Author Topic: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts  (Read 21312 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: The Salem Branch - Your thoughts
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2006, 04:17:25 AM »
I bought the book at the fest and had LP sign it. I agree with Gerard to think of it as an investment.

It was INCREDIABLY difficult for me to get through Angelique's Descent. I think I put it down at least 4 times, and picked it back up after a two week break. Midnite's comments about LP being quite wordy are spot on. She is QUITE WORDY. I particularly hate it when an author describes the same thing a thousand times in the book, unless, of course, it is supposed to be some sort of symbolism. LP described the woods and the leaves on the ground too many times for me to count! And though I have wracked my brain, I cannot pick out the symbolism here, if there even is any, which I don't think there is. Anyone have any ideas?

I didn't hate the ending, but I didn't like it either. I was appalled by a number of Barnabas' actions, those of you who have read it know what I'm talking about. And I thought the hippie's were totally out of place and shattered the universe of DS by taking away the "escape" factor of it and bringing it into the real world. And the ending, IMO, completely shattered the relationship between the two characters involved. The only thing I did really like was how she portrayed David growing up--going through teenage things. Love, lust, etc.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2006, 01:24:28 PM »
I enjoyed the book. My main problem was the lack of continuity in ONE IMPORTANT MATTER just to justify a plot twist at the end of the book ...... Barnabas was NO LONGER A VAMPIRE upon his return to 1971 from 1840. Angelique had lifted the curse before she died. Lara Parker either: 1. Did not do her homework researching the episodes 2: Just did not care about continuity  3. This is a Parallel Time story in yet another dimension of Parallel Time.
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2006, 02:51:00 AM »
Barnabas was NO LONGER A VAMPIRE upon his return to 1971 from 1840. Angelique had lifted the curse before she died.

Yea, I had a feeling about this too. But I wasn't sure as I haven't seen those episodes in quite a while. I'm currently rewatching them so I'm sure I'll see it soon. Apparently LP didn't watch enough of the episodes during her research.

BTW, is anyone writing to her about any of these? Both her and KLS have said that if you have a problem or issue or idea for or about their books to write them and tell them so they don't make the same mistake twice. I'm hoping that not too many people wrote to her after AD.
Brandon Collins

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2006, 06:11:26 AM »
I too thought the hippie references destroyed that time wall that the series so thoroughly employs.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
BTW, is anyone writing to her about any of these? Both her and KLS have said that if you have a problem or issue or idea for or about their books to write them and tell them so they don't make the same mistake twice.

Hmmm, somehow I don't think LP will be as receptive to constructive criticism about her book as KLS will be.  But then, KLS is a better writer than LP is.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2006, 03:23:44 PM »
Hmmm, somehow I don't think LP will be as receptive to constructive criticism about her book as KLS will be.
I don't know about that. How many errors in the KLS books have been corrected in subsequent reprints?  >:D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2006, 03:29:15 PM »
I don't know about that. How many errors in the KLS books have been corrected in subsequent reprints? 

Well, I've only read her DS books (Scrapbook, Companion etc...) and I can't remember if she mentioned in either about how [spoiler]her "pop" died on the show,[/spoiler] but yeah, that was a mistake!   >:D  What were some of the others?
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2006, 10:06:27 PM »
Hmmm, somehow I don't think LP will be as receptive to constructive criticism about her book as KLS will be. But then, KLS is a better writer than LP is.   ;D

I'd have to say that I agree with this. LP seemed like a nice enough person, should you get to know her, but I'm not sure she'd enjoy reading page after page after page of criticism such as this. I'm not sure anyone would. But due care must be taken when one is writing a book in such a niche market like this, with fans as devoted as us!
Brandon Collins

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2006, 05:32:07 AM »
Barnabas was NO LONGER A VAMPIRE upon his return to 1971 from 1840. Angelique had lifted the curse before she died.
Yea, I had a feeling about this too. But I wasn't sure as I haven't seen those episodes in quite a while. I'm currently rewatching them so I'm sure I'll see it soon. Apparently LP didn't watch enough of the episodes during her research.

