Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0967  (Read 2173 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0967
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0967
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:38:20 PM »
Bad Philip Todd VO.   Where was Carolyn when all the zombies were roaming the house?   Peter Bradford was hanged for knowing how to kill Jeb?   He was hanged for murder, for pushing Jeb off a cliff, not so much for the knowing how part.   

Megan bites Philip and immediately after Megan leaves the cell, Bradford pops in.  Ever have one of those days.... when you're just sitting around in your cell waiting to be tried for murder, and your dead vampire wife appears and feeds on you, then an 18th century ghost pops in, even though he has nothing at all to do with you in any way?

Yes Jeb, strange and frightening!!   Strange and frightening!!!!!   If you say so!!

Tape player problems on Widow's Hill...  They introduce an echo that helps a bit in making it seem like a cliff outdoors.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:53 AM »
Carolyn's mini raincoat is fashionable and maybe sensible in a mist, but with the rains we're having around New England lately - forget it, kid.

Carolyn to Jeb: "I can't go away with you! You wear the same clothes every day, and frankly, my dear, you STINK!"

You know, one of these days I'm going to keep track of the number of times "What do you mean?" is heard on this show.

Jeez, Louise, don't these people ever sleep?

Christopher Bernau played a character named Roger on Guiding Light, I think. I remember my father coming home from work and asking us what deviltry Roger was up to that day. He got a real kick out of him.

Jeb faints. "What's happening?" It's your clothes, dude. They reek and are smothering you.

I totally agree with Robin V. about this plot twist. Why they brought back Peter Bradford to seek revenge for the abrupt death of Vicky, caused by Jeb, is just plain dumb.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »
Jeez, Louise, don't these people ever sleep?
When Carolyn said (without laughing) "Let's synchronize our watches," and said it was 1:30, I thought surely she had to mean 1:30 in the afternoon, but I knew it had to be nighttime.

Never having been a Victoria Winters fan, I sort of like the "Oops Vicky's dead" twist.  It makes sense that the Leviathans would try to hire her for their time-traveling needs, and it makes sense that she would recoil in ingenue-ish horror from the thought, and I imagine that during the few seconds in which she was falling to her death from Widow's Hill, she was pleased to know that she was dying in the same way that Josette did.  The timing is problematical, but given that the Leviathans managed to rope in Paul Stoddard in the 1940s and Sky Rumson in the 1960s, I think it can be worked out.  It's surprising to learn that Jeb had human form in 1795, but not impossible to figure.  The problem with 1795 was that Carolyn wasn't there to give him the soul he needed, so he abandoned all but his essence and got Barnabas to take him to 1969.  It's all terrifically romantic, and the fact that Jeb is a cheap insufferable pig is completely irrelevant.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
Could Peter Bradfords ghost be the doing of the Leviathans as a "fail safe" device should Jeb turn traitor on them as punishment?  I was thinking about this that they would tamper with his mind to go mad and use the ghost image of Peter Bradford to do so by making it believe Jeb was there in 1796 to throw Vicky off Widows Hill.

That way it never happened in reality.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:41:08 PM »
Actually, if one sorts it out, the timing of Jeb supposedly having been around in human form and having been involved in Vicki's death and the time when Barnabas was ambushed by Haza and Oberon and sent back to 1969 is well beyond problematic. But don't even get me started on all that again. I've gone into it in great detail somewhere on the forum - and this time around, rather than get into it all over again, or even look for that post, I'm just going to be happy that this storyline will be over with soon...

On a much more pleasant note, I love this shot of Meagan. It perfectly captures how little she regards Sky beyond an occasional meal:

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 03:31:14 AM »
Never having been a Victoria Winters fan, I sort of like the "Oops Vicky's dead" twist.  It makes sense that the Leviathans would try to hire her for their time-traveling needs, and it makes sense that she would recoil in ingenue-ish horror from the thought...

Interesting.   Maybe someday when I'm once again in a Jeb/Bradford justifying mood, I'll remember that idea.  Now though, I'm in Jeb/Bradford bashing mode.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »
Great theory Lydia! I had never thought of the storyline in that way.  :)  Thanks for the food for thought

Great shot of Megan MB! I love  Marie Wallace as a vampire! [spoiler]I wish she would have been one for longer but alas..[/spoiler]

I love the lighting as it adds so much to the ambiance tothe show! Great work on  the lighting technicians part!   I also always love when a storm is brewing.  It also adds to the atmosphere! 

Ugh….The biggest plot hole and contrived storyline I think that Dark Shadows has ever embarked upon! BLAH!  Again nice theory Lydia as it helps me to wrap my mind around the whole thing.

1797?  My goodness can the writers not remember something that only happened two years ago?  So Jebez was alive in 1797?? I thought his essence was in  the box? Perhaps he can turn back into an essence??

Nice shot of the foyer as the phone rings.  I love how Marie is painted as a vampire! She looks like a female impersonator.  ;)  Megan is a creepy vamp.   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »
MB, that shot of Megan and Sky is simply stunning.  It looks like a painting!

I get the impression that Marie Wallace could barely care two shakes of a rat's tail for her stint as a vampire, but I just adored how she chewed the scenery... and any available male ... in the role!  Go Marie!

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »
Actually, if one sorts it out, the timing of Jeb supposedly having been around in human form and having been involved in Vicki's death and the time when Barnabas was ambushed by Haza and Oberon and sent back to 1969 is well beyond problematic.
Maybe the original Leviathan plan was for Barnabas and Vicky to be the proud foster parents, and when Vicky was killed, they switched to Megan and Philip for that function but still found Barnabas useful in other areas.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
As someone who is a Victoria Winters fan, I think the Vicki/Jeb twist was HORRIBLE!!!!  [ghost_angry] She did not deserve such a sad and undeserved fate.

Shame on DC for throwing in this dreadful plot twist! [ghost_angry]

It should have been Paul Stoddard's ghost haunting Jeb. I realize that Dennis Patrick left at this time, but they could have found a fill-in with his ghost, just as they did with Jeremiah. I would have preferred that to screwing up Vicki's happily-ever-after ending.

I still don't buy that Jeb could have been in 1795. I agree with MB that there are too many problems with this scenerio. (Have to admit that you gave it a good try, Lydia, but I still can't swallow it).

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:47:11 AM »
It should have been Paul Stoddard's ghost haunting Jeb. I realize that Dennis Patrick left at this time, but they could have found a fill-in with his ghost, just as they did with Jeremiah.
And would they have put a bandage around his head, just as they did with Jeremiah?

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:41:49 AM »
I think it was because DC wanted to use Roger Davis in the show.

But it was really dumb.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 02:59:34 AM »
It would've been easy enough to write in a Ned scene, since he was still a character, albeit always off-camera.