable names, by all means, please do so, and I'd be more than happy to rename them.  I'll even post a new topic here on the Testing board just for that purpose.  [b003]  But keep in mind that renaming them and keeping them on display in already existing posts may not be as simple as it might appear to be - as anyone who'll check out "Rename The Smileys" will see...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 03:37:39 AM »
When I inserted the "musicians" I had no idea how many would fit across the page.  I always do a preview of anything "creative" - so, when I checked it out - and again with the finished product it looked fine.  I was quite surprised to see that they exactly fit.

What might help avoid creating a display problem for others is to not fill a row with smileys or text without any spacing in there.