Author Topic: House of Dark Shadows II  (Read 188 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
House of Dark Shadows II
« on: November 09, 2023, 02:11:38 AM »
Apparently, after the success of House of Dark Shadows, plans for the next film were to be a direct sequel, with Barnabas returning, but Jonathan Frid said no to reprising the role, so the project eventually became Night of Dark Shadows.  But if making the sequel had succeeded, I always wondered what it would be about.

At the conclusion of HoDS, many of the primary characters had gone compost:  Carolyn; Julia; Roger; Eliot, and Willie.  Those major ones remaining were Elizabeth, David, Maggie and Jeff.  Minor ones were Mrs. Johnson, Todd - who survived Carolyn - and Daphne who, I take it, survived Barnabas' attack.  Elizabeth had gone Frances Farmer; David was an orphan.  Thinking logically, what would've happened to all of them after the blood letting brought on by a now-staked Barnabas?  Elizabeth undoubtedly would've remained at Collinwood with Mrs. Johnson tending to her as she tried to figure out how to market her secret mayonnaise.  David, now a Dickensian waif with an enormous trust fund, probably would've been turned over to child protective services who would've placed him under a state guardianship and would be shipped off to an all-year prestigious boarding school, possibly in Europe, until he reaches majority.  Maggie and Jeff would take off, eloping, finding a new home far away, trying to stay incognito while he remains a struggling artist and she brings home the bacon as a school teacher.  Todd would've probably spent some time recuperating at Wyndcliffe and once his marbles are all back in place, odds are he definitely wouldn't remain in Collinsport and seek his future elsewhere.  Daphne, also mended, certainly wouldn't resume doing secretarial work for her employer who now thinks she's Queen Victoria and would seek places distant to resume her life.

So, in great bloody and violent Hammeresque style, Barnabas resurrects and what does he find?  At a now desolate Collinwood, there are two late-middle-aged women, one thinking it's 1901 and the other having her sample sandwich spread, hopefully their shared existence not turning into Blanche and Baby Jane Hudson.  He no longer has a Renfield in Willie to watch over him and drag his coffin around.  Does he even still have a coffin?  Wouldn't the police either have hauled it away as evidence or even destroyed it?  Where will Barnabas sleep the sleep of the dead?  As for his Josette, she (and her husband) are long gone and nobody knows where.

With just those remaining characters, what would a plot involving a returning Barnabas be about?  Maybe somebody knows or even has a good I-think-I-remember-hearing answer to give us.  If not, what do our DS cousins here would think would be a great storyline?

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: House of Dark Shadows II
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 04:21:12 AM »
Gerard,

I believe that “House of Dark Shadows” was written by Sam Hall and Gordon Russell. The sequel to HODS was to be called “Curse of Dark Shadows.” As you have pointed out, Jonathan Frid did not want to appear in a HODS sequel.

I really don’t know how Sam Hall and Gordon Russell could have come up with a plot, considering just how many key characters were bumped off in the first film? Could they possibly have set the second film in a parallel time band, where Julia, Willie, Carolyn, River and Professor Stokes were all still among the living? I don’t think even Stephen King or George R. R. Martin could have come up with a plot that would have satisfied DS fans like the loyal DS zealots here (but, no names, please!) on the Dark Shadows Forums.

Bob, a confessed “DS zealot.”   [smiley-riding-turkey] [hall2_rolleyes] [hall2_grin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 02:35:55 PM »
I remember reading about plans for the second film in Grayson Hall's fan club newsletter. There were two ideas for the second film. One would have been a 1795 Barnabas origin story. The parts of Jeremiah and Josette would probably have been recast, perhaps with David Selby and Kate Jackson. The second possibility was a Quentin story which is what we got. No idea why they didn't use the werewolf plot.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 03:45:02 PM »
Yes, my guess would have be a  prequel. Curse suggests vampire and or werewolf. Grayson as Magda or the Countess on the big screen would have been awesome.

In Gerard's sequel I would have Todd as a newborne werewolf, changing Magda's curse to fit the narrative and having Quentin show up when he reads reports about the murders, to help Todd rid himself of the curse. I'd have Liz as knowing the secret hoping it would never come to pass. Or switch out Todd with Amy as a female werewolf.

I think House's Barnabas has no place in a sequel set in Maine.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 03:58:24 PM »
No idea why they didn't use the werewolf plot.

I've read that DC didn't think a werewolf was scary enough. Go figure. Especially considering he would go on the do Scream of the Wolf for ABC TV.

One of the things I liked best about the Depp/DS film was that Barnabas got his Josette in the end. If they had picked up a sequel where hoDS left off, I would have loved for it to somehow come out that Maggie really is Josette's reincarnation, a resurrected Barnabas finds that out and that motivates him all the more to claim her, in the process Jeff is killed off in the most gruesome way possible (after all, DC loves his gore) to get him out of the way, and in the end Barnabas and Josette would "live" happily ever after (similar to Angelique and Charles' ending to NoDS).

That part about Jeff's death may just be me, though.  [b003]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 05:27:29 PM »
That part about Jeff's death may just be me, though.  [b003]

But how do you really feel, MB? 😁

I think a 1795 prequel would have been the most likely, and most successful, way to go for a HoDS sequel. DC would have lots of opportunity to incorporate more of the vampire gore. The 1795 TV storyline was perhaps the pinnacle of the original DS storytelling, and the 1790 segments were the best part of the 1991 series. (While I enjoyed Barbara Steele as Julia, I thought she was exceptional as Natalie.)

I have always found werewolves to be kind of boring.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 05:31:06 PM »
* Except for Chris Jennings, in a couple of instances where he was just starting to transition into werewolf, or had just transitioned back from werewolf. I think some of us can figure out why.