Author Topic: About Michael Maitland.......  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
About Michael Maitland.......
« on: April 30, 2003, 02:03:48 PM »
.....can anyone tell me if he's the same actor who appeared as Young Nathan in the Broadway musical "The Rothschilds" in the early 1970's?  I saw that....but I'm sure I don't have the Playbill anymore.  Thanks!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:About Michael Maitland.......
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 02:19:12 PM »
.....can anyone tell me if he's the same actor who appeared as Young Nathan in the Broadway musical "The Rothschilds" in the early 1970's?

Yes, he is. ;)

He actually has brown hair and is wearing a wig for this role. Could you tell? [wink2] Like who couldn't?! The wigs used on DS are nothing if not obvious! [lghy]

Incidentally, both he and David Henesy attended the same school...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2003, 02:26:18 PM »
If they wanted him to be a blond....why didn't they just DYE his hair instead of using a wig.  It would HAVE to have been cheaper, and could hardly have looked any worse!!

I'm trying to remember him in "Rothschilds".....I may have to call Abbeymarch and see if SHE remembers him any better.

Is he still acting?

And why is it public knowledge where these kids went to school?  If I were one of their mothers I'd have been pissed to think fans were waiting in the schoolyard for them!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2003, 03:16:22 PM »
If they wanted him to be a blond....why didn't they just DYE his hair instead of using a wig.  It would HAVE to have been cheaper, and could hardly have looked any worse!!

And why is it public knowledge where these kids went to school?  If I were one of their mothers I'd have been pissed to think fans were waiting in the schoolyard for them!!

I would hesitate to let my child dye his or her hair at such a young age for almost any reason.

Maybe fans stalking stars wasn't such a problem back in the late 60's early 70's as it is now.  Let's not forget about paparazzi (sp) following celebrities around everywhere and even when they take their children to school!

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2003, 04:08:21 PM »
Is he still acting?

I don't know. Maybe someone can check out the IMDb if they have time. ;)

Actually, I don't remember if we ever knew where they went to school - only that they went to the same one. But later today I can probably check out if we did know the name...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2003, 04:18:52 PM »
Actually, I don't remember if we ever knew where they went to school - only that they went to the same one. But later today I can probably check out if we did know the name...

Your dedicated attention to details on our behalf is greatly appreciated......but really.....is providing us with the name of the school these boys went to all those years ago worth taking up your obviously over-taxed time?  Shouldn't you be down in the Dungeon.....slaving away over a hot keyboard? [smrtasb]
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 04:25:21 PM »
Shouldn't you be down in the Dungeon.....slaving away over a hot keyboard? [smrtasb]

Well, I come up from the Dungeon to peruse the collection every once and a while. ;) And besides, now you've gotten me curious...

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2003, 10:37:55 PM »
 I don't know about you all but I surely cannot tell that he's wearing a wig.  This was news to me.  I remember way back when at around age 14 alot of the boys my age had hair just like that.  I also think his hair looks natural as a blonde.  I would have never guessed that his own hair color is brown.  I'll have to watch more closely tomorrow.

As for hairdying, I agree with you Miss_Winthrop on that. I wouldn't be too happy on letting my young have his hair dyed.  When my daughter was 16 and wanted to dye it one time and I told her no way.  You'll have plenty of time for that when you're older plus the chemicals in hairdye aren't all that safe.   ;)

Deb

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2003, 11:03:09 PM »
I'd hafta say along with Deb that they certainly pulled the wig over my eyes.  I had no idea that was a rug.  Back in '69, I wanted to have hair like that.

Gerard

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 12:13:10 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe Michael Maitland attended one of the DS Fests in NYC.  I seem to recall seeing his picture in one of the programs and his bio mentioning something about having a cabaret act.

Regards,

John

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2003, 12:13:11 AM »
Yep....knew a lot of boys who wore their hair like that back then.  The proof is in the school yearbooks!!!

As far as bleaching hair....it might have been odd for kids that age then, but it surely isn't odd now.  When my daughter was in junior high (I think that's how old David Collins and Michael What-ever appear to be) it was all the rage around here for boys to bleach their hair white blonde.  Not the girls...just the boys!  :P 
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2003, 12:48:13 AM »
.....can anyone tell me if he's the same actor who appeared as Young Nathan in the Broadway musical "The Rothschilds" in the early 1970's?  I saw that....but I'm sure I don't have the Playbill anymore.  Thanks!

Thought you might enjoy this page about it, Rainey--

http://www.rationalmagic.com/Bursting/Rothschilds.html

BTW, Tony-winner Keene Curtis will show up in the 1840 storyline.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2003, 01:03:17 AM »
I don't know about you all but I surely cannot tell that he's wearing a wig. 

Same here. I never seem to notice any of the wigs on the show, lol. Not until someone mentions it, at least.

I don't know. Maybe someone can check out the IMDb if they have time.

I checked and the last credited appearance they have for him on there is an guest appearance on the show Isis in 1975. His last continuing role on a series was from 1972-1973 on Search for Tomorrow.

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2003, 01:07:37 AM »
[ http://www.rationalmagic.com/Bursting/Rothschilds.html

BTW, Tony-winner Keene Curtis will show up in the 1840 storyline.

Thanks for posting that link Midnite. In addition to Mr. Curtis, I see quite a few familiar names on the cast list.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 02:35:51 AM »
I'm almost certain 16 Magazine ran a photo of MM and he was sporting his natural (dark) hair. Anyone else remember this? I remember being very surprised...or do I?

???