Author Topic: Parallel Time  (Read 3697 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re:Parallel Time
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2003, 06:02:07 AM »
Everyone complains about Maggie in this story, but don't forget, they are basing it on Rebecca.  She's supposed to be mousy and timid and actually, given the life she's led, does show more spark than that.  And, Quentin is supposed to fly off the handle over any suggestion of anything concerning Angelique.  Sometimes in this story it doesn't always seem to make sense, but just picture it as Rebecca.

The 2nd Mrs. DeWinter was shy but brave.  Maxim was older, aristocratic, also mysterious and moody, and as the story progressed became increasingly withdrawn.  PT Maggie, on the other hand, deals with nearly every situation by running from the room crying.  And PT Quentin is a brute who, at one of his lowest points, orders his wife to her room as if doling out a timeout to a child.  I find their scenes together very nearly intolerable.

i agree also Midnite i believe that is the reason this is my least favorite storyline
[spoiler]other than Julia whacking Hoffman didn't like any of this i never understood why Maggie returned This quentin was my least favorite[/spoiler]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2003, 02:46:06 PM »
Well, far be it from me to dissent, ;) but I kind of like PT1970.  There are elements that could be far better, I'll give you that; in some senses it's a storyline with several failed opportunities.  But I still enjoy much of it.

I find it very believable that the PT characters are so different from the RT characters.  That's kind of the point.   These aren't the same characters we're used to.  They share the same names (mostly) and faces as the characters we already know - but that's it.  The circumstances of their births, their family histories, their lives up to now, everything has always been different from what happened in RT.

I agree, it would have been nice to see a spunkier Maggie.  But I still think she showed a little more backbone than she's given credit for: she called Hoffman on some of her bullshit, and wouldn't let Quentin treat her like a child.

The Longworth/Yaeger storyline is yucky for the most part.  The best thing about it is Buffie Harrington.  If they'd focused more on her character it could've been better.  :(

The Alexis/Angelique angle is a lot of fun, IMHO.  I've just always loved evil twin soap plots, and this one is becomes a real humdinger.  Here, Hannah and Stokes could have been used to better effect, but I think Lara Parker really carries it off quite well.

It is hard to root for anyone at this stage of the game, though.  Barnabas is out of commission, and Maggie's AWOL in NYC.  With Alexis possibly not who she says she is, Quentin acting like a jerk, Hoffman a total bitch (what a hoot!), and with Liz, Roger, Carolyn and Willie totally in the background, it's hard to find your safe place as a viewer.  :-

I do think that this storyline picks up a bit with the return of Barnabas, and when the "real" Julia Hoffman shows up.   :)

My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2003, 01:36:10 AM »
Like Jennifer, I find 1970 PT to probably be my least favorite storyline.  At least at this point in the game it seems that way, which is not too great since we're still fairly early on in the storyline.  1970 PT starts off very promising -- I really like Hoffman, and the mystery of Alexis and Angelique is good.  I remember things get pretty creepy once their stepfather gets into the picture.

I'd forgotten, though, how early on in the storyline Bruno makes his entrance and how much air time he gets ... Consequently, I'm fast-forwarding like crazy through this storyline in a way I never did with Leviathan, at least not for weeks and weeks of Leviathan ... I also especially dislike the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde ripoff, which doubles my fast-forwarding habit in this storyline.  Chris Pennock does an admirable job as Cyris Longworth, and the contrast with his "Jeb" character shows he really can act.  Yet I fear that his tendencies towards ... "excess" ... will be all to apparent now with his alter personality hogging the stage.

I love the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story, and the theme of doubles and dopplegangers, which one finds in much literature of that era, so I'm not quite sure why I dislike it so much when DS tries to do it.  My feelings about it are similar to the Adam storyline -- great source material, but ...

The Quentin character remains irritating throughout, as I remember ...

Lest I sound too negative, though, I am intrigued with what happened to Angelique at the seance and what's up with Damien Edwards ... and I've completely forgotten from my previous viewing!

For once I like Jerry Lacy again ... this role and his lawyer character are the only ones I can tolerate ...

:(
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2003, 02:05:06 AM »
I liked Trask too and was intrigued by Damien Edwards when I first saw the story.  I was interested in how they were all connected to Angelique [spoiler]but then that possible story went nowhere too.   :P[/spoiler]
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2003, 03:26:06 AM »
Eleanor, I'm intrigued by your spoiler -- especially with that  :P  in it ... but I'm forcing myself not to read it!  I don't want to spoil what enjoyment I can still wring out of a second viewing of this storyline.  (Though I do remember whether Alexis really is Alexis or Angelique ... and what happens with that part of the story ... creepy!!)

;D

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2003, 07:51:59 AM »
It IS fun when you remember some things, though.  I know a lot of mysteries that can be more fun the second time around when you know the explanation and suddenly understand all sorts of references and little details.

The other day there was a rather poignant scene which, knowing the explanation for what happened to Angelique, was much clearer and more interesting.  I hope people will remember this scene when they finally learn the truth.
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2003, 01:03:48 PM »
Love the Angelexis....sorry, but I HATE the whole Jekyl/Hyde C.P. and hate the Buffy Harrington (dont' want to list spoilage here).
Jerry Lacy looks good in the above montage....he always does when not in 'Trask-wear'.
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2003, 02:50:27 PM »

Now when the cable company here finally gets their upgrading done so I can now watch DS again. it's PT and at this point I really don't like the show very much.  The Angelique thing is interesting since I haven't seen it since the first time around I don't remember how that turns out.  Be glad when Barn and Julia are back.

Hate the Cyrus part, he looks like he fell headfirst into an oil bucket.  I really don't think he looks very real all the makeup and so  forth.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2003, 03:53:59 PM »
I kind of like the Cyrus/John story, but I wonder if it wouldn't have been more effective if the makeup/wig department had done a better job.  If I took a potion and ended up looking like Mr. Yeager I'd throw the remaining elixir off of Widow's Hill.   I really like the job Lara Parker does with the whole Alexis/Angelique plot.  And I love Aunt Hannah, she's a hoot.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 01:32:54 AM »
It IS fun when you remember some things, though.  I know a lot of mysteries that can be more fun the second time around when you know the explanation and suddenly understand all sorts of references and little details.

This is a good point.  I've had that feeling in the past -- e.g., I'll re-watch a movie many times.  But one so often hears, "Oh, I've seen that, I know what happens.  What's the point in watching it again?"  That would seem especially true where a mystery is concerned.

So, some of the suspense and edge are taken off.  But as you say, you can observe and appreciate some of the cleverness in plotting, etc., even when you know what happens.

IluvBarnabas

Re: Parallel Time
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
I used to dislike the 1970 PT storyline tremendously, but seeing it again recently, I actually don't find it to be as bad as I used to.

First the weaknesses: Quentin and Maggie. As everyone has pointed out, Quentin is pretty much an insufferable, loud-mouth jerk who throws temper tantrums almost every other minute and Maggie a spineless jellyfish who lets Quentin walk all over her. I also don't like the 'romance' between Barnabas and Roxanne. Frankly I don't think Roxanne, this Roxanne anyway, was really needed in the plot.

The strengths: Roger with his sarcastic putdowns to Maggie, a scheming Hoffman totally devoted to Angelique (talk about quite a switch from the RT Julia Hoffman), the rocky marriage of Will and Carolyn, Cyrus/Yaeger [spoiler] (have to say I hated Yaeger for what he did to Maggie and Buffie, and to a lesser degree Cyrus too for not knowing when enough's enough for allowing his alter ego to go on with his wicked ways) [/spoiler] and the Alexis/Angelique dilemna.