Author Topic: *** BIG Changes Ahead ***  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
*** BIG Changes Ahead ***
« on: August 04, 2003, 06:10:28 AM »
Big changes are in the works so far as the next version of the forum's system goes. It appears as though most things will continue to look and act the way we've become accustomed since the move from YaBB SP to YaBB SE, but internally everything will be VERY different. I've been checking out the Alpha preview of the new system and most things seem to work much more quickly. For example, instead of it saying something like "Page created in 0.424 seconds" at the bottom of the most forum pages, the new system will more likely be saying "Page created in 0.042 seconds."

One of the big changes that you'll be seeing once the new system is installed will be in your profiles. The new system divides a profile into separate pages rather than having everything all on one page. There are different pages for "Account Settings" (name, language, e-mail, hide e-mail, secret question, answer, and current password), "Personal Settings" (gender, birthdate, location, time format, time offset, Web site title, Web site URL, ICQ, AIM, MSN, and YIM), "Forum Profile Settings" (personalized picture, I have my own pic, personal text, signature, ), "Theme Settings" (an entirely new section that will allow cousins to set theme preferences: show board descriptions inside boards, show child boards on every page in boards, don't show other user's avatars, and don't show other user's signatures), "Notification Settings" (set notification for forum announcements and first unread replys in topics you'd like to be notified of), and "Instant Message Settings" (the settings for which they're still working on).

So, don't be surprised one day in about a month or so to discover that the forum has once again undergone a metamorphosis. ;)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re:*** BIG Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 08:18:23 AM »
One of the big changes that you'll be seeing once the new system is installed will be in your profiles. The new system divides a profile into separate pages rather than having everything all on one page. There are different pages for "Account Settings" (name, language, e-mail, hide e-mail, secret question, answer, and current password), "Personal Settings" (gender, birthdate, location, time format, time offset, Web site title, Web site URL, ICQ, AIM, MSN, and YIM), "Forum Profile Settings" (personalized picture, I have my own pic, personal text, signature, ), "Theme Settings" (an entirely new section that will allow cousins to set theme preferences: show board descriptions inside boards, show child boards on every page in boards, don't show other user's avatars, and don't show other user's signatures), "Notification Settings" (set notification for forum announcements and first unread replys in topics you'd like to be notified of), and "Instant Message Settings" (the settings for which they're still working on).

Oh boy, just like an Invision Board!  Complete with a place to upload siggies and avatars.

I for one am looking forward to the changes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 10:52:33 AM »
just like an Invision Board!

Please don't blaspheme on the forum. ( ;) ) Invision is no friend to the OpenSource community now that they've decided to only provide paid support to the people who use their BB system  :P

I for one am looking forward to the changes.

I've spent quite a few hours checking out the changes and reading over what's still to come and I have to say I'm really looking forward to installing the new system. :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 11:03:42 AM »
[a1f5] [bigok] [clap] [crowdhappy] [bouncer] [crowdhappy] [clap] [bigok] [a1f5]

Why am I so happy?

I just found out that a SpellCheck feature has been built into the new upcoming system!!

[hello]  [roll3]  [hello]  [beer]  [spin]  [beer]  [hello]  [roll3]  [hello]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 11:12:26 AM »
 [clap]  [hello]....doing the Dance of Joy!!

...because some of us REALLY need it!  [6184]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 06:55:29 AM »
I'm very happy too!

[crowdhappy] [clap]  [band] [clap] [crowdhappy]

That is just some joyous news MB.  It makes the change so worth it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 06:07:06 PM »
Apparently working on the new system is affecting certain developers in strange ways. Check out this thread:

Topic: Rejected Dr. Seuss books  ** Parental Advisory ** - don't say I didn't warn you. ;D

Accomplice_To_Cass

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 12:15:49 AM »
The new system seems like it has some nice features.  [angl2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 01:49:24 AM »

Speaking of the features, cousins will curse when they especially like your post and cure when they don't.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 01:24:35 PM »

Actually, the new system hasn't been installed yet. I originally thought it would have been released by now, but the developers are taking their time to make sure everything will work exactly the way they want it to. Also, they're adding extra features that have been suggested by people like myself who've been testing the new system out.  [winkg]

Hopefully soon...

Accomplice_To_Cass

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 08:30:34 PM »
Actually, the new system hasn't been installed yet. I originally thought it would have been released by now, but the developers are taking their time to make sure everything will work exactly the way they want it to. Also, they're adding extra features that have been suggested by people like myself who've been testing the new system out.  [winkg]

Hopefully soon...

I know it hasn't been installed yet, sorry, what I meant to say was that The new system looks like it will have some nice features. I should have worded that better.  :(

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
[a1f5][bigok] [clap] [crowdhappy][bouncer][crowdhappy] [clap] [bigok][a1f5]

Why am I so happy?

I just found out that a SpellCheck feature has been built into the new upcoming system!!
Has this happened? I can't find it & it sure would be nice! [hall2_smiley]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: *** BIG Changes Ahead ***
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 10:02:17 PM »
It did happen. But, unfortunately, our current host doesn't support the PHP features that are needed to use it.  [hall_sad]