Brandon Collins and BARNABASLIVES,

Whether or not Barnabas was still a vampire in his final appearance has been much debated in fandom.  Though Angelique lifted the curse in 1840, the present-day Barnabas [spoiler]was actually under Jeb's vampiric curse.  It seems to me (though even this is up to interpretation) that it was nighttime when Barnabas, Julia and Stokes returned via the staircase in 1971,[/spoiler] so that's no help.

Sam Hall made it quite clear in his TV Guide article that he believed Barnabas was still a vampire when the series ended.  And if fan fic is any indication, most of the writers whose stories I've read believe the same thing.

I think LP got this one right.

Here's something else from TSB that perhaps should have been caught during the editing process.  SPOILERS!!!  While visiting Salem, David and Barnabas spotted a crying Antoinette at a gravesite.  After she left, Barnabas read the inscription on the tombstone:  it was an infant of Miranda du Val's, who died in 1692.  Then, at Gallows Hill (from p. 112)--

"... Mirand du Val.  Hanged October 31, 1692. 'If you take away my life, God will give you blood to drink.'"
     Barnabas stopped and stared long and hard at those words. God will give you blood to drink. A cold shudder ran down his spine. Who was this Miranda du Val and what sort of innocent victim had she been? What a vivid and remarkable thing for her to say. God will give you blood to drink. Of course, it was a curse! From the gallows, in her last breath, she had cursed those who hanged her.

I know that Barnabas can be dense at times, but a light should have gone on in his head. Julia told Barnabas about a girl known only as Miranda who testified against Judah Zachery in 1692.  Later, after Angelique lifted the curse, he told the witch, "You were Miranda," recalling the newspaper stories that Julia had told him about.

Curse... Miranda... blood... 1692... witch... Angelique.  Duh, Barnabas.  I think the name Miranda should have been instantly recognizable to him.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2006, 05:57:23 AM »
I particularly hate it when an author describes the same thing a thousand times in the book, unless, of course, it is supposed to be some sort of symbolism. LP described the woods and the leaves on the ground too many times for me to count! And though I have wracked my brain, I cannot pick out the symbolism here, if there even is any, which I don't think there is. Anyone have any ideas?

I think the recurring theme of leaves is intentional, though I agree that it got old.  Fast.  The Collins money originated with the Salem branch of the family tree, and you know how the Collinses love to dwell on their bloodlines and family history.  She explains the symbolism herself at one point; I'll see if I can find it...

Ah, p. 97--  Barnabas to David:  "We are a special family. We are all leaves on the same tree. And we know and accept that. Our ancestors are always with us, watching over us."

Or maybe it's just Autumn, lol.  ;)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2006, 06:30:48 AM »
Ah, p. 97--  Barnabas to David:  "We are a special family. We are all leaves on the same tree. And we know and accept that. Our ancestors are always with us, watching over us."

Yup.  Leaves watch each other's backs.  Well-known fact.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2006, 01:30:33 AM »
I liked the book. I think it's fun that LP is interested enough in DS to consider putting a story together. Kudos to her!
I also think that it was published because of her name and association with DS. As stated before, she uses far too many adjectives, etc, etc. But I give her a thumbs up for continuing the saga and wish her the best of luck in future endeavors in this fold.
Now you want to know what I really think?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2006, 01:11:07 AM »
i just started the book yesterday so i'll reserve judgement until i'm finished however...

there are few glaring implausabilities right off the bat.

[spoiler]barnabas as persian rug salesman and "poor relation"?i think not.

and elizabeth would never,ever open up collinwood to tourist groups.ever.[/spoiler]

as someone else pointed out i'm not sure how familiar lara parker really is today with these characters.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2006, 05:57:45 AM »
there are few glaring implausabilities right off the bat.

[spoiler]and elizabeth would never,ever open up collinwood to tourist groups.ever.[/spoiler]

I completely FORGOT about that! Seriously, I think they'd sell the last scrap of furniture in the house [spoiler]before they would ever let anyone inside for a tour![/spoiler]

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2006, 07:23:11 PM »
I've never read either of the Lara Parker books because they haven't been published in braille. The first one has been made available in an Ebook form, but I don't have the necessary software yet. Maybe soon I'll be able to, then I can form a proper opinion.  ;D

An Ebook for Angelique's Descent?  I'm intrigued, Sunny.  Where did you hear about this?

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html