Author Topic: DS mentioned in EW article on SciFI channel  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
DS mentioned in EW article on SciFI channel
« on: October 16, 2004, 09:10:46 PM »
From Entertainment Weekly article ("Popular Science"-- October 22, 2004; p. 84) about an ongoing SciFi channel makeover and its subsequent ratings growth:

[About SFC continuing to reach new plateaus] "True, but it's taken a while to climb out of Nerd Valley. Launched in 1992, Sci Fi quickly became the place to go...when you were bored and wondered if anything was actually on Channel 116. Highlights included repeats of the '60s soap Dark Shadows, and an insect puppet hosting Bug Week. When the millenium dawned, Sci Fi decided to aim a little higher."

Boy, talk about backhanded compliment.  ::)

A more interesting tidbit in this article-- 43% of SFC viewers are female.  :D

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: DS mentioned in EW article on SciFI channel
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 09:30:58 PM »

Not this female.  I cruise by that channel on a regular basis...and I can't remember the last time I found anything worth watching on it.  If cablevision allowed us to pick and choose our own channels, one by one.... that one would be long gone. :P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 09:44:56 PM »
Not this female.  I cruise by that channel on a regular basis...and I can't remember the last time I found anything worth watching on it.

The perpetual reruns of Buck Rogers have allowed me to confirm two things:

(1) that Gil Gerard is nowhere near the hunk I thought he was when I watched the show as a kid

(2) that spandex is not for everyone

Now that I'm secure in the knowledge of these two things, I don't need to see the show ever again.  ::)

Seriously, though, I have to be nice because I want them to hurry up and air Larva, which, despite its unfortunate name, is supposed to feature David Selby in what he described at the DS Fest as a good role.

Regardless of the ridiculous titles and premises, their Saturday night monster movies have been ratings successes for the network. There was a recent article about them in Wired Magazine.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 10:35:48 PM »

Yeah, well.  :-

That shouldn't really be all that surprising. And as a matter of fact, didn't this topic:

OT - The Geek Test

show that there are actually more female geeks on the forum than male. (I know I still haven't been able to live down my disappointing result.  :'()

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 12:00:24 AM »

Sigh...go figure. :(

OT - The Geek Test
show that there are actually more female geeks on the forum than male. (I know I still haven't been able to live down my disappointing result.  :'()

Chortle... Oh dear. I bet my geek meter has gone up a bit since then. I guess school, and other influences, can do that to ya... :P  ;D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 01:19:42 AM »
The perpetual reruns of Buck Rogers have allowed me to confirm two things:

(1) that Gil Gerard is nowhere near the hunk I thought he was when I watched the show as a kid

(2) that spandex is not for everyone

Now that I'm secure in the knowledge of these two things, I don't need to see the show ever again.  ::)

I agree. . i used to luv Buck Rogers and his android thing. .Twiggy was it?  And even then i thought Admiral Wilma was gettin' a raw deal (dismissed as unattractive?) but she really is the only one who could pull off the Spandex.  . Now .. i see it and groan. . You know the whole Wilma, Buck and Princess Ardala thing if faintly Barnabas, Julia and Angelique-ish isn't it? 
Julia99