Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0377  (Read 1143 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0377
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:35:43 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0377
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 02:57:49 PM »
They've fixed the portrait problem in Josette's room.  There is now a woman in a dark dress over the mantel.  I checked the episode from last week to make sure that Josette's portrait had been there, and it was.  So I suppose that last week they realized at the last minute that Josette's portrait shouldn't be there, but they didn't have time to find a substitute.

lori54 said the other day that Jeremiah's bedroom was Josette's bedroom with a few changes, and I certainly see the resemblance now that I look, but since both bedrooms were used in the same episode, they have to be different sets.  Perhaps Sy Tomashoff was so harried with creating a zillion new rooms for 1795 that he did some xeroxing.

I liked the pink-and-white striped jacket on Josette's outfit - so cheerful!

The remark about Joshua disliking tea irked me.  It was ostentatiously "we're living history now," and I doubt that it reflected reality.  The problem twenty years before had not been with the tea; it had been with the illegal tax (or anyway, the colonials claimed it was an illegal tax) on the tea.  And ships carry tea, so I think that, once the tax was eliminated, Joshua would be all for promoting the tea trade.  Hmm...when Josette was putting sugar into Naomi's tea, was she thinking of the sugar cane grown on her father's plantation, and of the slaves who died in the process?  Somehow I doubt it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:20:40 PM »
As I understand it, Americans shifted to drinking coffee because tea had become associated with the British.    The Boston Tea Party had an impact that went far beyond the tax issue, eventually.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »
I believe that it was the tax on things,  but that they didn't have any right to control of the things they paid taxes on to the crown.  England used the new world to make money.  Just llike the rest of Europe. That is one reason that all the exploration was done.  They wanted the wealth.  Usually money that is made,  rules the day.  The French helped with the revolution because they wanted to give England trouble.

Now about the show. I really liked it. I did like the sets. They did show more of the Bedrooms in this period than  they  did in the other show.  The cannapes over the beds shows that they might have bought the beds in bulk.  I think that there were 2 that had the  raised portion in the middle I think.   The  servents didn't have beds that had  cannapes.

By the way didn't the door to Jerremiahs' room move.   At one point it was on the one wall that was on the same side of the fireplace, and  one  had the door on a different wall, that make me think it was Josettes room.   But I really liked the lighting.  Speaking of lighting as the show got sad, the lighting got darker.

The costuming was great.  This was a real fantastic thing for Soap Operas, other shows didn't do the costume dramas.   I also liked Josettes dress.   I remember that Joan said that she loved  to do a period piece, the dresses made the ladies look good.

Now to the plot.  Angelique must be so happy that Jerremiah  and Josette were not fighting what was going on.  I can see why what was happening was pushing Naomi to drink even more.  Why didn't  Naomi do more to warn her son?   I am always so full of questions.  Are we susposed to think that Vickie will do something to change things and change what happened?

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:07 PM »
I don't know why Angelique claimed she couldn't stop the chain of events that she'd set in motion, not even if she wanted to. They could have easily been brought to a halt unless Angelique is so unskilled with her spells that now this one is running rampant.

I noticed that Jeremiah seems to be doing all the resisting against Josette, while she seems to simply give in to her feelings. Perhaps the spell effects women differently than men.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »
I noticed that Jeremiah seems to be doing all the resisting against Josette, while she seems to simply give in to her feelings. Perhaps the spell effects women differently than men.
Or perhaps the fact that Josette felt it before Jeremiah did makes the difference.  After all, love is a completely subjective thing, and although I think that at first, as I said the other day, Josette believed she was losing her mind, later, when the feeling for Jeremiah persisted, surely she wondered if she was in fact falling out of love with Barnabas and into love with Jeremiah – in which case it would have been cruel to Barnabas to pretend otherwise.

As I understand it, Americans shifted to drinking coffee because tea had become associated with the British.    The Boston Tea Party had an impact that went far beyond the tax issue, eventually.
They may have shifted because of the British associations, but I'm betting they stuck with coffee because of the caffeine, and told themselves it was because of the principle.  In that case, this episode was historically correct – but it was still ostentatiously historically correct.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:32:21 AM »
I also love Josette's dress; it's exquisite. [gorgeous] What Jeremiah was wearing was quite becoming, also.  Even though it was Angelique's spell, it was quite romantic to watch Jeremiah and Josette kissing.  [love3] This was the first of many times the "pitchfork spell" was cast by Angelique.  [milestone] I always thought it was neat to see the matching pitchforks!

This is a sad state of affairs - Angelique's spell on Jeremiah and Josette. I feel sorry for them, and Barnabas. [cryg] Angelique is the witch bitch! [witch]

I, too, wish they would have shown the happy times before Angelique came and caused all that trouble. [winkg] It would have been nice to have seen more of the friendship and caring relationship Jeremiah and Barnabas had - and the loving relationship between Barnabas and Josette.  [love8] While I'm at it, I would also like to see more of Sarah, too. Once the 1795 storyline happened, Sarah pretty much disappeared.  [8334]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]